• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT hire LNER HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
I’m aware that LNER have hired in the past a East Midlands HST set but wasn’t aware of it working the opposite way.

Hence my surprise when a full LNER liveried HST with East Midlands HST Powercars speeds southbound though Luton - how long had this set been working for East Midlands?

Any idea what the set ID is plus does it appear on a set diagram?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
EMT’s Twitter saying that this train is formed of different looking rolling stock borrowed from another operator today and that there is no wi-fi, limited catering and no reservations.

Can anyone confirm what is operating this service? Is it one of the ex-GC HST’s or an LNER set?

This is the service that travels via Nottingham.

Edit: the 0633 Leeds-London St Pancras has this message too.

sufian123

EMT’s Twitter saying that this train is formed of different looking rolling stock borrowed from another operator today and that there is no wi-fi, limited catering and no reservations.

Can anyone confirm what is operating this service? Is it one of the ex-GC HST’s or an LNER set?

This is the service that travels via Nottingham.

Edit: the 0633 Leeds-London St Pancras has this message too.

It’s 0633 and not 0832 it’s their error. It’s lner coaches with emt power cars.

sufian123

It happened yesterday as well. Due to landslide last week, a HST set down. This will be hired till their set is fixed. Diagrams may differ.

On Moderation
It’s 0633 and not 0832 it’s their error. It’s lner coaches with emt power cars.
If it is 43061/073 (as yesterday) then only one is an EMT power car. 43061/075 are LNER power cars.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Will this LNER set be running a St Pancras - Nottm and vice versa diagram most of the day then?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Will this LNER set be running a St Pancras - Nottm and vice versa diagram most of the day then?

Diagram NL087:
5B23 06+17 NL-LDS, 1B23 0633 LDS-STP, 1D22 1034 STP-NOT, 1B43 1245 NOT-STP,
1D47 1534 STP-NOT, 1B68 1745 NOT-STP, 1F70 2001 STP-LDS, 5F70 23+13 LDS-NL

I suspect they'll want to keep it to NL- NL diagrams for the rest of the week

WesternLancer

Established Member
Interesting this set - no doubt not exactly headline news but I was surprised to find that apart from the restaurant car the interior is re-upholstered but not refurbished, unlike other LNER HST sets I have been on - so only new seats in the Restaurant section of buffet car.

Obv as this has been done more recently (virgin East Coast spec?) it's fresher than the EMT sets, but apart from the under luggage rack electronic reservation widgits it's pretty much the same.

They were apologizing that it was not stocked with EMT menu items (so no hot food offer in 1st) and wi-fi didn't work

Wi-fi on LNER not compatible with EMT? That's the fragmented railway for you!

'Visit Hull and East Yorkshire' text on the exterior too!

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting this set - no doubt not exactly headline news but I was surprised to find that apart from the restaurant car the interior is re-upholstered but not refurbished, unlike other LNER HST sets I have been on - so only new seats in the Restaurant section of buffet car.

Obv as this has been done more recently (virgin East Coast spec?) it's fresher than the EMT sets, but apart from the under luggage rack electronic reservation widgits it's pretty much the same.

They were apologizing that it was not stocked with EMT menu items (so no hot food offer in 1st) and wi-fi didn't work

Wi-fi on LNER not compatible with EMT? That's the fragmented railway for you!

'Visit Hull and East Yorkshire' text on the exterior too!

I don’t think it’s fair to use this set transfer as an example of a ‘fragmented railway’ considering it bounces between TOC’s as needed, if anything it’s the opposite. Better to have trains that run without WiFi than no trains at all.

The WiFi will have been turned off as it would all be optimised for LNER and there are probably GDPR issues too.

cactustwirly

Established Member

There's another LNER set running around like this as well, I had it on Friday.

Btw 1C45 is a 222 diagram, so I suspect it was actually on 1B43 (1245 Nottingham - St Pancras)

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I’m aware that LNER have hired in the past a East Midlands HST set but wasn’t aware of it working the opposite way.

