• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Embraer or Concorde ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Travelled up from Birmingham to Edinburgh today , the flight departure was slightly delayed but .....

We took off at 1310 and landed in Edinburgh at 1340 - I have never done the hop in half an hour before ( in hundreds of attempts)

I didn't realise they could fly that fast :lol: - if only it happened all the time the normal 40-45 mins and sometimes an hour will seem snail paced :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Probably took the 'straight through' route (the plane traveled in a straight line from Birmingham to Edinburgh) and took an international flight path at 40,000 feet where the air is thinner and the plane can travel faster

RyanB

Travelled up from Birmingham to Edinburgh today , the flight departure was slightly delayed but .....

We took off at 1310 and landed in Edinburgh at 1340 - I have never done the hop in half an hour before ( in hundreds of attempts)

I didn't realise they could fly that fast :lol: - if only it happened all the time the normal 40-45 mins and sometimes an hour will seem snail paced :oops:

There was likely a tail wind which would result in a faster journey time and due to the delay it was possibly given priority. It could also have been the case that you just happened to get to Edinburgh at just the right time and didn't have to wait to get clearance to land. I'm just making assumptions don't take any of it as being true.

Probably took the 'straight through' route (the plane traveled in a straight line from Birmingham to Edinburgh) and took an international flight path at 40,000 feet where the air is thinner and the plane can travel faster

It wouldn't have climbed to that altitude, it would waste fuel (more engine power required for a longer time period) and would likely have resulted in an even longer journey time because of the increase in the amount of time it would take to get to that altitude.

Butts

Veteran Member

It flew at 28,000 - perhaps they got wind an RailUK Forums member was onboard and cleared all UK Airspace to give us a rapid and uninterrupted flight path :p

starrymarkb

Established Member
Northerly Wind? Meaning to take off on 33 at EGBB and land on 06 at EGPH and avoiding having to head out over the Forth to start the approach?

Butts

Veteran Member
Northerly Wind? Meaning to take off on 33 at EGBB and land on 06 at EGPH and avoiding having to head out over the Forth to start the approach?

Now you come to mention it we did not go over water - landed across the A8....still I thought they could only do 500 top whack so it was good going :p

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It flew at 28,000 - perhaps they got wind an RailUK Forums member was onboard and cleared all UK Airspace to give us a rapid and uninterrupted flight path :p

You are not suggesting that they gave you the best experience they could manage in an attempt to convert you, are you? ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
You are not suggesting that they gave you the best experience they could manage in an attempt to convert you, are you? ;)

I'm ashamed to admit on this forum that I have always been on "The Dark Side" with regard to long distance UK internal travel :oops:

Cost me £29.99

Got a "Free Exit Seat" by checking in on the M/C at BHX and changing my allocated suggested seat (weakness in the system - they charge £15 if you want one as part of the original booking process)

And.......utilised the Brand New SMOKING LOUNGE whilst waiting for my flight to be called.....Lounge is a bit of a creative description....more like a smoking shelf but its got seats and its post security so who cares about delays...thankyou Imperial Tobacco even though my brand is JTI :p

And 30 minutes.....flayed the Train :roll:

Established Member
Ryanair, landing soon at Edingburgh (Teeside) Airport.

Well, I jest they've just started moving their 'miles away' airport destinations back to the main airports. For example, Reus has mostly gone and Barcelona is their main hub now.

Lampshade

Established Member

Well, I jest they've just started moving their 'miles away' airport destinations back to the main airports. For example, Reus has mostly gone and Barcelona is their main hub now.

I can see it now 'Edinburgh Teesside Airport, ideally situated and with excellent rail connections' :shock:

starrymarkb

Established Member

Well with Spanair (main hub Barcelona) folding the airport gave Ryanair a good deal to fill the void...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm ashamed to admit on this forum that I have always been on "The Dark Side" with regard to long distance UK internal travel :oops:

I've done Glasgow to Bristol in 50 minutes with Easyjet, it certainly beats 8 hours on a CrossCountry Voyager ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
There is no doubt on longer journeys the plane is a winner in most respects.

You have to compare it to 1st Class on the Train when comparing prices - who other than a nutter would sit on a Vomiter from Aberdeen to Plymouth ?

It often saves a day on the return trip - and makes a day trip feasible :p

I still have to pinch myself to believe that its fairly easy to get a flight from Edinburgh to Birmingham for £29.99 if you book in advance.

Thats cheaper than it was thirty years ago :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
who other than a nutter would sit on a Vomiter from Aberdeen to Plymouth ?

OK, how about:
People who enjoy rail travel, the time and the experience?
People with discounted or free rail travel (varying from 33% railcard to 75% Priv to 100% staff.
People scared of flying.

I'd rather do Edinburgh-London, Birmingham-Glasgow etc by rail - I enjoy it thouroughly and it is often the only time in my life I can relax and concentrate on reading etc.

Butts

Veteran Member
OK, how about:
People who enjoy rail travel, the time and the experience?
People with discounted or free rail travel (varying from 33% railcard to 75% Priv to 100% staff.
People scared of flying.

