• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT Assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam0

Hi All,
I am new to this site and as with many others am trying to get into the rail industry. I have currently applied for a role as conductor with my local toc and got passed initial application. I was the asked to do a video interview and after review they have invited me to an assessment day very soon. In the email it states that i will be there all day and complete a "standardised scaat and raat" test followed by group assessment. If successful i will then be offered a full interview.

Could you kind people offer any advise on what to expect? (especially anyone new to the tom's as you may well have gone through similar recently) examples have been given on the tests but not time limits or amount of questions, also what is meant by "standardised"

Any advise on what to expect on the day would be helpful, as well as any recommendations on what to take if anything. Just what sort of things would i be asked ect

thanks in advance.
Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunfordBridge

The SCAAT test in brief is a concentration test of three parts where the latter two parts have a multi-tasking element.

The RAAT test on the other hand deals with verbal and logical reasoning where you have to read a passage of text and answer a few questions on each passage. Think there are maybe 12 passages.

Did they not mention anything about a ticket checking test and a ticket selling test?

adam0

The SCAAT test in brief is a concentration test of three parts where the latter two parts have a multi-tasking element.

The RAAT test on the other hand deals with verbal and logical reasoning where you have to read a passage of text and answer a few questions on each passage. Think there are maybe 12 passages.

Did they not mention anything about a ticket checking test and a ticket selling test?

Hi there, thanks for the info. No mention of any other tests than what I stated above. Could you explain this test? Might help to practice this just in case. Also is the scaat letters, shapes or both? You know what is required score wise? Accuracy and amount?
Thanks

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ticket Selling and Checking Test only for ticket office staff at EMT AIUI. You would have been sent a practice booklet if so.

theanalogkid

Hello Adam,

I currently in the EMT Talent pool.I am awaiting on a vacancy to signed off by someone high up and hopefully be joining the organisation very soon.

I remember the day when i was there.This can only be the only advice i can give you.As for the SCAAT and RAAT psychometric tests is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and MORE PRACTICE.Do not underestimate these tests at all.i did once in the past and it cost myself very dearly.Fail one one of these tests and it could be a very short experience for you.The are "standardised" as the role you are going for requires you pass both of these tests.

As for the day,you will sign in and be taken to a large room where all the other candidates are.There should be a small presentation on what to expected.On my day they got the Psychometric Testing out of the way,much to my relief as i was practicing hard on them.Afterwards they will be a small presentation on what Customer Service and what other roles you could be expecting to be required to do if you are successful.At this time all the managers are there and are making notes.People were shouting out what roles,but i was putting my hand up if i had anything to say.Being respectful towards everybody else who was there and showing that i had good manners also.After that there was a small exercise it was just to get to know everybody who was on your table and give a small presentation to everybody about yourself and why you would like to work for EMT (Try and give an answer that nobody will expect to hear) After that we were all mixed up for the group exercise.The group exercise consisting of being in a plane crash and you can only take seven items from a list.Try and work with the person next to you and the come together afterwards.When congregating with the whole group,I if had anything to say was still putting my hand up if had anything to say.They will be two managers watching this at the whole time and making notes too on how you work as part as a team.When you have decided as a group on which items you have chosen to take with you,you will be asked to present this to everybody else.After each group has presented theirs do you have the option to ask the group why you took that item if yourself or the group disagreed.At this point i would not say anything at all and watch your P's and Q's.You are still getting marked as an individual.That is the end of the exercises.EMT provided lunch for us too.Then we were split up into two groups,People were walking out of the building at this point during mine.Then we all got told that we had interviews.

During my interview i was asked on what i knew about the company (I had made notes about the organisation and allowed to use them too) and requested to give good examples of when i have worked as part as a team,When i have went above and beyond the call of duty and when i have given great customer service too.Research the company too,that will help understand it.Look at the Company Aims and Successes too it will make you look good.Get some information on the station where you will based at too. One other thing i also looked at the company directorial structure too,find out which company director you will be responsible to answer for.

Just do your homework on the company,it is all on the EMT website,just in case you do get through all of the assessments.you never know!

i wish you all the best but most important on the day JUST BE YOURSELF!!!!

