• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT 158s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWK

Hi guys

Does anyone have diagrams for the EMT turns on Liverpool - Norwich please in particular where units are joined/split.

In particular the 0651 ex Norwich which doesn't appear to have a unit attached at NOT so does it run as 4 cars throughout (surely it doesn't run as 2 cars!)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MichaelAMW

Hi guys

Does anyone have diagrams for the EMT turns on Liverpool - Norwich please in particular where units are joined/split.

In particular the 0651 ex Norwich which doesn't appear to have a unit attached at NOT so does it run as 4 cars throughout (surely it doesn't run as 2 cars!)

Thanks in advance!

It's 2 cars from Norwich and 4 cars from Nottingham. The previous train from Norwich is 4 cars throughout.

I think there may have been some discussion of this recently on this forum.

thenorthern

Established Member
Yep as MichaelAMW its 4 cars from Liverpool Lime Street to Nottingham and then it then its reduced to 2 cars from Nottingham to Norwich. Some services are run as Class 156 if there are a shortage of Class 158s.

If I remember correctly one of the trains that joins onto a train from Norwich comes from Derby which in turn comes from Crewe in the morning so that might be why 06:51 ex Norwich train dosen't appear to join anything at Nottingham.

Its important to note as well that the formation and direction changes en-route because of the reversing points. The two front coaches at Liverpool become the rear two at Sheffield and are the two that are uncoupled at Nottingham.

When coming from Norwich the Class 158 unit joins onto the rear of the train that joins it at Nottingham which is the front unit as far as Sheffield and then becomes the rear unit to Liverpool.

MichaelAMW

AWK, why do you say the 06.51 appears not to join to anything at Nottingham?

In summary:

-- All from Norwich are 2 cars except the first one at 05.50
-- All to Norwich are 2 cars from Nottingham
-- All from Liverpool are 4 cars
-- All west from Nottingham are 4 cars apart from the last three

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

In summary:

Brtimes (an open site) shows to attach at Nottingham.

LowLevel

Established Member

In summary:

Only on weekdays - weekends are complex!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Also the unit detached at Nottingham from a Norwich train isn't attached to the next Liverpool train, but to the one about an hour and 12min later. At some point during that time it shunts from (usually) platform 3 to platform 7.

thenorthern

Established Member
Also the unit detached at Nottingham from a Norwich train isn't attached to the next Liverpool train, but to the one about an hour and 12min later. At some point during that time it shunts from (usually) platform 3 to platform 7.

It goes to Nottingham Eastcroft where I think its cleaned as well.

AWK

Indeed. I was just wondering why the OP thinks otherwise.

I couldn't see anything on realtime trains suggesting a unit was shunted on to the same platform as the unit that works all the way through.

I may have misunderstood though, I'm fairly new to this so apologies if I have missed something.

MCR247

Established Member
Short distance ECS moves like this (from platform to Eastcroft and return etc) don't need paths IIRC

AWK

No move to Eastcroft, probably a shunt move within the station.

Thanks. Wasn't aware that moves within a station aren't on Realtime. Some I know of e.g. the shunt from platform 1 at Doncaster to the carriage sidings a matter of feet aware are.

AWK

Barracuda

Thanks. Wasn't aware that moves within a station aren't on Realtime. Some I know of e.g. the shunt from platform 1 at Doncaster to the carriage sidings a matter of feet aware are.

AWK

Long time viewer, first time poster...

Some are, some aren't, depends on the location, move and specific requests and needs from the 'box. Some may be in as Q paths, some get put in at operator request, some are removed as they are never used and never cancelled off. There's always method in the madness, just may not be obvious!

Status
Not open for further replies.