• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emirates Air Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Why does 'cruising at an altitude of' have to mean you're flying without wires? I can cruise along in my car, but I'm not flying either. Or on a boat. And I could state I was cruising at nn feet and still be on the ground or on water.

I think there's a sense of humour failure here somewhere.

EH?

Think you may have quoted the wrong person there. Im all for it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snail

Established Member
Reading the rest of the thread there is a very serious failure! Same goes for the attitude of those who want to travel on the 'line' (sic) but think having to pay a couple of quid extra for the privilege is too much.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Think you may have quoted the wrong person there. Im all for it.

No, I quoted the right person - but was trying to support you by adding to your argument. Sorry if it didn't come over like that!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I would disagree here. By itself the 'you are cruising at...' could have been quite funny, but the problem is it's not by itself. It's accompanied by branding the cablecar as an 'airline' (it's not, it's a cablecar), sticking 'emirates' on the station names even though there's nothing remotely around either station to justify it. In my view that's gone way beyond humour into the downright misleading, and for me, that stops it from being funny. I'll grant that it's highly unlikely that any locals are going to be actually misled, because people who live locally will know about the cablecar anyway, but it's not beyond the bounds of plausibility that a foreign tourist who knows little about London could be quite confused by it.

I don't mind funny, and I don't mind advertising. But when you see something that is definitely advertising, but which has been branded in a way to try to make it look like it isn't advertising, and twists facts round in the process, warning bells ought to be ringing. For me, the dishonest way the cablecar is being marketed is definitely a disincentive to my using it. (I probably will in the end out of curiosity, but it'll definitely be later than it would've been if the marketing had been honest).

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would disagree here. By itself the 'you are cruising at...' could have been quite funny, but the problem is it's not by itself. It's accompanied by branding the cablecar as an 'airline' (it's not, it's a cablecar), sticking 'emirates' on the station names even though there's nothing remotely around either station to justify it. In my view that's gone way beyond humour into the downright misleading, and for me, that stops it from being funny. I'll grant that it's highly unlikely that any locals are going to be actually misled, because people who live locally will know about the cablecar anyway, but it's not beyond the bounds of plausibility that a foreign tourist who knows little about London could be quite confused by it.

I don't mind funny, and I don't mind advertising. But when you see something that is definitely advertising, but which has been branded in a way to try to make it look like it isn't advertising, and twists facts round in the process, warning bells ought to be ringing. For me, the dishonest way the cablecar is being marketed is definitely a disincentive to my using it. (I probably will in the end out of curiosity, but it'll definitely be later than it would've been if the marketing had been honest).

Does this also mean you have an objection to the London Eye? It was sponsored initially by BA so also took the name 'flight' which has stuck with it since. I wonder whether it was partially this existing connection that caused Emirates/TFL to name the crossing as a flight.

Clip

Established Member
I don think its misleading at all.

Its sponsored by Emirates. Who are an airline. The word 'Airline' itself is actually hyphenated on all publicity to differentiate between an aircraft and what it is. A line that goes through the air.

You would have to be pretty dense to even try and think that you would be getting on a plane between the two points when looking at the tube map.

An all round clever play on words which incorporates the sponsor. who happen to be an airline.

burneside

Does this also mean you have an objection to the London Eye? It was sponsored initially by BA so also took the name 'flight' which has stuck with it since. I wonder whether it was partially this existing connection that caused Emirates/TFL to name the crossing as a flight.

I've always thought it a bit ridiculous to call a ride on a Ferris wheel a "flight", but I guess that's the marketing boys for you.

jon0844

Veteran Member
While there's bound to be one idiot out there that thinks s/he is getting on a flight to cross the Thames, I really don't think we'll be hearing about this 'problem' on Watchdog anytime soon.

I think the fact that it's a line that goes in the air is a perfectly clever, and amusing, play on words. Cruising doesn't mean flying, nor does the use of the word altitude. However, they're all words used when flying - which is what makes it clever, not misleading.

stut

Established Member
No objection to the name, personally, I agree that it's a nice little pun.

