• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

employment with criminal record

Status
Not open for further replies.

J8911

Hi guys, after a bit of information regarding potential employment with a criminal record? I have unspent convictions for a matter I had to serve time for, I worked as a sub contractor prior to my sentence. Now I have an interview with and I’m worried that this is going to bite me in the arse? Any help would be massively appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MJN11

Dangerous drive and a gbh, it’s been 4 years since it was committed

some train companies do actually offer ex offenders jobs but it solely depends what position it is and the conviction as for GBH and dangerous I am not sure (however if it was a role for train ops I think they would definitely take the dangerous driving offence into consideration).. there maybe websites that can give you an answer good luck.

J8911

some train companies do actually offer ex offenders jobs but it solely depends what position it is and the conviction as for GBH and dangerous I am not sure (however if it was a role for train ops I think they would definitely take the dangerous driving offence into consideration).. there maybe websites that can give you an answer good luck.
Thanks for info! It’s a track based job on maintenance which I was involved with for 9 years previously, don’t want to get my hopes up for it all to come crashing down the other end

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I think in your case I shouldn't think there would be too much of an issue but don't quote me on that!

The GBH offence would definately affect you if you applied for work involving children or vulnerable adults, but as it's the railways it shouldn't impact too much.

The dangerous driving MAY create problems - many jobs are safety critical and it you applied for any driving jobs while the conviction is unspent then it is likely to be a no no.

Most convictions are spent after 5 years - I'm not too sure whether this would be longer for. GBH?

CJ

I think in your case I shouldn't think there would be too much of an issue but don't quote me on that!

The GBH offence would definately affect you if you applied for work involving children or vulnerable adults, but as it's the railways it shouldn't impact too much.

The dangerous driving MAY create problems - many jobs are safety critical and it you applied for any driving jobs while the conviction is unspent then it is likely to be a no no.

Most convictions are spent after 5 years - I'm not too sure whether this would be longer for. GBH?

CJ

According to NACRO it depends how long your sentence was rather than the offence (for most cases). Between 6 months and 2.5 years it is the total length of sentence (including licence period) plus 4 years, and if its over 2.5 years and less then 4 then its 7 years before it is spent. If the sentence was over 4 years then it is never spent

anti-pacer

Established Member
I also had a criminal record for assault (I didn't hit anyone by the way) which didn't receive a custodial sentence. I got a fine, Community Payback, and probation meetings for 2 years, which actually ended a year early. My sentence is now spent, however, I believe for offences that include a custodial sentence, your criminal record will stay forever. I'm sure it's only if your sentence was 4 years or less.

JLyons

If they’re unspent convictions and part of the interview process asks you to declare unspent convictions then I’d say your chances are pretty slim of getting job, saying that I guess it depends what the exact role is & how many applicants there are.

good luck though

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I also had a criminal record for assault (I didn't hit anyone by the way) which didn't receive a custodial sentence. I got a fine, Community Payback, and probation meetings for 2 years, which actually ended a year early. My sentence is now spent, however, I believe for offences that include a custodial sentence, your criminal record will stay forever. I'm sure it's only if your sentence was 4 years or less.
Not quite accurate; see https://www.criminalrecordsservices...erence-between-spent-and-unspent-convictions/

Note that an enhanced DBS check will show all convictions (even if spent)

LCC106

Established Member
A decent HR department would contact you to determine exact circumstances and decide whether or not they’ll take a punt on you. Not everything’s black and white.

JLyons

A standard DBS check will also show both spent and unspent convictions. enhanced checks include all data/offences the police have of you that are relevant to the role you are applying for

an
A standard DBS check will also show both spent and unspent convictions. enhanced checks include all data/offences the police have of you that are relevant to the role you are applying for

Standard checks do not show spent convictions

PaulN

Hi, there are three levels of DBS check and the one undertaken depends on the job role in question and whether or not a check can be legally requested, they are :
1. Basic - any employer can request a basic dbs check and this will only show up unspent convictions
2. Standard - will show spent and unspent convictions and possibly some cautions
3. Enhanced - the same as above however checks are made with relevant Police forces for local information or details held that may not have resulted in any conviction e.g. local intelligence. Enhanced will also be pertanent to the group of vulnerable people you may be working with or the specific job role - solicitor, accountant, pilot etc. Certificates and details now go direct to the person the check is being undertaken on so if/ when this arrives you'll know what's on it. The requester will only know that it is not blank - meaning it contains information.

Status
Not open for further replies.