'Emergency Engineering Work' Near Leeds (13/04)

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Starmill, 13 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

I'm currently at York, and the 0652 service to Manchester Airport has been announced as cancelled due to emergency Enginiering Work near Leeds. I can't seem to paste it, so maybe someone could below, but there are currently 3 disruption events on NRE - two on the ECML and one that will apparently last until the end of service, seeing reduced services all day between York and Manchester Airport, and Leeds - Huddersfield.

Are they linked, and what's happened? I notice the 0620 from Leeds to Manchester Airport was also cancelled.

EDIT: I can't find the 0652 departure from York in the timetable or on NRE. In what sense has it been 'cancelled'
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    The 0555 service from Middlesbrough has arrived at York in P3...with Manchester Airport on the front and passengers who aren't getting off... the strange thing is the 0652 departure from York isn't listed as cancelled, it's simply vanished. How ...?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    It looks like that train will be coupled to the 0630 from Scarborough to Manchester Airport. Surprising there's capacity to just leave it sat in platform 3 for 35 minutes...

2. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

Basically they're trying to thin out the trains because of a track defect on the diamond crossover at Whitehall Jcn as I posted yesterday and could last for 3 days
    http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2136271#post2136271

Trains from Bradford Int are having to crossover at Wortley Jcn and basically come into Leeds facing road in essence. Same with trains coming into Leeds from Wakefield Westgate or use the Copley cord. Will also affect the freight trains that sit next to the wall between Whitehall and Armley Jcns as they won't be able to access that line

3. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

4. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Seems to be a bit of unit roulette going on at Leeds as well today.

I declined to get my expected train home (normally a standing room only 3-car 144) which turned up as a 2-carriage Merseyrail pacer.

Waited an hour, and the next train (usually a comfortably loaded 3-carriage 144) turned out to be a 158 :D

5. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Surprised TPE didn't divert via Normanton to ease the pressure.

6. BantamMenace

BantamMenace Member

The Network Rail test train went up the Aire valley from Derby on route to Heaton yesterday and returned the same way today.

Did this spot the defect that has caused this work to be carried out?

Is it usual for the test trains to pick up defects that are deemed serious enough to be fixed before another train passes over them?

7. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Which test train was it?

8. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

I saw it at Leeds yesterday afternoon. Mk 2's a 37 (couldn't see the loco at the other end).

9. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    In answer to the original question , and using the above information, i would say possibly but unlikely.

10. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

The defect was found overnight sat/Sunday. Yesterday's test train was TnT 37s. Everyday is unit roulette with Northern.

11. wensley

wensley Established Member

The defect already existed but had deteriroated faster than expected when examined as part of a planned manual inspection as stated above ... hence the reduction in traffic and subsequent faffing to work trains round on their way in and out of Leeds!

12. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

I thought found would have covered found to be of a nature that made it unsafe to run trains over it because of a preexisting defect but thought it was a little wordy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.