I just tire of the same old bunch of spivs trying to flog me stuff everywhere I turn - that's what all this constant sponsorship feel like.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I have to admit I wasn't aware that the London Eye referred to trips as 'flights'. I personally would not choose that word, and on reflection would say the London Eye shouldn't have used it. However, I don't think that's anything like as bad as the cablecar marketing: The fundamental difference is the company behind the London Eye has not to my knowledge tried to falsely claim it is something it is not.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Its sponsored by Emirates. Who are an airline. The word 'Airline' itself is actually hyphenated on all publicity to differentiate between an aircraft and what it is. A line that goes through the air.

I doubt that a hyphen (plus a capital letter - I've seen it with the L capitalized) is going to make much difference. It's clearly designed to be read as if it's an airline, and I'd imagine many casual readers won't consciously notice the hyphen.

I was under the impression that normally when a company sponsored something, in return they'd get advertising - their logo will likely be on the sponsored thing, as something that is obviously an advert, and quite possibly with 'sponsored by' somewhere in the text. That's in a very different ballpark from falsely implying that the thing sponsored is the same as the sponsoring organization.

You would have to be pretty dense to even try and think that you would be getting on a plane between the two points when looking at the tube map.

Agreed, most ordinary people are not going to think that. However it is marketed and even listed on TfL tube maps as if it is an airline, and, besides being dishonest, it doesn't seem unreasonable that that will cause some puzzlement to people who don't know what it actually is.

An all round clever play on words which incorporates the sponsor. who happen to be an airline.

I agree. As a play on words, it is clever. But whether it's clever or not has no bearing on whether or not it's dishonest.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's a brand and might change name later on, when the sponsorship ends (which will probably cause more confusion) but it's still a cablecar. If you asked where the cablecar service is, you'd presumably be told.

I really don't think anyone will think it's an airline. Taking a flight to get over the Thames would seem a little OTT.

34D

Established Member
A friend sent me a pic of the paper boarding pass, it appears they use the same ticketing system as was used by TfL Ticket Agents when they sold paper passes.

aas5MKee.jpg

Whenever I bought travelcards from corner shops, they were always blank pieces of card with two rubber stamps applied with the date. I guess that some of the bigget corner shops had an actual printer?

Has anyone boarded this aircraft headed for the Arsenal football stadium yet?

Its cheaper than the cable cars at Alton Towers anyway :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
If anyone is offended by the use of 'air-line' and other aviation 'terms' then what will they make of this? :)

FlyTheTrainToStansted.jpg

Manchester77

Established Member
what about this one?

IMO its quite a good piece of marketing. The public perception is that lanes are quicker than trains. But I don't know what virgin claim is true. If it is true then it's an attempt to pull people in. Anyone understand what I'm waffling on about??:D

CC 72100

Established Member
Quick question: I take it TFL travelcards are not valid for use on this?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That is correct, give it a while and I should imagine it will be :smile: That isn't in the foreseeable future. Using a travelcard does give you discount off of your Boarding Pass.

TP

burneside

Twitter message from the cable car this morning: The Emirates Air Line currently has no service due to a large vessel passing through the area.

Didn't they build it high enough?

Clip

Established Member
Twitter message from the cable car this morning: The Emirates Air Line currently has no service due to a large vessel passing through the area.

Its high enough but there was a massive cruise ship awaiting by the docks yesterday and im sure it was just a precaution as it looked bloody huge.

Why take risks?

burneside

Its high enough but there was a massive cruise ship awaiting by the docks yesterday and im sure it was just a precaution as it looked bloody huge.

Why take risks?

