• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency stopping brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
why not just use drag anchors on stretchy cables that hook into the sleepers? Far more efficient than parachutes?
More seriously surely there must be a way of using something akin to the Fell rail brake that just clamps onto the normal rail heads so giving extra surface contact? I realise points would need some thinking about

najaB

Veteran Member
why not just use drag anchors on stretchy cables that hook into the sleepers? Far more efficient than parachutes?
More seriously surely there must be a way of using something akin to the Fell rail brake that just clamps onto the normal rail heads so giving extra surface contact?
There is. Magnetic track brakes. As discussed about ten posts ago, with pictures and everything.

randyrippley

Established Member
There is. Magnetic track brakes. As discussed about ten posts ago, with pictures and everything.

I realise that, but I was thinking more on the lines of pure friction - or even rheostatic with drag wheels clamping onto the rail head. Simpler technology than electromagnets

AndrewE

Established Member
I realise that, but I was thinking more on the lines of pure friction - or even rheostatic with drag wheels clamping onto the rail head. Simpler technology than electromagnets

"drag wheels clamping onto the rail head" does not sound any simpler than the electro-magnet that just sticks to the rails and, as pointed out earlier, the power of rheostatic braking diminishes with the speed (and still depends on wheel-rail adhesion, unlike the electromagnetic option.)

najaB

Veteran Member
What 'simpler technology' is going to allow your drag wheels to provide significant braking effect when needed, but not interfere with normal operation?

And rheostatic braking has more moving parts than magnetic track brakes.

Domh245

Established Member
What 'simpler technology' is going to allow your drag wheels to provide significant braking effect when needed, but not interfere with normal operation?

Any system like that will also likely lead to damage to either the permanent way or the train itself, which in both cases is not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.