• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT 1st Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulb

EMT 1st class on-board upgrades to and from London are being advertised at St Pancras as follows:

Luton Airport Parkway £7.00
Luton £7.80
Bedford £11.50
Wellingborough £17.00
Kettering £17.00
Corby £17.50
Market Harborough £17.50
Leicester £28.00
Loughborough £28.00
East Midlands Parkway £29.00
Beeston £29.00
Nottingham £29.00
Derby £46.00
Chesterfield £46.00
Sheffield £46.00

Upgrades to Luton Airport Parkway and Luton undercut the Weekend First fare of £10.00, and are therefore also available at the weekend.

It's interesting to compare these with the 2012 prices; in most instances the current prices are cheaper:

Luton Airport Parkway £7.00
Luton £7.50
Bedford £10.50
Wellingborough £19.00
Kettering £19.50
Corby £19.50
Market Harborough £20.00
Leicester £30.50
Loughborough £30.50
East Midlands Parkway £31.50
Beeston £31.50
Nottingham £31.50
Derby £47.00
Chesterfield £42.00
Sheffield £42.00

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
These are the difference between the Anytime Single and First Anytime Single. The reason for some being cheaper is that EMT could have risen the price of the former more than that of the latter on those flows over that time period.

lightbulb

These are the difference between the Anytime Single and First Anytime Single.

In most cases yes, but for some destinations the upgrade is cheaper than the difference: Luton Airport Parkway (by £0.50), Luton (by £2.10), Bedford (by £3.40), and Derby (by £1.00).

lightbulb

You sure about that Derby price? It's definitely an anomaly.

I'm passing through STP today, so will check.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, definitely £46 to Derby. The small print states that fares are valid until 6th September 2014.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have never heard of these upgrades. :(

Are these available with any Standard Class ticket?

lightbulb

Yes. In effect they're a Monday to Friday version of Weekend 1st, available to and from London only, with no further discounts for railcard holders. Some stations are able to sell them in advance (Victoria, for example) but they're intended to be purchased on board from the Train Manager, subject to 1st class seats being available. BRfares.com shows some (but not all), and the ticket type is BDU (for Bedford Upgrade, which was originally the only destination available).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've never seen them advertised anywhere other than St Pancras (and then only in the last couple of weeks). I guess it might be more difficult to offer them southbound because of the risk that passengers with FC tickets will board at a later station and find all seats taken.

At those prices I can't see many people taking them up, unless perhaps Standard is full and standing.

Flying Snail

Established Member

They look to be the same price as a normal SOS-FOS, SVS-FSS or SSS-1SS upgrade so more a table of available upgrades rather than an offer outside normal rules.

I haven't checked the relevant upgrade for walk-on returns though.

Presumably these are not valid with advance fares.

lightbulb

I've never seen them advertised anywhere other than St Pancras (and then only in the last couple of weeks). I guess it might be more difficult to offer them southbound because of the risk that passengers with FC tickets will board at a later station and find all seats taken.

At those prices I can't see many people taking them up, unless perhaps Standard is full and standing.

They're not valid on FCC services, only EMT.
Presumably these are not valid with advance fares.

As far as I know, they are valid with all STD tickets, including advance fares.
Here's how BRfares shows one:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=STP&dest=LTN&expert=on&flow=0&multi=1&fare=0&rte=25&tkt=BDU

Status
Not open for further replies.