• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emirates Air Line - usage by tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Abpj17

How is it getting subsidised by the taxpayer?

TfL is 90% fare funded, so any taxpayer contribution would be relatively small versus the TfL fare payer subsidy....

WatcherZero

Established Member
How is it getting subsidised by the taxpayer?

TfL is 90% fare funded, so any taxpayer contribution would be relatively small versus the TfL fare payer subsidy....

Its actually around 45% fare and local tax funded according to last years accounts, 43% of funding comes from Whitehall and the rest is other income like property income, 3rd party contributions and advertising.

Wolfie

Established Member

Antman

Established Member
I took my 8 year old granddaughter on it recently and she loved it, so much so that when she got home she told her younger sister all about it and now I've got to take her on it.

I was surprised how busy it was at about midday on a Monday although most users appeared to be tourists.

Daz28

Interesting and just possibly of highly questionable legality. Given that all London Council taxpayers pay for tfl why should those who live in certain boroughs be singled out?

Presumably the same logic why local residents get a huge discount on the Dartford Crossing?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Interesting and just possibly of highly questionable legality. Given that all London Council taxpayers pay for tfl why should those who live in certain boroughs be singled out?

When the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich started charging admission fees in the 1980s, the first of the national museums to do so, residents of the London Boroughs of Greenwich and Lewisham were still granted free admission, so precedents exist.

Butts

Veteran Member
When the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich started charging admission fees in the 1980s, the first of the national museums to do so, residents of the London Boroughs of Greenwich and Lewisham were still granted free admission, so precedents exist.

It should be free to visitors from Scotland :p (The cable car)

National Maritime Museum is Free now is it not ?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Presumably the same logic why local residents get a huge discount on the Dartford Crossing?
Isn't today the day it goes up in price, as well as starting to generate a small fortune in penalties for the many that will forget to pay on time, or altogether?

What a lucrative contract for something full paid for and where we were once told the toll would go completely.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It should be free to visitors from Scotland :p (The cable car)

National Maritime Museum is Free now is it not ?

Yes, the one in Greenwich is but not its outpost in Falmouth,Cornwall. The various Tate Galleries around the country also have free admission with the exception of the St Ives, Cornwall branch. Cornwall has the lowest wages of anywhere in England. Go figure!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Isn't today the day it goes up in price, as well as starting to generate a small fortune in penalties for the many that will forget to pay on time, or altogether?

What a lucrative contract for something full paid for and where we were once told the toll would go completely.

And North Sea oil would mean we'd all be lying on hammocks being tempted with morsels from handmaidens (or handjocks, according to your predilictions).:lol:.
Still working, aged 66

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, the one in Greenwich is but not its outpost in Falmouth,Cornwall. The various Tate Galleries around the country also have free admission with the exception of the St Ives, Cornwall branch. Cornwall has the lowest wages of anywhere in England. Go figure!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Probably due to the number of "White Settlers" with Holiday Homes :lol:

The National Maritime Museum in Aberdeen is Free !!!

burneside

A bit off-topic, but I am surprised there has been no mention of the latest folly in which Boris is involved - the Garden Bridge. Just like the cable car, this was proposed to be wholly funded by private finance, but - if built - will drain £30 million from TfL's budget, and a further £30m from general taxation.

From http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boris-gives-garden-bridge-final-go-ahead/

Designed by Thomas Heatherwick, the bridge was originally meant to be built without public funding but Mayor Johnson later ordered Transport for London to contribute £30m to the project.

A further £30m has been pledged by the UK Government with the balance of the estimated £175m costs to be raised from private donations.

Despite receiving taxpayer funding the bridge will be classed as private space the public will have no guaranteed access right to use it. Groups of more than 8 people will need to request permission to cross it together.

In addition, the bridge will be closed at night and the Garden Bridge Trust, which will own the bridge, say cycles will be banned from crossing it.

So the taxpayer is going to fleeced for yet another vanity project.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A bit off-topic, but I am surprised there has been no mention of the latest folly in which Boris is involved - the Garden Bridge. Just like the cable car, this was proposed to be wholly funded by private finance, but - if built - will drain £30 million from TfL's budget, and a further £30m from general taxation.

