• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT HST Nottm to Skegness

Status
Not open for further replies.

tel

Hi anyone know if this is running again this year please and, if so the times. Thanks

Tel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I doubt a final decision made yet, it only does the summer school holidays, and is usually Derby-Skegness-Derby, but with Derby shut, will have to be different this year. Nottingham-Skegness most likely, but you never know! With the Derby closure they may be extra spare trains, or there may be less, so it will all have an effect somewhere along the line (no pun intended)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Same as last year, two sets, the standard one from Derby approx 0753, and a second from Nottingham approx 0945.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Same as last year, two sets, the standard one from Derby approx 0753, and a second from Nottingham approx 0945.

But Derby-Nottingham line is closed throughout the operating period (apart from possible the first Saturday) see www.derby2018.co.uk for full details. I doubt it will run to/from Derby this year.

AndrewE

Established Member
But Derby-Nottingham line is closed throughout the operating period (apart from possible the first Saturday) see www.derby2018.co.uk for full details. I doubt it will run to/from Derby this year.
It would be nice if someone looked at where most of the people connecting in at Derby came from and started the HST back from there instead....

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I guess the line is shut there too. To be fair, not that many get on at Derby, most are from Nottingham.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It would be nice if someone looked at where most of the people connecting in at Derby came from and started the HST back from there instead....

...why? Where are they coming from do you think? HST comes off Etches Park depot presumably, hence starting at Derby.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Whenever I’ve done it, I’ve come from Stoke & I’m not the only one. But I wouldn’t say there was enough to justify a HST! But maybe enough to justify a better connection.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Then it doesn't come from Derby.
Working the 0753 to Skegness four times last year the majority of passengers who boarded at Derby had started their journey at that station, with a handful from Burton-upon-Trent and Willington, and a few off the Crewe line.

louis97

Established Member

Not strictly true. Apart from one Saturday in August, all Saturdays Derby will continue to have a train service to London via Spondon. This will use a temporary platform where necessary. Running to/from Derby is therefore not totally out of the question.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Not strictly true. Apart from one Saturday in August, all Saturdays Derby will continue to have a train service to London via Spondon. This will use a temporary platform where necessary. Running to/from Derby is therefore not totally out of the question.

OK, they are saying no trains Derby-Nottingham. It’s unlikely to be the only one surely?

AndrewE

Established Member
Whenever I’ve done it, I’ve come from Stoke & I’m not the only one. But I wouldn’t say there was enough to justify a HST! But maybe enough to justify a better connection.
I don't mind by-passing Derby at all, so an HST from Crewe (or even Stoke) to Skegness would be very tempting! Sheet Stores to Stension Junctions must be pretty rare...

Spartacus

Established Member
I reckon it'll be just Nottingham - Skegness, if it runs at all. I can't see anyone fancying trying get get a holiday train into the very restricted Derby station.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I did it once when Derby was closed before, and the Crewe-Derby train did Crewe-Nottingham instead. But not this time, buses instead!

I’d love, and hope, the HST did Crewe-Skegness. But I can’t banish the nagging doubt it’ll be Nottingham-Skegness with a bus connection from Derby.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Working the 0753 to Skegness four times last year the majority of passengers who boarded at Derby had started their journey at that station, with a handful from Burton-upon-Trent and Willington, and a few off the Crewe line.

But the fare to Skegness is so dear from the Crewe line, most people split at Derby anyway. So chances are a lot of the Derby people were Crewe line people too

bunnahabhain

Established Member

But the fare to Skegness is so dear from the Crewe line, most people split at Derby anyway. So chances are a lot of the Derby people were Crewe line people too
Maybe, but if you split you go into the system as two journeys, not one. So perhaps nobody travelled from Stoke to Skegness!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Maybe, but if you split you go into the system as two journeys, not one. So perhaps nobody travelled from Stoke to Skegness!

Depends if said travellers were aware they could save money by splitting at Derby, as you will probably get some who buy tickets for Stoke - Skegness then grumble about the price. Probably the same people who buy from The Train Line as they are not aware of any alternatives.

Knowledge is power ;)

Qwerty133

Established Member
I imagine Leicester to Skegness would be a much bigger market than the Crewe line so if EMT were going to extend the service through Nottingham Leicester would be the obvious choice especially considering it is (virtually?) impossible to make a connection into the HST at Nottingham.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I imagine Leicester to Skegness would be a much bigger market than the Crewe line so if EMT were going to extend the service through Nottingham Leicester would be the obvious choice especially considering it is (virtually?) impossible to make a connection into the HST at Nottingham.

As stated above though, people don’t seem to come from Leicester. Crewe used to have through trains to Skegness before the service was cut back to just Derby. Obviously the HST isn’t going to come from Crewe, but a better connection would help! This summer it’s a train and two buses and then another train!

Qwerty133

Established Member
As stated above though, people don’t seem to come from Leicester. Crewe used to have through trains to Skegness before the service was cut back to just Derby. Obviously the HST isn’t going to come from Crewe, but a better connection would help! This summer it’s a train and two buses and then another train!
Presumably because of the poor connectivity into the HST. At least 2 local coach companies run weekly services from Leicester to Skegness on Saturdays during the summer (and not at megabus/national express type prices).

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Far more people come from the Loughborough and Leicester direction than from the Crewe line in my experience, also the HST is easily manageable from an xx20 arrival into an xx32 departure more so once it becomes an xx45 departure in May!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Then it doesn't come from Derby.

You didn’t mention all those from Leicester before!

So the HST will now be 07:45? And starting in May?

Qwerty133

Established Member
Far more people come from the Loughborough and Leicester direction than from the Crewe line in my experience, also the HST is easily manageable from an xx20 arrival into an xx32 departure more so once it becomes an xx45 departure in May!
Have to admit I haven't used the service (or investigated the connections) for at least a few years but IIRC when I did the only way to make the HST from Nottingham was to travel on an Ivanhoe line service.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Have to admit I haven't used the service (or investigated the connections) for at least a few years but IIRC when I did the only way to make the HST from Nottingham was to travel on an Ivanhoe line service.
Usually departs Nottingham towards Skegness at 0830ish, and 0945.

Ther are sometimes 222's or double 158 plus 153 on derby to crewe and at least once, cos I've seen it, a HST

Nev20

Slightly off topic but I use the Sheffield to Brum corridor quite often as a student. My mind has gone blank on to what way the trains are going to be going with this "avoiding derby half hour extra" service that's running. Someone put me right please!
r

Spartacus

Established Member
Slightly off topic but I use the Sheffield to Brum corridor quite often as a student. My mind has gone blank on to what way the trains are going to be going with this "avoiding derby half hour extra" service that's running. Someone put me right please!

r

From Chesterfield, rather than bearing left to go towards Ambergate and Derby they'll keep straight on down the Erewash Valley to Toton, briefly meeting the Midland Main Line at Trent Jn/Sheet Stores Jn, then heading past Castle Donington and regaining their normal route at Stenson Jn between Derby and Willington. It'll add about half an hour onto the journey.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
From Chesterfield, rather than bearing left to go towards Ambergate and Derby they'll keep straight on down the Erewash Valley to Toton, briefly meeting the Midland Main Line at Trent Jn/Sheet Stores Jn, then heading past Castle Donington and regaining their normal route at Stenson Jn between Derby and Willington. It'll add about half an hour onto the journey.
I wonder if someone's left hand doesn't know what it's right hand is doing ...... otherwise a good explanation :)

Spartacus

Established Member
Haha, I was originally thinking of coming from Birmingham, but as Nev20 had stated Sheffield - Brum I changed my mind part way through!

Status
Not open for further replies.