• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Embsay & Peak Rail Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

Are there any plans and could it be possible infact, to extend the Embsay Steam Railway line back into Skipton Station, I think there is a link/siding that runs close by from the mainline.?

Likewise, could Peak Rail, now they go into Matlock, ever extend to Bakewell/Buxton, which would give a longer run and also be an extra attraction for those towns which are popular with visitors?

(Is there a run around loop that peak rail use at Matlock station, or do they have to top and tail or use a siding like the Spa Valley Railway does at Eridge?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
I imagine Peak Rail would like to extend to Bakewell, but I'm not sure how accessible the old track bed now is. Beyond there, through Monsal Dale, some of the trackbed is used as a cycle/footpath.

There is no run-round loop at Matlock, so their trains are top and tailed.
Matlock station itself is interesting - Peak rail have re-opened the platform nearest Sainsbury's, while EMT still use the other platform, but there is a link at the west end from the Network Rail line to the Peak Rail line.

John Webb

Established Member
The Embsay line does have long-term plans, I am told, to reconnect to the Grassington branch and thus obtain entry to Skipton Station. But the 'interface' between NR's signalling and the Embsay's signalling will take some sorting out - and the platform(s) at Skipton will need a lot of work as well to make them safe and accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.