• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Weekday Breakfast HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

darasafvatnia

Hi all, I’m looking to take the 05.19 weekday HST breakfast train from Leeds to St Pancras as listed on EMR’s timetable. However, on the catering page on emr’s website they don’t mention a weekday breakfast train from Leeds. I was wondering if anyone has taken this service recently and can confirm that it is a hst and that it serves breakfast? I plan to go on Monday the 20th of April but I don’t want to buy tickets unless it is a hst and is a breakfast train. Thanks guys!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The EMR website shows breakfast on the 0625 Sheffield which is your train.
Presumably breakfast is not served between Leeds and Sheffield.
No idea how EMR catering works, but I wouldn't be surprised if the crew (and food?) boarded at SHF.
It ought to be an HST as stated in their pdf timetable.

darasafvatnia

Ah yes that makes perfect sense! They advertise breakfast from Leeds on the Saturday service so I was a bit confused as to why no mention of it on the weekday service but like you said the catering must just start at Sheffield. I wonder how likely this service is to change rolling stock but hopefully it’s unlikely! Looking to ride a HST!

Iskra

Established Member
Ah yes that makes perfect sense! They advertise breakfast from Leeds on the Saturday service so I was a bit confused as to why no mention of it on the weekday service but like you said the catering must just start at Sheffield. I wonder how likely this service is to change rolling stock but hopefully it’s unlikely! Looking to ride a HST!

I've previously had 222's on that service. Frustrating as if it's 2 sets there is only one chef so only one part would get the proper breakfast. It's by no means guaranteed to be HST, my success rate is probably 50% recently.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've previously had 222's on that service. Frustrating as if it's 2 sets there is only one chef so only one part would get the proper breakfast. It's by no means guaranteed to be HST, my success rate is probably 50% recently.
You must have been very unlucky - the 0519 Leeds-St Pancras is HST nearly 100% of the time (very rare to have a 222 on it)

darasafvatnia

Thanks guys, this is all very reassuring! Looks like I can sleep easy knowing I'll be riding a HST. Now I'm just going to worry about the service being cancelled because of Covid19! Can't win! :'(

38Cto15E

Alter ego has a video on youtube of the HST Breakfast train, maybe you can have a coffee from Leeds I am not sure but breakfast normally starts at Sheffield.

westinghouseB

Train Manager, Chef and Crew Leader pass to Leeds via Taxi! Breakfast available as soon as its cooked on departure from Leeds!

ExRes

Established Member
Thanks guys, any ideas on whether covid19 will stop these services or disrupt them in April?

I guess that this is a rhetorical question as absolutely nobody could possibly have the information to answer it, I'd suggest that you ask for your breakfast to be put on low gas until things become a lot clearer

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks guys, any ideas on whether covid19 will stop these services or disrupt them in April?

Well they government is now advising against non-essential travel. With the spread only likely to get worse until about July, it's really difficult to say exactly what might happen.

At the very least, if the service is cancelled, you'll get a refund

Established Member

From the EMR website:

https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/covid-19

Changes to catering on our trains
Following Government and NHS guidance around social distancing, we’ve made the decision to remove all catering options from our on board service.

Until further notice, we will be offering no at seat service in First Class or Standard Class trolley service.

Given that these restrictions are ongoing until further notice (and comments from the government that measures to tackle covid19 are likely to continue for months) I wouldn’t hold out too much hope...

darasafvatnia

From the EMR website:

https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/covid-19

Given that these restrictions are ongoing until further notice (and comments from the government that measures to tackle covid19 are likely to continue for months) I wouldn’t hold out too much hope...

Yeah I might just go sooner whilst the trains are still running at least. Opposed to waiting until mid April and there is no catering and no trains!

Established Member
Yeah I might just go sooner whilst the trains are still running at least. Opposed to waiting until mid April and there is no catering and no trains!

Probably very sensible, given the way things seem to be escalating. :'(

dave87016

Established Member
All catering is suspended on EMR and LNER that includes first class the on board buffet and trolley services

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
You must have been very unlucky - the 0519 Leeds-St Pancras is HST nearly 100% of the time (very rare to have a 222 on it)

Sorry, just noticed this. A while back, I was told by EMR (when EMT) that the services to Leeds (which I guess means from Leeds as well) have to be formed of an HST as Nevile Hill doesn't have the facilities to maintain their Class 222 fleet.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry, just noticed this. A while back, I was told by EMR (when EMT) that the services to Leeds (which I guess means from Leeds as well) have to be formed of an HST as Nevile Hill doesn't have the facilities to maintain their Class 222 fleet.
That's no guarantee that a swap will occur on the day and the train may either run ECS back from Leeds or may be curtailed at Sheffield.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The last time I caught a Leeds train from St Pancras that was a Meridian vice HST they did a set swap at Sheffield.

Iskra

Established Member

The last time I caught a Leeds train from St Pancras that was a Meridian vice HST they did a set swap at Sheffield.

A set swap is obviously more common than you think @fishquinn It's happened to me a couple of times, very annoying.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A set swap is obviously more common than you think @fishquinn It's happened to me a couple of times, very annoying.
I still think your luck must have been extraordinarily bad - normally if they're a set down on Neville Hill for the booked diagrams it'd be 1C13, the second Sheffield starter, that will go as a meridian. Both 1C15 and 1B23 (the second from Leeds) I've personally only ever seen and travelled on as HST, and I've had cause to use them both more than I'd like to :lol:.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The TM on the one I was on said the set had to be swapped because "Meridians arent allowed to go to Leeds!". I did take that with a pinch of salt as I've seen a photo of one there!

cactustwirly

Established Member
I still think your luck must have been extraordinarily bad - normally if they're a set down on Neville Hill for the booked diagrams it'd be 1C13, the second Sheffield starter, that will go as a meridian. Both 1C15 and 1B23 (the second from Leeds) I've personally only ever seen and travelled on as HST, and I've had cause to use them both more than I'd like to :lol:.

It's rare for a set swap, I don't think I've seen one for the 43/0s, they'll more likely just cancel the train in case of a failure.

The MTU buffered sets on the other hand, lots more set swaps, these are apparently quite unreliable.
I've had a 4 car 222 vice 6 car HST a few times.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The TM on the one I was on said the set had to be swapped because "Meridians arent allowed to go to Leeds!". I did take that with a pinch of salt as I've seen a photo of one there!

I don't think it's because they're "not allowed" , but because Neville Hill only looks after the HSTs, it doesn't touch the 222s. Having one up there cocks everything up basically.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's rare for a set swap, I don't think I've seen one for the 43/0s, they'll more likely just cancel the train in case of a failure.

The MTU buffered sets on the other hand, lots more set swaps, these are apparently quite unreliable.
I've had a 4 car 222 vice 6 car HST a few times.
The buffered sets I've seen as 222 instead of HST a fair few times, which seems pretty bad considering their diagrams are so lax.

Status
Not open for further replies.