• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency services attend Winsford station after person hit by train (08/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockport1

http://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/n...d_Winsford_station_after_person_hit_by_train/

EMERGENCY services have been called to Winsford train station this evening after a person was hit by a train.

Network Rail said the line was blocked following the incident that happened shortly before 7pm on Tuesday.

Eyewitnesses have told the Guardian the damage to the train could be seen from Bradbury Road once the train had stopped.

They also said the incident happened at the station itself.

On Facebook Tresa Harris said: "I was sat at the station at the time waiting for Crewe train.

"Police suddenly everywhere all happened so fast. People were crying so sad that someone felt they had to do this. "Thoughts with their family and friends tonight going to be awful for them."

It is understood the 4.30pm Virgin Pendlino service from London Euston was involved in the incident...
I heard the train shuddering at about 90mph through winsford station and thought "hmm strange". Appears it was this tragedy in progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RAPC

I was on the service in question tonight, the 16.30 Euston to Glasgow. The train was in reverse formation and I was in coach A at the rear of the train. Even at the back, there was a sound that we thought was us hitting some debris, sadly it was a fatality.

Staff were clearly a bit shaken up on board and my thoughts are with the driver in particular. Passengers from what I saw were all very sensible on board, realising the severity of the situation rather than moaning about the delay.

So sad that somebody felt they had to take their own life in this way.

A0wen

On Moderation
Wasn't the only one yesterday the MML had one north of Bedford which resulted in no trains between Bedford & Kettering from about 1.30pm.

Disruption continued into the evening peak with trains being curtailed at Leicester and late running.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was on the service in question tonight, the 16.30 Euston to Glasgow. The train was in reverse formation and I was in coach A at the rear of the train. Even at the back, there was a sound that we thought was us hitting some debris, sadly it was a fatality.

Staff were clearly a bit shaken up on board and my thoughts are with the driver in particular. Passengers from what I saw were all very sensible on board, realising the severity of the situation rather than moaning about the delay.

How do you know the person took his/her own life. Could have been a trespasser.

SPADTrap

Established Member

Regardless of an individuals motives for being on the tracks they are a trespasser.

Last edited:

RAPC

I am taking the feedback given to us from the staff (on a one to one basis when asked in the shop, not the PA) on the service who mentioned that the driver had said that the person had killed themself and jumped in front.

I also saw a couple of news articles talking of witnesses seeing someone jump in front at the station, which again seems to point to it being a suicide, rather than an accident.

Whatever the reason the or motivation, all very sad.

pemma

Veteran Member

While I accept there's no evidence in the article to say it was suicide the double track of the section of the WCML through Winsford and Hartford seems to be a popular place for suicides - possibly the high speeds and knowing which line the train will be on are the causes of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Winsford and Hartford should be staffed. Even for an ordinary passenger they do not feel safe as they are so isolated.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Winsford and Hartford should be staffed. Even for an ordinary passenger they do not feel safe as they are so isolated.

Not to mention Acton Bridge which is isolated with the down platform not being the widest (and no PIS to shout when a non stop train is due to fly through)

A0wen

On Moderation

Relevance of this comment?

In what way do they feel 'unsafe' ? There are loads of unstaffed stations across the network.

And I'm not sure having the station staffed would have changed yesterday's events.

pemma

Veteran Member

Hartford is staffed at the following times:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 06:00 - 17:00
Friday 06:00 - 19:00
Saturday 07:00 - 15:00
Sunday 10:35 - 12:00

While Winsford is staffed at the following times:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 07:00 - 12:00
Friday, Saturday 07:00 - 15:00
Sunday Closed

They are unstaffed from earlier than they were when the LM franchise started. I don't see the point of a ticket office closing at 3pm on Saturday, there's presumably a considerable number of people who head to Liverpool for a Saturday evening.

Although, not sure of the relevance of staffing to this thread.

Llanigraham

Established Member

Exactly why do you think this?
Do they have a history of anti-social behaviour?
Are you willing to pay for these staff in increased ticket prices?
How is this relevant to this discussion?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Reading between the lines, the implication would be that the poster believed this incident wasn't a suicide, rather trespass for the purpose of misdemeanour that ended tragically.

Given the consensus appears to be it was suicide, and that there appears to be no evidence that staffing of stations deters either suicides or trespass for other reasons, it appears to be moot.

Reading the reports on this forum of 'one-unders' there appears to be an even spread between staffed and unstaffed station.

Further, while Winsford is not one of Cheshire's finest towns and the station remote, there are plenty of other open parts of the line at which the local mensa chapter can congregate.

Hartford station is pretty much the centre of the village, with a popular pub opposite and about 2, 000 houses close by.

TL;DR: moot point.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Reading between the lines, the implication would be that the poster believed this incident wasn't a suicide, rather trespass for the purpose of misdemeanour that ended tragically.

Given the consensus appears to be it was suicide, and that there appears to be no evidence that staffing of stations deters either suicides or trespass for other reasons, it appears to be moot.

Reading the reports on this forum of 'one-unders' there appears to be an even spread between staffed and unstaffed station.

Further, while Winsford is not one of Cheshire's finest towns and the station remote, there are plenty of other open parts of the line at which the local mensa chapter can congregate.

Hartford station is pretty much the centre of the village, with a popular pub opposite and about 2, 000 houses close by.

TL;DR: moot point.

What posters lines are you reading between to conclude they believed this was misadventure, I assume you mean?

neilb62

One of our Drivers, by all accounts he's okay but shaken. I drove the 16.30 today and thought of him near the site....

MK Tom

Established Member

Was that the unit that formed the 15:47 from Milton Keynes Central to Euston? I caught that into London yesterday and it was in reverse.

holl1984

19 year old lad from Runcorn.

My father lives on Bradbury road and the train came to a stop directly behind his house.

theironroad

Established Member
The local paper linked in the OP and now updated, says it is a 19 year old, named as Josh Heston.

Thoughts and prayers for his family, a young life tragically ended and whatever what was in his mind.

Thoughts and prayers also to the driver who has to live through the horror in real time and all other staff who have to react and respond to another individual tragedy.

holl1984

He had mental health issues and his best friend saw it Happen. Just awful for everyone concerned.

RAPC

One of our Drivers, by all accounts he's okay but shaken. I drove the 16.30 today and thought of him near the site....

Glad to hear it. As a passenger on the service, there were a number of us thinking of him whilst on the service.

Thanks to everyone with the update on the 19 year old lad who has been named as well. Thoughts with his family as well. Can't even imagine how they are feeling at the moment.

Last edited:

ScouserGirl

As a young person myself who suffers from Anxiety and Depression the mental health services are poor in this country so we don't get the help :( its so sad that he felt this was the only option :'(

People were moaning over the delays as they just wanted to get home, this poor lads family and best friend will never get him home it's so heartbreaking!

My thoughts go out to everyone who was involved involved in this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.