• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT final valenta special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
Fair enough, classic Network Rail though. There are definitely paths in as extra 319s can be pathed in half-hourly above the normal service. I guess it's just the network's inflexibility that hit it.

class 313

Established Member
Fair enough, classic Network Rail though. There are definitely paths in as extra 319s can be pathed in half-hourly above the normal service. I guess it's just the network's inflexibility that hit it.

Also 319s every 15 mins between Kentish Town and Radlett/Harpenden + EMT traffic when only two tracks are running. :roll:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
222021 was reported to be low on fuel whilst working the 1703 Scarborough to St. Pancras, so ECS from Leicester went straight back to Derby to cover for it back to London.

Ta 43096 over on WNXX.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Still doesn't change the fact that 2 people who live near London are moaning that EMT didn't run the Valenta Farewell from London, and despite claiming to bash (valenta) HSTs whenever they get the chance couldn't be bothered to get to Leicester when others travelled a longer distance to get there.

Totally agreed.

At least EMT timed it to allow connections for those who live in London. Anyone coming up from London had, what...4 trains to choose from that would get there in time. They could have started it earlier from Leicester, giving even more time in Scarborough, but they were sensible in their planning on that front. They also nicely chose for us to go out via Doncaster and allow us to charge up to 125mph, something EMT power cars rarely get to do. First time I've been at 125mph in quite some time, very enjoyable.

Plus as others have said there have been and still are plenty of chances to get a pair of Valentas down to London. They had been planned to go back to London that night, but the sensible thing to do was to get it to cover for 222021 from Derby, rather than cancel the service beyond Derby. I didn't know that at the time and was a little miffed as I need Valentas between Leicester and London (too expensive to do normally). Since I found out about the low fuel in the 222 incident, I've withdrawn my annoyance at this and commend EMT for doing what other TOCs don't do and cover for potential failures.

As David has said, the extra money needed to get it to go to and from London would have been considerable and knocked down the large sum of money that was raised for charity. Which would not have been seen as a good thing from anyone's POV.

It wasn't full from Leicester, that's for sure but it certainly filled up a lot more as we headed north. Plus those who didn't do it missed out on doing Leeds to Barnsley and Meadowhall on a HST, a rare event in anyone's eyes.

Fact of the matter is that if you rate HSTs and bash them much at all, particularly those with Valentas in them, then you really should have made the effort. So a few people in London missed out, so what? A lot of people made efforts to drive from various parts of the country to do it so why can't those in London manage to get themselves on a train that connects with the tour? The world doesn't revolve around London, like it or not!

class 313

Established Member
222021 was reported to be low on fuel whilst working the 1703 Scarborough to St. Pancras, so ECS from Leicester went straight back to Derby to cover for it back to London.

Ta 43096 over on WNXX.

Totally agreed.

At least EMT timed it to allow connections for those who live in London. Anyone coming up from London had, what...4 trains to choose from that would get there in time. They could have started it earlier from Leicester, giving even more time in Scarborough, but they were sensible in their planning on that front. They also nicely chose for us to go out via Doncaster and allow us to charge up to 125mph, something EMT power cars rarely get to do. First time I've been at 125mph in quite some time, very enjoyable.

Plus as others have said there have been and still are plenty of chances to get a pair of Valentas down to London. They had been planned to go back to London that night, but the sensible thing to do was to get it to cover for 222021 from Derby, rather than cancel the service beyond Derby. I didn't know that at the time and was a little miffed as I need Valentas between Leicester and London (too expensive to do normally). Since I found out about the low fuel in the 222 incident, I've withdrawn my annoyance at this and commend EMT for doing what other TOCs don't do and cover for potential failures.

As David has said, the extra money needed to get it to go to and from London would have been considerable and knocked down the large sum of money that was raised for charity. Which would not have been seen as a good thing from anyone's POV.

It wasn't full from Leicester, that's for sure but it certainly filled up a lot more as we headed north. Plus those who didn't do it missed out on doing Leeds to Barnsley and Meadowhall on a HST, a rare event in anyone's eyes.

Fact of the matter is that if you rate HSTs and bash them much at all, particularly those with Valentas in them, then you really should have made the effort. So a few people in London missed out, so what? A lot of people made efforts to drive from various parts of the country to do it so why can't those in London manage to get themselves on a train that connects with the tour? The world doesn't revolve around London, like it or not!

I've already said my points. The fact you still cling to the fact only a few people would of got the benefit from it is just plain arrogance.

The fact is it was a Valenta farewell. So what if we have had many chances to do the line with valentas before hand? If EMT followed that belief then they wouldn't of ran the tour at all.

The world doesn't revolve around London? Some may argue it does. Being one of the largest cities in the world. Being one of the most important in the world. Holds the busiest railway station in the UK. Oh and that's why the mainlines go to London. :roll:

richa2002

Established Member
We're just saying it would have made the tour more complete and fitting for it to run into London, there's something more impressive about arriving at London than at Leicester... Also, I personally couldn't give a damn what other people did to get to the tour, it's up to them if they're prepared to stay in hotels the night before and I don't see why that's relevant. Good for them...