Hence my surprise when a full LNER liveried HST with East Midlands HST Powercars speeds southbound though Luton - how long had this set been working for East Midlands?

Any idea what the set ID is plus does it appear on a set diagram?

NL65 (43061/75), it's a temporary hire in to cover for a damaged HST, due to the landslip at Corby last week.

Should stick to NL - NL diagrams for the rest of the week (NL082/NL087)

WesternLancer

Established Member
I don’t think it’s fair to use this set transfer as an example of a ‘fragmented railway’ considering it bounces between TOC’s as needed, if anything it’s the opposite. Better to have trains that run without WiFi than no trains at all.

The WiFi will have been turned off as it would all be optimised for LNER and there are probably GDPR issues too.
well, I'm sure you are right, just from joe public point of view looks poor when the start f the journey proceeded by lots of apols about all the things not available as it's a swapped set (hot food/reservations/wi-fi) - makes the railway look fragmented in the eyes of the avg passenger IMHO.

Swimbar

well, I'm sure you are right, just from joe public point of view looks poor when the start f the journey proceeded by lots of apols about all the things not available as it's a swapped set (hot food/reservations/wi-fi) - makes the railway look fragmented in the eyes of the avg passenger IMHO.

You wouldn't expect a Ford to have the same features as a Dacia so why would you expect a set of Coaches from a totally different operator to have the same features? It is obvious it's different from the colour scheme.

cactustwirly

Established Member
You wouldn't expect a Ford to have the same features as a Dacia so why would you expect a set of Coaches from a totally different operator to have the same features? It is obvious it's different from the colour scheme.

Err because they're the same coaches! :lol:

WesternLancer

Established Member
err, you might expect a ford focus painted yellow to have the same features as a ford focus painted grey!

causton

Established Member
You're right. Next time they should cancel the service and say "sorry, we can't run the train as the WiFi wouldn't work" :)

WesternLancer

Established Member
and that would be before joe public reads the timetable (the product brochure effectively) which they may argue indicates a range of services will be provided on board that on this occasion (for reasons I understand but I doubt joe public cares) could not be. But yes, any train - esp an HST s better than no train, obv.

Same sort of moan that if you hired a Ford (or a Dacia) and the brochure stated it would have a,b&c features, you might think it was a bit poor if it didn't. You might even think you should maybe get a discount....

WesternLancer

Established Member
You're right. Next time they should cancel the service and say "sorry, we can't run the train as the WiFi wouldn't work" :)
Good idea - OR - maybe they could say - here's a small discount off the fare / free refreshments / voucher against your next ticket purchase because the wifi won't work.

But they wouldn't - cos UK rail takes the view that so long as the basic is offered the rest of the product promise is an optional extra (but the price is non negotiable...)

njamescouk

they're different owing to the fragmented nature of the railway.

LowLevel

Established Member
There is no proper catering because the buffet car has different ovens etc that the catering staff haven't had any training to use.

WesternLancer

Established Member
There is no proper catering because the buffet car has different ovens etc that the catering staff haven't had any training to use.
Interesting - staff onboard implied it was to do with stock (or lack of it being on board) - were the LNER HST kitchens fitted with diff equip than the EMT ones at refurb? The sort of food in 1st offered by EMT and LNER is not that different in my view.

causton

Established Member
Interesting - staff onboard implied it was to do with stock (or lack of it being on board) - were the LNER HST kitchens fitted with diff equip than the EMT ones at refurb? The sort of food in 1st offered by EMT and LNER is not that different in my view.
Could be a bit of both. Not worth loading the stock if the staff won't cook it without being trained on the different equipment! No stock probably sounds better to the passengers though...

anthony kelly

I've been on lner services on Hired in EMT full sets and the train managers always anounce no WiFi and lower standard off stock what they don't say this pretty much an original HST set

Darandio

Established Member
Only on this forum could there be such a major overreaction to such a minor situation.

LowLevel

Established Member
Could be a bit of both. Not worth loading the stock if the staff won't cook it without being trained on the different equipment! No stock probably sounds better to the passengers though...

Is the right answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.