• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Speed43125

I’m presuming so - in all honesty I don’t know why XC didn’t receive all the /6s in the first place.
By only transferring centre cars the amount of refurbishment work required to get it all to XC colours/spec is about 1/3 less extensive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OTRail

By only transferring centre cars the amount of refurbishment work required to get it all to XC colours/spec is about 1/3 less extensive.
That makes sense now but I mean when Central Trains was originally split - this left London Midland with 6 of the /6s and XC with 4 of them and 6 /5s.

Neptune

Established Member
That makes sense now but I mean when Central Trains was originally split - this left London Midland with 6 of the /6s and XC with 4 of them and 6 /5s.
London Midland also required some 3 cars at the time. Bear in mind they only got 6 of the 22 3 car units involved in the split.

OTRail

London Midland also required some 3 cars at the time. Bear in mind they only got 6 of the 22 3 car units involved in the split.
Yeah that’s right - then again this was before Chase Line services were operated by 350s so at the time it made sense.

OTRail

170419’s returned from its repaint - presumably going to Etches Park.

Established Member
170419’s returned from its repaint - presumably going to Etches Park.
Where did you see this? I can't see any paths between Crofton Depot towards Derby or Nottingham on Real Time Trains.

OTRail

When I was at Derby this morning it ran through platform 7 at around 10:15. This has also been confirmed in the EMR livery thread. Also it would have been coming from Holbeck as opposed to Crofton.

louis97

Established Member
Where did you see this? I can't see any paths between Crofton Depot towards Derby or Nottingham on Real Time Trains.
Came to Derby on 15th September and went into Chaddesden Sidings. Presume today they finally moved it to Etches Park from there.

Established Member
When I was at Derby this morning it ran through platform 7 at around 10:15. This has also been confirmed in the EMR livery thread. Also it would have been coming from Holbeck as opposed to Crofton.
Ah ok. The repainting has been done at Crofton on the other units and this this is where I had the unit on the EMR rebranding thread after it came down from Scotland.

I can't find a path for it on Real Time Trains either.
Came to Derby on 15th September and went into Chaddesden Sidings. Presume today they finally moved it to Etches Park from there.
That probably explains why I couldn't find it then. I imagine that because its only 'round the corner' the move was agreed locally and there was no need for a path. Similar to if a set swap is needed and a unit comes off or onto the Etches park.

Back to 170s. The last Scottish one 418 is still in service so it looks like that one may be staying for a bit longer.

OTRail

Ah ok. The repainting has been done at Crofton on the other units and this this is where I had the unit on the EMR rebranding thread after it came down from Scotland.
It was initially at Crofton Depot but for some reason moved to Holbeck at some point for its repaint, not sure why this was.

High Dyke

Established Member
I hope they've arranged a supply of spare parts for the units. I'm reliably informed that spares and training of fitters on the units are rather lacking at the moment.

Established Member
Well given that Bombardier run Etches Park I'd expect spares... well I can't keep a straight face there.
Etches Park is run by EMR. Bombardier have the 'north shed' for maintenance of the 222 fleet.

Ethan1852

Is it known when 170418 will come down from Scotland. I know West Midlands Trains are waiting for their Class 196's to enter service before they hand over their 170's to EMR.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Is it known when 170418 will come down from Scotland. I know West Midlands Trains are waiting for their Class 196's to enter service before they hand over their 170's to EMR.
Scotrail are currently sending their phase 2s away for some form of refurb aswell as that Scotrail are also an extra HST set down so thats a potential reason why its still in Scotland

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Apparently only a matter of weeks away before the first one goes into service
First week of November was mooted some time ago but I'm not entirely sure if that's still the plan as very few drivers and guards will be competent by then.

Mariner16

Monday 2nd Nov still the case

I'm guessing the three units that are at Eastcroft/Etches Park are on training runs now like the 180s.

The runs are ramping up, 170419 is the only one based at Eastcroft but goes out every day now.

Last edited:

Established Member
Monday 2nd Nov still the case

The runs are ramping up, 170419 is the only one based at Eastcroft but goes out every day now.
Thanks. 2nd November is quite soon. I was expecting the December timetable change.

Mugby

Established Member
170 419 was at the West end of Patform 6, Nottingham at mid-day today and from a distance I really did think it was an XC set waiting to depart for Birmingham.

It moved off towards Eastcroft and I noticed the First Class compartments at both ends, still complete with 2+1 seating, table lamps and curtains.

WesternLancer

Established Member
170 419 was at the West end of Patform 6, Nottingham at mid-day today and from a distance I really did think it was an XC set waiting to depart for Birmingham.

It moved off towards Eastcroft and I noticed the First Class compartments at both ends, still complete with 2+1 seating, table lamps and curtains.
1st class quality for the Robin Hood Line then!

Established Member

Non of them so far have been referbished which is why the first class sections remain.

OTRail

Is it true extra units are being acquired from Scotrail? I saw it on Instagram but can’t confirm whether it’s true.