And please, can we stop all pretending that charity was such a big factor for people going on this tour, people just wanted valenta haulage and the fact some of the fare got donated to charity was a bonus but has meant everyone feels the need to get onto their high-horse.

And finally, if it had run to London, I'm sure the fare would have risen in comparison to eleviate the costs meaning the money the charity got wouldn't have varied that much.

What would have you said if the FGW Farewell Tour started at Didcot? I'm sure you would have been a bit miffed you weren't going all the way to Paddington.

class 313

Established Member
We're just saying it would have made the tour more complete and fitting for it to run into London, there's something more impressive about arriving at London than at Leicester... Also, I personally couldn't give a damn what other people did to get to the tour, it's up to them if they're prepared to stay in hotels the night before and I don't see why that's relevant. Good for them...

And please, can we stop all pretending that charity was such a big factor for people going on this tour, people just wanted valenta haulage and the fact some of the fare got donated to charity was a bonus but has meant everyone feels the need to get onto their high-horse.

And finally, if it had run to London, I'm sure the fare would have risen in comparison to eleviate the costs meaning the money the charity got wouldn't have varied that much.

What would have you said if the FGW Farewell Tour started at Didcot? I'm sure you would have been a bit miffed you weren't going all the way to Paddington.

I absolute agree with you.

Again, so what if others made their way from the corners of the UK to get to Leicester? I'm not arguing that Leicester was hard to get to. I'm saying that It would of completed the 'farewell' which of course is the main part of it. Lets be honest here, the chances are the crew would of took the set to London. Either way we don't know so we can't really comment on that side of things.

This is our opinion. Live with it.

class 313

Established Member
For someone who almost exploded with rage that I was apparently not leaving Gizmogle alone, you can sure have your say can't ya ;)
Just so everyone knows, I would never say the above line :).

It's just that these people seem to be so against the idea of the tour going to London... This is our opinion and I can assure you many other opinions too.

Established Member
I've already said my points. The fact you still cling to the fact only a few people would of got the benefit from it is just plain arrogance.

The fact is it was a Valenta farewell. So what if we have had many chances to do the line with valentas before hand? If EMT followed that belief then they wouldn't of ran the tour at all.

The world doesn't revolve around London? Some may argue it does. Being one of the largest cities in the world. Being one of the most important in the world. Holds the busiest railway station in the UK. Oh and that's why the mainlines go to London. :roll:

In my opinion a farewell is too say good by to something thats been working on a certain route for years, MML HST's havn't been working Leicester - Scarborough at all as far as i can remember, surely a farewell would be on the route they used to work, like a St Pancras - Leeds and back.

class 313

Established Member
In my opinion a farewell is too say good by to something thats been working on a certain route for years, MML HST's havn't been working Leicester - Scarborough at all as far as i can remember, surely a farewell would be on the route they used to work, like a St Pancras - Leeds and back.

That's why I'm saying it would of been better if it ran from London it would of made it a better farewell.

devon_metro

Established Member

Hopeless example. There is no HST depot anywhere near Didcot so would start at Bristol, Plymouth or London (or Penzance if desperate). Unlike the EMT tour which I believe is near to Derby TMD.

David

Established Member
Just another observation here ....

I can see only 1 person on both this forum and WNXX moaning and complaining that the special did not start and finish at London. Everyone else seems to be happy that it was between Leicester and Scarborough.

Tom, if you think EMT were wrong, perhaps you should contact them with an explanation of why instead of moaning all over the forum about it.

PS. I've just remembered about connections to various places. It's easier to get to Leicester for 9am than get to London, and across to St. Pancras for 0730. Same on the return. It's a lot easier to get home from Leicester at 1800, than going to London, and having to scramble to make sure you can get the last train home (but that's ok for the odd person living near London :roll: ).

1D53

Established Member
The existing service on a Saturday starts from Leicester due to stock and pathing issues. Anyway, Shame I couldn't do it or see it.

class 313

Established Member
I've noticed most people defending the Leicester start is from the t' north thus I wouldn't really expect you to agree with me anyway.

richa2002

Established Member
I can see only 1 person on both this forum and WNXX moaning and complaining that the special did not start and finish at London. Everyone else seems to be happy that it was between Leicester and Scarborough.
Arguments are not won by majority.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
To the gentleman who asked what we would have thought if it hadn't started at London if it were an FGW run and started instead at Didcot:

Would have suited me, less effort required to get to Didcot! Plus as Liam says there is no depot nearby without long ECS runs so it wouldn't be doable anyway. All I'll say now, and it's the last I'll say on the subject, is a re-iteration of a previous point of mine: if you rate HSTs at all, you'd make the effort to get there, irrespective of where it started from. When it comes to the NXEC one, I'm already making preparations for it and will happily travel right across the country for it, even if it means a rancid overnighter at Peterborough or similar. If it doesn't start in London (extremely likely), I'd like to see these so-called HST cranks make the effort.

EDIT: OK, slightly more than I was going to say but that is the very last of my thoughts on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.