I'd rather do Edinburgh-London, Birmingham-Glasgow etc by rail - I enjoy it thouroughly and it is often the only time in my life I can relax and concentrate on reading etc.

Yes I suppose it's horses for courses - but enjoy the experience in a Vomiter in 2nd class from Aberdeen to Plymouth....come on :lol:

I take it you are not a smoker, thats the reason I like to get there fast :oops:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
No, I don't smoke. It seems almost sad to me that someone needs to get there quickly because they want to smoke :|

Ascot

Established Member
I often check the weather at Birmingham before I take off from Scotland as I know I'll be 10-15 minutes earlier landing on the southerlies than the northerlies. :p

I have found many of the Dash-8 routes are being replaced at short notice by 175s, that new carpet smell is welcoming. :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
I often check the weather at Birmingham before I take off from Scotland as I know I'll be 10-15 minutes earlier landing on the southerlies than the northerlies. :p

I have found many of the Dash-8 routes are being replaced at short notice by 175s, that new carpet smell is welcoming. :lol:

Have just come back from Southampton on a Dash (a most inappropriate name) went down Friday on an Embraer. It's a bit like expecting to go to Aberdeen on East Coast and ending up on Scotrail :oops:

WestCoast

Established Member
Have just come back from Southampton on a Dash (a most inappropriate name) went down Friday on an Embraer. It's a bit like expecting to go to Aberdeen on East Coast and ending up on Scotrail :oops:

The Dash is more like 'real flying', you know, the way it used to be. It does cruise at near jet speed though - faster than ATRs. I hear people whining they are noisy and cramped, they certainly haven't been on some of the models I've flown on!

Butts

Veteran Member
The Dash is more like 'real flying', you know, the way it used to be. It does cruise at near jet speed though - faster than ATRs. I hear people whining they are noisy and cramped, they certainly haven't been on some of the models I've flown on!

They are noisy and cramped compared to an Embraer but more importantly SLOWER......

Nostalgic experiences are not when I'm after when traversing the UK.

Actually I do like the tiny props they use for IOM and Islands runs :p

WestCoast

Established Member
They are noisy and cramped compared to an Embraer but more importantly SLOWER......

Nostalgic experiences are not when I'm after when traversing the UK.

Actually I do like the tiny props they use for IOM and Islands runs :p

We're talking rarely more than 10-15 minutes extra flying time here and when Flybe has a monopoly and the the train takes many hours, using a Dash over an Embraer is probably not a competitive disadvantage. A Dash could even be quicker than an Embraer on the same route, if it had a more favourable routing.

With the oil price heading in one direction, you might be seeing more props on short flights. I am sure Flybe have done their sums on the E175 taking into account the costs and financing deal, but will this still be as manageable with the cost of fuel in 15 years time?

Butts

Veteran Member
We're talking rarely more than 10-15 minutes extra flying time here and when Flybe has a monopoly and the the train takes many hours, using a Dash over an Embraer is probably not a competitive disadvantage. A Dash could even be quicker than an Embraer on the same route, if it had a more favourable routing.

With the oil price heading in one direction, you might be seeing more props on short flights. I am sure Flybe have done their sums on the E175 taking into account the costs and financing deal, but will this still be as manageable with the cost of fuel in 15 years time?

Agreed to an extent but on a Edinburgh - Birmingham run 15 mins extra is the equivalent of an hour extra on the train :idea:

Ascot

Established Member
I can't say I've noticed a difference in time over a Dash-8 or Jungle Jet on the Brum - Central Belt services. Only thing that causes minutes are wind direction and traffic.

Butts

Veteran Member
I can't say I've noticed a difference in time over a Dash-8 or Jungle Jet on the Brum - Central Belt services. Only thing that causes minutes are wind direction and traffic.

From my experience the initial announcement on an Embraer is 45 mins flying time normally to Brum and 55 mins on a Dash.

Going to Southampton it is further and the flying time differential is considerably wider on occasions.

It is my belief that if they utilised both craft to their maximum ability (floored it :roll:) these times could be even better :p

starrymarkb

Established Member
From my experience the initial announcement on an Embraer is 45 mins flying time normally to Brum and 55 mins on a Dash.

Going to Southampton it is further and the flying time differential is considerably wider on occasions.

It is my belief that if they utilised both craft to their maximum ability (floored it :roll:) these times could be even better :p

They will usually have the EJets set to Long Range Cruise (which is minimum fuel burn) with faster available if they need to make up time.

On larger aircraft the economy is set using a 'Cost Index' - higher CI = faster but more fuel burnt. BA use 20 (max is 100) on their Airbuses, Easyjet use 12.

Butts

Veteran Member
They will usually have the EJets set to Long Range Cruise (which is minimum fuel burn) with faster available if they need to make up time.

On larger aircraft the economy is set using a 'Cost Index' - higher CI = faster but more fuel burnt. BA use 20 (max is 100) on their Airbuses, Easyjet use 12.

So if Flybe set the E-Jets to maximum on an Embraer between Edinburgh and Southampton how quickly could it get down there ?

Flying time is about 60-70mins normally:p

Status
Not open for further replies.