• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT - Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm lucky enough to have been chosen for interview for a part time assistant ticket inspector role with East Midlands Trains. My main question is what should I expect from the interview, and has anybody got any good tips? I also have to do a fare and validity test which I'm reasonably confident about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Death

Established Member
Hail Max! <D
I've never attended an interview for EMT, but given that they (Seem to be) a virtual carbon-copy of SWT, here's a brief overview of an SWT interview that I attended in Basingstoke a few years ago for a booking office position. I know it might be a bit out of date, but hopefully it might help ye all the same. 8)

The first stage of the interview is done in a group - With interviewees being asked to complete relevant aptitude tests in a school exam fashion (Question book, answer book, time limit etc) after which the papers are removed for grading/marking. There may also be a group intro/icebreaker session before this, and possibly a team-building exercise or two.

After the aptitude tests (Which I think are used as a first stage applicant screening process) the group may be divided into two sub-groups and led away seperateley...It's at this point that applicants find out if they passed the aptitude tests or not, with one group for the "passes" and the other for the "Not so successful".

Those who pass the aptitude tests might then take part in a group interview and/or discussion of the test and it's results, with feedback on good and iffy (But acceptable) areas being offered. After this, applicants are then put through a traditional job interview where 2-4 managers/personnel people (Depending on relevant departments) may be present.

I'll apologise if my info might be a little outdated or not relevant, but I thought I'd give ye my experience of the SWT interview process just in case EMT use the same or similar approach. :)
Back to the aptitude tests briefly - Though I'm sure I don't need to tell ye this - Make sure that ye give the demo paper they sent ye a few goes (Write the answers onto a bit of scrap rather than the answer sheet) to double-check that ye understand the exam format and the kind of questions that ye might be asked. :)

Farewell for now, hope this info helps ye (And anyone else applying to SWT/EMT) and the very be(a)st of luck to ye in the interview! <D
>> Death <<

Bellwater

i'll ask around for you, Max. seem to be a lot of new ATEs popping up recently at Nottingham.

The last person i know had an interview failed on not knowing enough about EMT and Stagecoach Group so i'm told.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the advice guys. Had it yesterday and I hear back tomorrow, so I shall update this when I hear more! :)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Got the letter back today, not good news unfortunately. :(

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unlucky Max but look on it as good experience so you will know what to expect at your next interview.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Got some feedback, apparently I was a bit quick in the interview, which isn't something that I've been told before so it's worth working on. However, it seems like it was just that there were a few 'well rounded' candidates on the day with both a great deal of railway experience and good interview performance, so perhaps I was just unlucky with who I came up against.

CarterUSM

Established Member
That doesn't sound too bad at all mate. Work on what they've told you and you should excel next time. I take it there weren't many posts either? It's a fair shout that some more will come up in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That doesn't sound too bad at all mate. Work on what they've told you and you should excel next time. I take it there weren't many posts either? It's a fair shout that some more will come up in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

There were 45 applications for 2 posts and I got to the last 14, so not a bad effort I don't think! Having spoken to EMT today to get the feedback, the suggestion was that more roles would become available in the future as a result of ATEs applying internally for driver and conductor positions, so I'm quietly confident for the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.