• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Train Manager Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda08

Hi.
My first post but I have been following the forum and have read back almost a years worth of posts I think:)

I have just had an email saying I have been shortlisted for the Train Managers Pool for EMR at Notts. I guess the second stage is an assessment day? The email stated to wait for further information.
I just wandered if anyone can advise what to expect on the day so I can be best prepared.
Also, I am struggling to find the the difference between a conductor and train manager - could anyone tell me the main differences?
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2L70

On Moderation
Train managers work the EMR intercity services Sheffield to London St Pancras and Nottingham/Corby to London. Senior Conductors do the local trains and Liverpool - Norwich route.

amanda08

Train managers work the EMR intercity services Sheffield to London St Pancras and Nottingham/Corby to London. Senior Conductors do the local trains and Liverpool - Norwich route.
Thank you. So it's a route, rather then role difference then.

2L70

On Moderation
Thank you. So it's a route, rather then role difference then.

The only difference really is TMs Manage Customer Hosts(catering crew) on board and at times do Catering themselves. SCs do have trolley staff on but as it’s done by a contractor they don’t really manage them, however both Grades lead the on board duties working with RPOs/ATEs/Catering.

Couldn’t give you correct info on the Assesment day but Nottm Intercity is a small but friendly group. First start is about 5am and latest finish 2am.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Amanda08

Welcome to the forum.

For your info, East Midlands Trains advertised for Train Managers yesterday (18/10/2019) to be based in Kettering. If you read the details of that job application it does give you more information about what to expect. For some reason, EMT didn't mention any of this when they advertised the Train Manager role in Nottingham.

I attended an assessment day for Train Manager with another TOC last month but sadly didn't get the job. I'll message you privately just to give you the heads up of what to expect.

Regards

C J

amanda08

Amanda08

I've just messaged you.

Regards

C J
For some reason, the server will not let me reply to your message?
My reply was this:

Gosh, thank you for so much for taking the time to give me so much information! It is incredibly useful!

I was quite surprised to get through the first stage of application to be honest as I have zero train industry experience. Currently I manage a small hotel and so there is a fair amount of crossover skills, just in a different setting.
Having read lots on this forum, it's easy to see how competitive this industry us and so I will not get my hopes up to high lol.

I have applied for a few roles out of Blackpool for GC and am checking each day for new roles being uploaded. I am from Nottingham and am equally happy to move back there, or stay in Blackpool. MY son is about to start college next September and is happy to live in either city too, hence my applying for both places.

It sounds like finding the right balance is going to be the main thing. Not being ms obnoxious, nor ms quiet sheep.
Thank you again for the info and advice.

Amanda

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Cheers Amanda08

If you check out the Train Manager role that EMT are advertising at Kettering they give you the details of the application process that weren't even mentioned for the Nottingham role. There is mention of a video interview and an online assessment that has to be completed prior to being invited for an assessment day in December.

Just be mindful you might have to do these in the next couple of weeks for the Nottingham job.

Hope all goes well for you.

C J

amanda08

Cheers Amanda08

If you check out the Train Manager role that EMT are advertising at Kettering they give you the details of the application process that weren't even mentioned for the Nottingham role. There is mention of a video interview and an online assessment that has to be completed prior to being invited for an assessment day in December.

Just be mindful you might have to do these in the next couple of weeks for the Nottingham job.

Hope all goes well for you.

C J
Thanks for that, I've just looked and you are right, non of that info was given for Nottingham! Best get prepping!
Thank you again
Amanda

amanda08

The only difference really is TMs Manage Customer Hosts(catering crew) on board and at times do Catering themselves. SCs do have trolley staff on but as it’s done by a contractor they don’t really manage them, however both Grades lead the on board duties working with RPOs/ATEs/Catering.

Couldn’t give you correct info on the Assesment day but Nottm Intercity is a small but friendly group. First start is about 5am and latest finish 2am.
Thank you :)

amanda08

aaaah, just did my video interview and let the time get away from me in my last answer :( Got cut off mid final sentence :(
I hope they don't hold that against me.
Anyone any idea how many would have made the first application sift and then how many would be left after video stage? Just curious if i'm up against hundreds -_-

aaaah, just did my video interview and let the time get away from me in my last answer :( Got cut off mid final sentence :(
I hope they don't hold that against me.
Anyone any idea how many would have made the first application sift and then how many would be left after video stage? Just curious if i'm up against hundreds -_-

I can’t comment on numbers, but in relation to over running in the video interview I wouldn’t worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.