When is this all happening for you??
and which station are you going for??

DunfordBridge

Hi there, thanks for the info. No mention of any other tests than what I stated above. Could you explain this test? Might help to practice this just in case. Also is the scaat letters, shapes or both? You know what is required score wise? Accuracy and amount?
Thanks

It is over ten years since I ast did a SCAAT concentration test so I am going by the Group Bourdon practice tool which you could once download and which also featured the SCAAT test. It does seem quite authentic though.

Basically, the SCAAT test consists of both shapes and letters including 'C's, 'N's and 'Z's and backwards versions of these not to mention corners, semi-circles, circles and squares, some with missing corners.

In part 1, you have to look for one specified symbol, part 2 gets trickier where you have to search for two different symbols as you move along. Part 3 is trickier still where you have to look for two symbols but one of the symbol changes with each row in the grid where for each row, you look for the symbol that appears in the first column of that row. The second symbol sought remains constant for every row throughout the third part. Hope this makes sense as I am sure that I could have explained it better.

As for accuracy, speed, etc, I have not seen anything documented too much about pass rates unlike the Group Bourdon test where there are numerous posts in the sticky thread where people have described their performances. My advice to you would be to somehow obtain the download of the practice tool and see if you can persuade a few friends to compete with you.

I would try to be moderately fast but overall be accurate. If using the download tool, I would aim for less than five omissions.

When is your test btw?

adam0

Hello Adam,

I currently in the EMT Talent pool.I am awaiting on a vacancy to signed off by someone high up and hopefully be joining the organisation very soon.

I remember the day when i was there.This can only be the only advice i can give you.As for the SCAAT and RAAT psychometric tests is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and MORE PRACTICE.Do not underestimate these tests at all.i did once in the past and it cost myself very dearly.Fail one one of these tests and it could be a very short experience for you.The are "standardised" as the role you are going for requires you pass both of these tests.

As for the day,you will sign in and be taken to a large room where all the other candidates are.There should be a small presentation on what to expected.On my day they got the Psychometric Testing out of the way,much to my relief as i was practicing hard on them.Afterwards they will be a small presentation on what Customer Service and what other roles you could be expecting to be required to do if you are successful.At this time all the managers are there and are making notes.People were shouting out what roles,but i was putting my hand up if i had anything to say.Being respectful towards everybody else who was there and showing that i had good manners also.After that there was a small exercise it was just to get to know everybody who was on your table and give a small presentation to everybody about yourself and why you would like to work for EMT (Try and give an answer that nobody will expect to hear) After that we were all mixed up for the group exercise.The group exercise consisting of being in a plane crash and you can only take seven items from a list.Try and work with the person next to you and the come together afterwards.When congregating with the whole group,I if had anything to say was still putting my hand up if had anything to say.They will be two managers watching this at the whole time and making notes too on how you work as part as a team.When you have decided as a group on which items you have chosen to take with you,you will be asked to present this to everybody else.After each group has presented theirs do you have the option to ask the group why you took that item if yourself or the group disagreed.At this point i would not say anything at all and watch your P's and Q's.You are still getting marked as an individual.That is the end of the exercises.EMT provided lunch for us too.Then we were split up into two groups,People were walking out of the building at this point during mine.Then we all got told that we had interviews.

During my interview i was asked on what i knew about the company (I had made notes about the organisation and allowed to use them too) and requested to give good examples of when i have worked as part as a team,When i have went above and beyond the call of duty and when i have given great customer service too.Research the company too,that will help understand it.Look at the Company Aims and Successes too it will make you look good.Get some information on the station where you will based at too. One other thing i also looked at the company directorial structure too,find out which company director you will be responsible to answer for.

Just do your homework on the company,it is all on the EMT website,just in case you do get through all of the assessments.you never know!

i wish you all the best but most important on the day JUST BE YOURSELF!!!!

When is this all happening for you??
and which station are you going for??

