• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

It's not just the wires reaching Leicester, I think there are capacity issues that need to be resolved too. NR published a report about Leicester last year that's worth a skim through, it does talk about a 5th service from the South eg Bedford-Nottingham

Given there are already 4tph Leicester-StP so this is really the question of demand for travel from the East Mids to places like Bedford, Lutons and St Albans.

However, the structure of the EMR timetable recast is basically saying that they don't believe it's significant enough to provide direct services and continuing with something like the current Notts semi fast... And they presumably had the ticket data?
I read somewhere that the issue at Leicester is London road bridge, which of course the station is part of. it can't be lifted and there isn't much scope for lowering the track bed. 360's may never see Leicester unless dragged there of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I read somewhere that the issue at Leicester is London road bridge, which of course the station is part of. it can't be lifted and there isn't much scope for lowering the track bed. 360's may never see Leicester unless dragged there of course.

That is an issue, but resolvable. 360s may just have to coast on that bit.

spotify95

360s may just have to coast on that bit.
I don't see that as a problem myself, since all EMR services call at Leicester. The only services that go straight through Leicester are non EMR services that have been diverted from their normal tracks, and even so there is a 15mph speed restriction on the approach to the station anyway.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I don't see that as a problem myself, since all EMR services call at Leicester. The only services that go straight through Leicester are non EMR services that have been diverted from their normal tracks, and even so there is a 15mph speed restriction on the approach to the station anyway.
Not on southbound departure - 40mph now as you leave. A short coast ought not to put too big a dent in the acceleration...

spotify95

40mph now as you leave
Oh yes, I forgot about that. The recently improved the line speed through the points on the southbound run - 40mph on P3, 25mph on P4, and either 30 or 40 on P1/P2.
What I was referring to was the arrival (from the south) - still 15 as far as I'm aware, which is a bit low if any train would have to coast in.

DG85

Oh yes, I forgot about that. The recently improved the line speed through the points on the southbound run - 40mph on P3, 25mph on P4, and either 30 or 40 on P1/P2.
What I was referring to was the arrival (from the south) - still 15 as far as I'm aware, which is a bit low if any train would have to coast in.

It’s just recently been increased to 40mph over the points into platform 2 northbound and 30mph platform 1.

londonmidland

Established Member
It’s just recently been increased to 40mph over the points into platform 2 northbound and 30mph platform 1.
A bit off-topic but is this applicable to freight too? Through platform 3/up main I think it’s 40mph for passenger and 25mph for freight?

Railperf

Established Member
Very welcome and well overdue.. The previous 15mph limit cripplingly slow on a modern railway.

DG85

A bit off-topic but is this applicable to freight too? Through platform 3/up main I think it’s 40mph for passenger and 25mph for freight?

Freight is 25mph through platform 3 and increases to 40mph once clear of the signal

DBS92042

Established Member

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Some possible moves tomorrow:
That’s what I thought too.

GBRf operated so likely 360s.

Also found this for Tuesday also GB operated 360s

OTRail

Some possible moves tomorrow:
I find it funny how Northampton’s right next to Kettering yet the 360s are having to take the so-called scenic route to get there - if they’re being based there for maintenance, long term the DfT should consider electrification between the MML and Northampton ...

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I find it funny how Northampton’s right next to Kettering yet the 360s are having to take the so-called scenic route to get there - if they’re being based there for maintenance, long term the DfT should consider electrification between the MML and Northampton ...
True, electrification would make sense. Then you have the choice of ditching the use of a diesel loco.

Aictos

Established Member
The Class 360s will not be refurbished until after they are introduced.
Indeed and this was stated by EMR in numerous announcements that the fleet will enter service in ex GA condition but will be refurbished after introduction into service.

can't see them being in until at least mid summer
I doubt that very much after all both Luton Airport and East Midlands Railway have released a statement saying the new EMR Electrics will be in service from the May 2021 timetable change as stated here:

London Luton Airport (LLA) has welcomed the news that East Midlands Railway (EMR) is to introduce a new half hourly non-stop service between London St Pancras and Luton Airport Parkway.

The new service will be introduced as part of the May timetable...

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member
Back to the 360s, does happen to know why the 3 above have gone to Northampton today? E.g is it additional maintenance / upgrading / storage or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

On Moderation
Back to the 360s, does happen to know why the 3 above have gone to Northampton today? E.g is it additional maintenance / upgrading / storage or something else?
As EMR have no major EMU depot on its patch, as I understand it the plan is for the heavy maintenance on the 360s to be done by Siemens at Northampton, which is entirely logical, especially as Ilford no longer has 360s allocated. Presumably this move is part of the maintenance arrangements?

Aictos

Established Member
As EMR have no major EMU depot on its patch, as I understand it the plan is for the heavy maintenance on the 360s to be done by Siemens at Northampton, which is entirely logical, especially as Ilford no longer has 360s allocated. Presumably this move is part of the maintenance arrangements?
Pardon me for asking but why can't Caudwell do this once the fitters are trained up on the Class 360 as they used to maintain the Class 319s there didn't they?

I'm aware that Siemens have a depot at Northampton but surely it's possible for the work to be done at Caudwell instead of dragging the Class 360s to Northampton?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is a Traction & Rolling Stock thread to discuss EMR Class 360s ;)

We absolutely do welcome any discussion on anything else (including suggestions for electrification, line re-openings, debates on ticketing, and more!) but we do ask that a new thread is posted (if there isn't one already) in the appropriate forum section please :)

Some posts have been moved to:

Defiance149

I thought the 360s were to be based at Bedford Cauldwell or has that been dropped?

OTRail

I thought the 360s were to be based at Bedford Cauldwell or has that been dropped?
Light maintenance and stabling is Cauldwell, heavy maintenance is Northampton given it’s owned by Siemens (who built the 360s)

Bob Buckler

If the 360s have to be dragged anyway from Kettering to Northampton, why not go via Bedford and Bletchley?
Are there clearance issues or would the reversal at Bletchley be too problematic?

221101 Voyager

Established Member
If the 360s have to be dragged anyway from Kettering to Northampton, why not go via Bedford and Bletchley?
Are there clearance issues or would the reversal at Bletchley be too problematic?
The move last sunday was formed of 3x360 (12-car) and only had 47727 at the front hauling all three alone.

So the reversal at Bletchley would've been difficult as the loco would have to run round, that's assuming you could even fit 3x360 plus a loco in platform 5 at Bletchley.

So in the case of the above it had to take the long way.

But if one or two units were together with 2 locos, going via Bedford and Bletchley is much easier. (note Bletchley P5 cannot accomodate a 12 car 360 + 1 loco, let alone 2. So 12 car 360 moves via Bedford and Bletchley will never happen.