From http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boris-gives-garden-bridge-final-go-ahead/

Designed by Thomas Heatherwick, the bridge was originally meant to be built without public funding but Mayor Johnson later ordered Transport for London to contribute £30m to the project.

A further £30m has been pledged by the UK Government with the balance of the estimated £175m costs to be raised from private donations.

Despite receiving taxpayer funding the bridge will be classed as private space the public will have no guaranteed access right to use it. Groups of more than 8 people will need to request permission to cross it together.

In addition, the bridge will be closed at night and the Garden Bridge Trust, which will own the bridge, say cycles will be banned from crossing it.

So the taxpayer is going to fleeced for yet another vanity project.

Note the name of the designer. Once again Boris Johnson is using public money for his patronage, and also avoiding any flak in opposing a pet project of Joanna Lumley's.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I travelled on this on Tuesday, and was surprised at the number that were there at the same time.

I crossed from North (Royal Victoria Dock) to South (Greenwich Peninsula) at around 11.00am, and there must have been around thirty to forty people in the queue. On arrival at the other side, there was probably a similar number waiting to cross from the South, although how many of them were on a one way trip (like me), I couldn't say.

Here's the rub, though .... I'd say that 100% of the people I saw at both ends were tourists. Now this is fine if it can be sustained, but can it? From a very brief look around both the north and south areas, there doesn't seem to be too many large businesses immediately near to either terminal, although there are quite a few a short distance away (i.e. Canary Wharf etc.).

I decided to make the crossing before I saw this thread because I like travelling on this form of transport. However, having done it, I'm not planning on doing it again - unless I go from South to North en route to somewhere else, that is. If you like this sort of thing, I'd recommend it!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Offhand I can't see any reason why non-tourists would use the line regularly, when the journey can be made reasonably conveniently and considerably more cheaply via Canning Town on the Jubilee line/DLR. Indeed almost all people arriving at North Greenwich will already be on the Jubilee line or will be arriving at the bus station - from where I believe the walk to the Jubilee line is shorter than the walk to the cable car, making the cable car both more expensive and arguably less convenient. So really the only reason to use the cable car is for the nice view - or you're cycling and want to take a cycle across the river with you - since you can do that in the cable car but not in the Jubilee line.

For commuters or regular travellers, I'd imagine that once you've seen the view a few times, the attraction of it will quickly wear off. So it doesn't seem very surprising to me that almost the only people using it are tourists.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Offhand I can't see any reason why non-tourists would use the line regularly, when the journey can be made reasonably conveniently and considerably more cheaply via Canning Town on the Jubilee line/DLR. Indeed almost all people arriving at North Greenwich will already be on the Jubilee line or will be arriving at the bus station - from where I believe the walk to the Jubilee line is shorter than the walk to the cable car, making the cable car both more expensive and arguably less convenient. So really the only reason to use the cable car is for the nice view - or you're cycling and want to take a cycle across the river with you - since you can do that in the cable car but not in the Jubilee line.

For commuters or regular travellers, I'd imagine that once you've seen the view a few times, the attraction of it will quickly wear off. So it doesn't seem very surprising to me that almost the only people using it are tourists.

I can see some doing it, but only if it was brought within the travelcard.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I have received this message today:

"I am writing to let you know that Emirates Air Line will be closed for a week from Monday 16 March for planned maintenance and will reopen on Monday 23 March.

This closure allows us to carry out essential maintenance, to ensure continuing service reliability and safety. By carrying out this work now, we avoid the need for further planned closures this year."

It was signed by Danny Price, Head of Emirates Air Line.

MCR247

Established Member
I'd hate to be on any alternative routes during the morning peak with all those extra passengers :lol:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

"I am writing to let you know that Emirates Air Line will be closed for a week from Monday 16 March for planned maintenance and will reopen on Monday 23 March.

This closure allows us to carry out essential maintenance, to ensure continuing service reliability and safety. By carrying out this work now, we avoid the need for further planned closures this year."

This is an annual occurance.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Service suspended, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.