• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT HST running with only one power car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
was going to say 43074 has been dumped at cricklewood for 2 days now, also on the same day there was 2x37+47 all drs loco's on about 10 new wagons any idea of the workings going north

richa2002

Established Member
was going to say 43074 has been dumped at cricklewood for 2 days now, also on the same day there was 2x37+47 all drs loco's on about 10 new wagons any idea of the workings going north
Those three locos were doing a Wembley - Chaddesden wagon move, unfortunately when I heard about them, they'd already passed Harpenden.

me123

Established Member
No harm in submitting it: it's certainly an interesing shot and an "unusual sighting". I'm sure someone would pay to have it pubblished somewhere, even just as filler material.

richa2002

Established Member
I did say I known It can be done just never seen that one before.

and well maybe you wouldn't pay to see it but the magazine editors would.
It should hopefully be going into The Railway Magazine :).

Coradia

I wonder how many passengers couldn't resist sticking their heads out of the rear of coach J on that service?

westcoaster

Established Member
I wonder how many passengers couldn't resist sticking their heads out of the rear of coach J on that service?

think it was going e.c.s to derby or neville hill, would not of got into st.pancreas without a power car at the south end.

looks like emt are in no rush to get it home, still there, might have to be a retunrn by road, or a drag.

rail-britain

Established Member
Providing the HST already en-route then dumping a failed rear power car is permitted, more common now than pre-privitisation, it's a lost resort if a loco cannot be sourced to move or assist the striken HST

NXEC do it quite often as well
However, if northbound the train will not be permitted past Edinburgh
If southbound from Inverness or Aberdeen then normally a replacement HST power car will be attached at Edinburgh, if none is available then the service will terminate

class 313

Established Member
Providing the HST already en-route then dumping a failed rear power car is permitted, more common now than pre-privitisation, it's a lost resort if a loco cannot be sourced to move or assist the striken HST

NXEC do it quite often as well
However, if northbound the train will not be permitted past Edinburgh
If southbound from Inverness or Aberdeen then normally a replacement HST power car will be attached at Edinburgh, if none is available then the service will terminate

Don't NXEC change power cars regularly at Edinburgh?

Craig

Established Member
Yeah, Craigentinny is the home depot for NXEC's HST fleet.

The morning Leeds - Aberdeen service has run to Edinburgh with one power car a few times.

Craig

Established Member
Depends how you define big I suppose. It's certainly quite a rare move, less common than say a mk4 rake running out of formation.

Besides, your opinion is generally proven to be wrong ;)

class 313

Established Member
Depends how you define big I suppose. It's certainly quite a rare move, less common than say a mk4 rake running out of formation.

Besides, your opinion is generally proven to be wrong ;)

An opinion can't be wrong unless if I was stating it as a fact. Which I'm not. ;)

1D53

Established Member
The morning Leeds - Aberdeen service has run to Edinburgh with one power car a few times.
How? you can't even get it from Neville Hill to Leeds to start the service....

rail-britain

Established Member
Presumably the set leaves Neville Hill with both power cars and the rear power car is then detached at Leeds
This leaves the question, how do they get the abandoned power car back to Neville Hill or Bounds Green?

Alternatively, the service could continue to York, where the rear power is detached, and that would probably be easier to get the failed power car back to Bounds Green

Craig

Established Member
How? you can't even get it from Neville Hill to Leeds to start the service...

No idea, I've seen it happen at least once though. I think there's a photo of it around somewhere, I can't find it though. Perhaps the set was dragged into Leeds by one of the shunters or something?

No idea, I've seen it happen at least once though. I think there's a photo of it around somewhere, I can't find it though. Perhaps the set was dragged into Leeds by one of the shunters or something?
...and once or twice a 67 has taken the place of the lead powercar for the journey to Edinburgh. Now THAT is something worth seeing...

theblackwatch

Established Member
...and once or twice a 67 has taken the place of the lead powercar for the journey to Edinburgh. Now THAT is something worth seeing...

I've not heard of that, but on one occasion, it was a 67 and HST power car both at the front of the train. I believe when it has only had one power car on the train, the service has started at York.

rail-britain

Established Member
I've done a search and no records of a Class 67 hauling a HST as substitute for the leading power car
I'm not even sure it is possible, is the Class 67 knuckle coupling compatible with a Mark 3 buckeye?
However, there are plenty of reports of Class 67 locos hauling failed sets, along with other locos, including the occasional Class 91

In my last week with ICEC every HST I worked on failed, and each one was rescued by a Class 37

Status
Not open for further replies.