• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR staff travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

travel_geek83

Hello everyone,

I am due to start with EMR around October... subject to covid 19.
I Was just thinking about staff travel. I understand that I will be able to travel free of charge on EMR and other abellio group services. I did notice a few months back you can travel on LNER...is that true?!

If I wanted to travel on oter TOCS such as X Country and Northern is it simply the descession of the train conductor by kindly asking before boarding? If they need to charge then I know its 75% discount. Is this discount offered at the travel centre or is it something to do so many days in advance? Any guidance is much appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
(btw Your EMR pass is also valid on Abellio Group: London Northwestern out of Euston, all of Scotrail, Greater Anglia and Merseyrail)

Once you get your Priv card the 75% (or 'priv' rate) is always available up to the point of travel, ie minutes before. Currently, leisure travel is suspended during Covid, and the RSTL website gives more guidance on this. .. https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/rst

Be careful trying to blag a free ride, although many of us do it, there is an element of risk - but, that said, I have heard there *may be* a reciprocal arrangement between EMR and LNER, perhaps some EMR staff could confirm.

Last edited:

travel_geek83

Thank you, that's really useful. Like you said, there is indeed risk of element to travel on other TOCS free of charge. I'll take a look on the link

Thank you:)

PupCuff

Once you get your Priv card the 75% (or 'priv' rate) is always available up to the point of travel, ie minutes before. Currently, leisure travel is suspended during Covid, and the RSTL website gives more guidance on this. .. https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/rst

That's not 100% accurate though the gist of what you're saying is correct - leisure travel is restricted to essential travel for personal/family emergencies on some TOCs (with a mandatory reservation where required) as detailed in the supplement to the 2020 Summer Restrictions, which can be found as you say on the RSTL site. On other TOCs leisure travel is still permitted for essential travel only (and yes, for those reading with a confused look on their face, I do realise how oddly that reads, but you have to consider 'leisure travel' to mean not 'duty' or 'residential' travel as per railway parlance) in line with the rail industry guidance.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Reciprocal travel between EMR and LNER has been in place since Stagecoach lost the SWT franchise, it was carried over at the request of staff and management on both sides of the franchise. For us it's a really good perk as it enables us to travel to Scotland, it's also really good for staff on the Eastern side of the franchise who can travel to London via a faster route. You also get two first class boxes which you can use, if you pay for a £5 voucher you're entitled to as much food and drink as Joe Public. There are quite a few restrictions over and above the normal RDG restrictions, all to do with avoiding trains to/from the North of Edinburgh, peak time and Friday trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.