Cruise ships berthing in Greenwich is a fairly common occurrence, so much so that a new cruise terminal is planned to be built which will result in even more ships visiting, thus increasing the cable car closures . The PLA suddenly sat up and took notice only last week.

http://www.pla.co.uk/notice2mariner...able_car_crossing_reporting_requirements1.pdf

Interesting to note that TfL are now giving away free tickets to locals, and that passenger usage in the first two weeks of operation has not exactly been overwhelming at 130,000. That works out at about 700 per hour, a far cry from the each-way capacity of 2500 ph.

http://snipelondon.com/scoop/thousands-of-free-cable-car-tickets-given-away-by-tfl

fgwrich

Established Member

That Large Vessel passing through the area will mostly likely be HMS Ocean which is on Olympic security deployment.

Clip

Established Member
Cruise ships berthing in Greenwich is a fairly common occurrence, so much so that a new cruise terminal is planned to be built which will result in even more ships visiting, thus increasing the cable car closures . The PLA suddenly sat up and took notice only last week.

http://www.pla.co.uk/notice2mariner...able_car_crossing_reporting_requirements1.pdf

Interesting to note that TfL are now giving away free tickets to locals, and that passenger usage in the first two weeks of operation has not exactly been overwhelming at 130,000. That works out at about 700 per hour, a far cry from the each-way capacity of 2500 ph.

http://snipelondon.com/scoop/thousands-of-free-cable-car-tickets-given-away-by-tfl

Yeah I know about the new dock planned but this one was in Royal Albert dock next to the airport. In fact as I passed through tonight there are 2 docked in there and I assume the only way in to the dock is via the end bit passed the pleasure gardens and by the dome - though im not too sure. One of them is called Gemini though - couldnt make out the other.

ETA: there are an awful lot of trains and tubes that dont carry their capacity during the day too - are you suggesting that they should have free tickets given away also?

Its new and its busy at a weekend im sure it'll be just fine

burneside

Yeah I know about the new dock planned but this one was in Royal Albert dock next to the airport. In fact as I passed through tonight there are 2 docked in there and I assume the only way in to the dock is via the end bit passed the pleasure gardens and by the dome - though im not too sure. One of them is called Gemini though - couldnt make out the other.

ETA: there are an awful lot of trains and tubes that dont carry their capacity during the day too - are you suggesting that they should have free tickets given away also?

Its new and its busy at a weekend im sure it'll be just fine

Ships in the Royal Albert don't have to worry about the PLA's regs, they only apply to vessels visiting Greenwich.

I haven't "suggested" that free tickets should be given out at all, where did you get that from? My gripe is that free tickets should not be issued for the cable car, given that £24 million has been spent to get it up and running (I count the £8m from the EU as public money).

Clip

Established Member
Ships in the Royal Albert don't have to worry about the PLA's regs, they only apply to vessels visiting Greenwich.

I haven't "suggested" that free tickets should be given out at all, where did you get that from? My gripe is that free tickets should not be issued for the cable car, given that £24 million has been spent to get it up and running (I count the £8m from the EU as public money).

Out of interest why dont they have to worry about the regs? They are using the Thames to get to Royal Albert arent they?

Nowt wrong with a few freebies to local people, im sure some of the locals money has been used towards it also.

Just looking at the A117 by Royal Albert dock and it looks like the bridge can move but I cant see any sort of machinery to move the thing. Though my idea of them coming in from the top end was wrong. And also the images of the A117 are pretty recent given the Olympic rings that were in the dock a short while ago are clearly visable.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I wonder how much they saved by building it so low they have to shut in whenever a large ship passed under it.

Then again I could ask what use a amphibious warfare vessel will be on an Olympic security patrol... unless they are planning on landing 3 Commando Brigade to counter a terrorist attack by a brigade strength insurgent force or something....

burneside

Nowt wrong with a few freebies to local people, im sure some of the locals money has been used towards it also.

I have never known TfL give out free tickets for travel on its network, so it's odd that it should start now. Perhaps it wants to artificially inflate passenger numbers to make the cable car look well used?

Manchester77

Established Member
I have never known TfL give out free tickets for travel on its network, so it's odd that it should start now. Perhaps it wants to artificially inflate passenger numbers to make the cable car look well used?

Afaik when the east London line reopened as lo they gave out free travel cards

Status
Not open for further replies.