So much advise, thank you so much. It is on the 5th March. Station posting, I am not sure of. When I applied it stated Lincoln, sleaford and Skegness or any locally. It is a talent pool like you went through. Could you explain the "people shouting out roles" part again? What things are they shouting and why? Your help is so much appreciated.

theanalogkid

One of the managers was in front of everyone and asking what type of roles you could be expected to do if you were successful if they were put in the Talent Pool.Jobs such as Dispatch,Travel Advisor etc etc.Many people were just shouting these jobs out.At this time i seen all the mangers who were at the recruiting event taking notes.So,I thought it be good manners and show consideration for everybody else, if i had something to contribute was to just put my hand up.

Anything else please ask.

Last edited:

leaffall

Adam it has been mentioned in the above but if you download the "group bourdon tool" which you'll see at the top of this jobs page it includes a SCAAT test which is what you'll get in your assessment, albeit on paper not computer.
It has to be downloaded to a PC/laptop running Windows though, it doesn't work on most tablets

adam0

One of the managers was in front of everyone and asking what type of roles you could be expected to do if you were successful if they were put in the Talent Pool.Jobs such as Dispatch,Travel Advisor etc etc.Many people were just shouting these jobs out.At this time i seen all the mangers who were at the recruiting event taking notes.So,I thought it be good manners and show consideration for everybody else, if i had something to contribute was to just put my hand up.

Thank you so much, your help is appreciated.

adam0

Adam it has been mentioned in the above but if you download the "group bourdon tool" which you'll see at the top of this jobs page it includes a SCAAT test which is what you'll get in your assessment, albeit on paper not computer.
It has to be downloaded to a PC/laptop running Windows though, it doesn't work on most tablets

Great stuff, will get that done later. I have apple pc but do have a small windows laptop. Thanks for your help

adam0

To be honest I can work hard and practice or research things for the day but the RAAT test I fear. The reason being I am a very,very slow reader. Getting the question right may not be to difficult it seams but it will take me so long to read each passage of text. I can read and understand what I have read no problem, it is just slow. A lot of questions in so little time frightens me.

DunfordBridge

I would not even be sure that you have to complete all the questions to pass. I passed mine a few years ago and I certainly did not complete all the questions in each test, might have been the ticket selling test though where I did not finish.

MisterWhippy

So much advise, thank you so much. It is on the 5th March. Station posting, I am not sure of. When I applied it stated Lincoln, sleaford and Skegness or any locally. It is a talent pool like you went through. Could you explain the "people shouting out roles" part again? What things are they shouting and why? Your help is so much appreciated.

Ah! The same day I've been invited too as well. Not too sure if I'm going to attend just yet.

adam0

Got the opc assessment practice material. It is very limited, can you tell me on the scaat what digits were used? Letters? Both capital and lower case? Symbols or a mix of everything? In the practice material there are 10 lines and 31 upper and lower case letters on each line. Also do you get 1 min to read the instructions then start marking or you know the digit or digits your looking for them the clock starts. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry for the drilling of question, just want this so much.

You didn't say what position you have been selected for? And what station?
Thanks again buddy
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah! The same day I've been invited too as well. Not too sure if I'm going to attend just yet.

Hi there,
Nice to know someone else is here who may be there on the day. Where you from mate? How come your not sure?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi,
A big thank you to all who have helped so far, nice to have the support and positive comments.

theanalogkid

Adam,

Don't worry about asking questions.Thats what this forum is here for.I did not worry too much for the RAAT test but like i said do not under estimate it.It is just a basic bit of comprehension the answer is in the passage of text but still look at the papers they have sent you.

As for the SCAAT test, what i done was went to my local library and photo copied about 50+ of the practice materials you have been sent.I was completing them and marking myself on them.There were times i was still making mistakes on them.I practiced,practiced and practiced till i got them spot on.PRACTICE DOES MAKE PERFECT!!As for the proper tests they will not be letters they will be shapes instead but the more practice papers you do the better,as you will get used to them and you will feel more confident every time you do one.Also the night before i do recommend a good nights sleep.They will do the tests straight away on the day.

I live in Newcastle and i just awaiting for the position of Customer Service Officer (General Purpose Relief) That is dispatch.Covering the stations which are managed by the Area Manager Sheffield This just has to be signed off by some high up and hopefully i will be on the mainline soon.I had my informal interview back in December.

I also know how you feel too i wanted very bad too and hopefully it come soon for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.