• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency last thing in the cupboard meal, and other culinary adventures under confinement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
There's a carton of UHT milk in the back of my cupboard that was "gifted" to me by my Granny when I left home a year and a half ago. Probably that, or the tin of spam that came with it.

(Obviously I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm never going to use those two particular items)
Spam fritters, with a poached egg on top. Yum. :D

ComUtoR

Established Member
I found some Dwarf Bread in the back of the cupboard this morning. The best of which means you'll never go hungry.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Probably sold in various survival stores, along with some Kendal Mint Cake.

trainophile

Established Member
I found half a tin of dried milk dated August 2018 in the back of the cupboard. Had to throw it away, it was vile. Sank to the bottom of my coffee every time I stirred it back through.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh dear.

I can work out what that's meant to be, and it's probably very tasty, but something "perinasal" sounds a bit, er, snotty...

:D

It is what it says it is, and it's very nice. Basically what you get if you mix mayonnaise and Nando's peri peri sauce. Not totally dissimilar to Subway Chipotle Southwest Sauce (which is also lovely), but not quite the same.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is this a discworld reference or a real thing?

The late, great Terry Pratchett at his best.

The other week I was out with another Driver and they remarked on the various bars of chocolate in my bag. I just said they were my Dwarf Bread and only have one when I'm really hungry. Suffice to say, they didn't get it.

I think the true skill with his crafting of the Discworld was how much it referenced real life.

nidave

The late, great Terry Pratchett at his best.

The other week I was out with another Driver and they remarked on the various bars of chocolate in my bag. I just said they were my Dwarf Bread and only have one when I'm really hungry. Suffice to say, they didn't get it.

I think the true skill with his crafting of the Discworld was how much it referenced real life.
I have got the audiobooks as I could never get into reading them for some reason - they are really well done - he comes up with things which are almost but not quite unlike reality (to butcher HHTTG) .
You might like Magic 2.0 series - One of my favourite modern series or the Bobverse trilogy.

Essan

I have 2 small christmas puddings and a christmas cake bought in 2018 (so should just about be ready to eat) at the back of my pantry

Also, a bag of dried "soup mix" - basically lentils, peas, beans, bulger wheat etc that needs soaking overnight and will add least fill me up if nothing else.

I think I need more curry powder though. You can eat anything so long as you add enough curry powder :D

trainophile

Established Member
I have 2 small christmas puddings and a christmas cake bought in 2018 (so should just about be ready to eat) at the back of my pantry

Also, a bag of dried "soup mix" - basically lentils, peas, beans, bulger wheat etc that needs soaking overnight and will add least fill me up if nothing else.

I think I need more curry powder though. You can eat anything so long as you add enough curry powder :D

Careful with the curry powder, don't forget there's no loo rolls! :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I found some Dwarf Bread in the back of the cupboard this morning. The best of which means you'll never go hungry.
Have you got any of C.M.O.T Dibbler’s pies..?

Howardh

Established Member
I've enough for thirty days, and I'm also fattening up my two wood pigeon visitors....

SHD

(Mods, you may want to move this to the COVID section !)

I know that one essential difference between the UK and France is that you stand by fresh milk while we rely on UHT, long shelf life milk.

So, if you have extra fresh milk that won’t last, there’s no better time than now to try and make your own dulce de leche (South American style fudge).

For one liter of milk, use 250 g sugar, a pinch of baking soda, and a tablespoon of vanilla extract or a cut of a vanilla pod.

Put everything in a pan.

Stir well and boil.
Let simmer for at least 1hr. The milk will gradually turn brown. Stir gently & frequently.
When an hour has passed, it’s time for some exercise!
Increase heat, and keep stirring (with a wooden spoon) strongly, until you get the viscosity of a thick gravy. It should take ~20 minutes.
Don’t evaporate further, it will get stiffer by cooling down. (unless you prefer thick and chewy fudge to dulce de leche!)

It will keep in the fridge for two weeks at least. And it’s full of goodness.

(be careful, the boiling milk & sugar mixture is not only very hot, but it sticks. So protect your hands)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you have excess milk just shove it in the freezer. It amazes me how many people don't know that milk freezes and defrosts just fine. No need for UHT garbage.

SHD

If you have excess milk just shove it in the freezer. It amazes me how many people don't know that milk freezes and defrosts just fine. No need for UHT garbage.

Try it and you’ll see that dulce de leche tastes much better than frozen milk on pancakes.

Howardh

Established Member
It does, but right now there seems to be plenty of fresh milk in the stores. But long-life...zilch.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Personally, I think SuperNoodles are go to at this time.

They don't expire for ages and they are also very cheap and compact.

broadgage

SHD

Largely replaced by "lifeboat rations" these days. several suppliers sell these. A small packet is said to feed a person for three days, presuming little activity as would be the case in a lifeboat.
One pack a day will sustain a person working hard. They are eaten straight from the packet with no preparation needed.

https://evaq8.co.uk/Survival-Food-R...kg-2500-kcal-long-life-survival-biscuits.html

Well this supplier seems awfully busy at the moment.
These biscuits must be perfect when generously covered in dulce de leche.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Looking through the kitchen of the house that we relocated to a few weeks ago, we found an unmarked cardboard box neatly sealed with brown tape that must have come over with the move. It contains about 15 packets of "Pasta 'n Sauce" of four different "flavours". All seem to be well sealed, so perhaps they can be used as a light mid-day meal on their own.

We are currently enjoying hot beakers of Oxo, made from those iconic stock cubes, as a regular change from tea or coffee.

SHD

Looking through the kitchen of the house that we relocated to a few weeks ago, we found an unmarked cardboard box neatly sealed with brown tape that must have come over with the move. It contains about 15 packets of "Pasta 'n Sauce" of four different "flavours". All seem to be well sealed, so perhaps they can be used as a light mid-day meal on their own.

Add entertainment to the meal and perform a blind-test of the "different" "flavours" :lol:

We are currently enjoying hot beakers of Oxo, made from those iconic stock cubes, as a regular change from tea or coffee.

Good! And now is a good time to make your own stock. It's very easy, and you can freeze it in cubes.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Those packets will last for ever. I have a couple in for emergency rations. You should be able to split one for your lunch

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Make a veg soup with your odds and ends

Status
Not open for further replies.