• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

colchesterken

An earlier post got me thinking ( did not hurt too much ) they suggested reversing at Farringdon
Can non ETCS units run on the central section in non passenger use ie ECS or engineers
could they get talk through from the signaler ? or run under caution

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
An earlier post got me thinking ( did not hurt too much ) they suggested reversing at Farringdon
Can non ETCS units run on the central section in non passenger use ie ECS or engineers
The Thameslink central section still has conventional signaling so non-ETCS units can run through, though I think ETCS units can run at closer headways. Last I heard most of the Thameslink service was running without ETCS/ATO because the drivers hadn't been trained in it.

However most future ETCS schemes will get rid of the signals so non-ETCS trains could only run under possession. I believe the ECML scheme will get rid of signals except around Peterborough, which avoids having to fit EMR or XC units.

Established Member
The next unit has arrived at Northampton according to Real time Trains.

On Moderation
360109 is on its way back to Ilford currently on 5Q60.

There's no path visible yet on RTT for another set to go to Northampton tomorrow. Sets 101/110/115/117/119 still to go.

Established Member
360109 is on its way back to Ilford currently on 5Q60.

There's no path visible yet on RTT for another set to go to Northampton tomorrow. Sets 101/110/115/117/119 still to go.
Looks like there are some engineering works at least between Liverpool Street and Shenfield tomorrow affecting all lines.

westcoaster

Established Member
Only issue would be only 317/319/377/387 and 700 the only units cleared into the core. The 360's would need to be gauge cleared.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Only issue would be only 317/319/377/387 and 700 the only units cleared into the core. The 360's would need to be gauge cleared.
That might not be too difficult as they are of similar dimensions. But I'm not sure what reason there would be to do it, as they couldn't run onto the third rail beyond City Thameslink.

Supercoss

Class 360 are not permitted to run on 'Moorgate' Lines from Kentish Town Thameslink to Farringdon and will be diesel hauled
from Ilford to Cricklewood on delivery . The route from Belle Isle to St Pancras low level (reverse) through Canal Tunnels also prohibited
mainly due to top of train/catenary clearance on Moorgate lines, convention signalling still in use on both

Tuesday next week (27th) a good day to keep an eye on moves from Ilford to Cricklewood..... 8 car due with 8 car week after

Last edited:

DBS92042

Established Member
Does anyone know if these two moves I've spotted on RTT are anything to do with a 360 move?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Does anyone know if these two moves I've spotted on RTT are anything to do with a 360 move?
Aren't Ilford - Northampton 315 storage runs?

Established Member
It is possible. The move back last weekend was also 5Q60 although nothing went up to Northampton on Sunday unless it was this move yesterday:

AM9

Veteran Member
That might not be too difficult as they are of similar dimensions. But I'm not sure what reason there would be to do it, as they couldn't run onto the third rail beyond City Thameslink.
Isn't there a permanent restriction on running anywhere in the core because there is inadequate clearance now the Harrington ramps have been built. So at the moment, just 700s and class 73s on recovery duties.

DBS92042

Established Member
It is possible. The move back last weekend was also 5Q60 although nothing went up to Northampton on Sunday unless it was this move yesterday:
The 5Q30 yesterday was 315s.
Aren't Ilford - Northampton 315 storage runs?
Both the 5Q60 & 5Q61 are down as GBRF moves which in theory means they shouldn't be 315s as those moves are done by Hanson and Hall.
I also can't see any path in yet for the 47s to get from Leicester to either Northampton or Ilford so I'm not sure whether that'll appear at some point in the next couple of days.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I've found if it's 315's they are down as DCR operated and they say Diesel loco at 75mph max.

If it's 5Q60 or any other 360 move, it is is usually down as GBRf and Diesel loco at 60mph max with the numbers of those locos shown (47727 + 47739) for example.

Hope this helps everyone. :)

5Q60 on Fri 23rd Cancelled

23rd OCT LIGHT LOCO MOVE TO ILFORD

Then the early morning 360 drag to Northampton

Last edited:

DBS92042

Established Member
23rd OCT LIGHT LOCO MOVE TO ILFORD

Then the early morning 360 drag to Northampton

47749 & 47727 heading down to Ilford

DBS92042

Established Member
Nice. I trust you will be up at the crack of dawn like me to capture the next overdue 360 run! ;)
I will indeed! Hopefully it stays at Bletchley until its booked time to give a chance for it to get a bit lighter before it passes

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I will indeed! Hopefully it stays at Bletchley until its booked time to give a chance for it to get a bit lighter before it passes
Fingers crossed, although I wouldn't bet on it! This is the railway we're talking about here! It don't matter if it 100 early or 100 late they just run it and the schedule is only when they think it will arrive anyways! :lol:

OTRail

A pair of 360s were heading into Liverpool street in the white stripe FGE livery minus the GA logos, so I can imagine that the transfer of the first few units will be happening soon.

Established Member

Supercoss

8 car class 360 moving Tuesday 27th as noted above then Monday 2nd and Tuesday 3rd so six units at Cricklewood
as they are being Diesel hauled from Ilford sandwiched between barrier vehicles a certain amount of shunting required to position them on arrival so all photographable off platform one at Cricklewood
Barrier vehicles and class 66 haulage run from Leicester LIP in the morning Dellner fitted class 47s not being used initially due to crew traction and route knowledge.