• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 153 Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
The EMT 153s are certainly in much better condition than the Northern ones. Although you could say that about any piece of rolling stock that has had to deal with the devilish duo of Serco-Abellio and Arriva.
The few Northern 156s that I went on two years ago weren't to bad. They are smarter than the GA units we have now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoMorePacers

Established Member
The few Northern 156s that I went on two years ago weren't to bad. They are smarter than the GA units we have now.
Some are alright, but I've done units that have had used cigarette ends in them and reeked of said smell.

The 158s that haven't been refurbished are in an utter state.

very few takers for 153's after that,so it would be worth EMR putting in a low-ball offer to purchase a couple.

Have the rules changed?

It was the case that TOCs were not allowed to own traction and rolling stock directly; however, I do believe that it would be possible for NS - possibly Abellio - to own the 153s if they so wanted to, and then to lease them to EMR. However, I can't remember if this has to be at a commercial rate or if it could be done for a nominal amount of, say, £1 per year.

Class 158s have certainly earned their keep for nearly 30 years, although I personally prefer the 156s. Both suffered the same fault in that they should all have been at least 3 coaches, and in the case of 158s, they were too small to waste space on frequently underused 1st Class seating.

Whilst having both 156s and 158s as 3-car DMUs might have been desirable, the only way the sector could get new DMUs through the investment appraisal process laid down by government was to get two new vehicles for three old ones; and if I remember correctly, when built all 158s were standard class only, but the small number "owned" by XC had a small area partitioned off for first class use. I can only remember taking one journey on a XC one, but I THINK it still had standard seats in the first class area

On Moderation
Have the rules changed?

It was the case that TOCs were not allowed to own traction and rolling stock directly; however, I do believe that it would be possible for NS - possibly Abellio - to own the 153s if they so wanted to, and then to lease them to EMR. However, I can't remember if this has to be at a commercial rate or if it could be done for a nominal amount of, say, £1 per year.
Rolling stock has been owned by TOCs from day 1: there are some 143s that are owned by GWR (and TfW own some 143s as well?) that have been passed along as franchise assets. Likewise some operators have owned Class 08s as franchise assets. More recently, SWT bought the Island Line fleet, ScotRail owned the 314s and GWR own 5 HST power cars.

Moderator note: Just a reminder this thread is about EMR Class 153s. Some posts have been moved to https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/do-first-group-own-any-hsts-or-pacers.204308/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariner16

153355 is working for Northern today, coupled up to one of their 153s (316) on the Cleethorpes to Barton upon Humber route to enable social distancing. Not sure if this stays on the route for a few days before being rotated?

Murray J

153355 is working for Northern today, coupled up to one of their 153s (316) on the Cleethorpes to Barton upon Humber route to enable social distancing. Not sure if this stays on the route for a few days before being rotated?
i've been told that the EMR 153 rescued the northern one.

Boothby97

Established Member
i've been told that the EMR 153 rescued the northern one.

Doesn‘t sound like a rescue. 153316 arrived end of last week, and then 153355 arrived on Sunday. The pair have been coupled since and have spent all day running up and down the branch.

Murray J

Doesn‘t sound like a rescue. 153316 arrived end of last week, and then 153355 arrived on Sunday. The pair have been coupled since and have spent all day running up and down the branch.
apparently it's a persistent problem with the northern unit, but i'm just going off what i've been told, not to mention the northern services are set to transfer to EMR in December.

High Dyke

Established Member
Going forward the service is to be diagrammed a Cl.156, but TPE crews don't sign them. Thus a brief reprieve for the EMR 153's, that may otherwise be off-lease, unless they are still operating the Robin Hood line services. AIUI, the latest arrangement is for EMR to provide a unit for the service, as opposed to Northern, as I posted somewhere on the forum last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.