EMT services that stopped at Meadowhall

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Intercity 225, 11 Jun 2018.

1. Intercity 225

Intercity 225 Member

Hi,

I’m looking for some info regarding the former EMT services that stopped at Meadowhall. Interested in anything related but would especially like to know:

When did they start/cease and what were the reasons why they were stopped?

What services called there? Was it just the Leeds services or those to Barnsley, Scarborough etc too?

How many EMT services stopped at Meadowhall per day?

All insight appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

AFAIK it was only the Barnsley services as they were 170s (all HST and 222-operated services were too long for the platforms), though I'm sure someone will correct me otherwise. These services were operated by National Express Group under the Midland Mainline brand, rather than Stagecoach East Midlands Trains.

4. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

It was just Barnsley services. Nothing for Leeds or Scarborough.

This was when Derby and Nottingham both got an hourly Midland Mainline two coach 170 to London, which waited at Leicester for ten/fifteen minutes so that connections could be made with the hourly HSTs.

IIRC the trains were based at Etches Park, ran up in the morning (ECS?), then the first Barnsley service arrived in Sheffield about 08:40, so a useful morning rush hour arrival (the only intermediate stop was Meadowhall). This then got to London about mid-day (maybe half eleven?). There was then an afternoon/evening extension of a London - Derby service up to Barnsley - again, the unit ran back to the East Midlands afterwards (rather than continuing on to Leeds).

Similar extensions of the London - Derby service ran to Burton and Matlock (a two coach 170 could run to Matlock, a four/five coach 222 was too heavy, so the service was withdrawn when the new trains arrived).

So there was certainly one morning call (southbound) at Meadowhall and one afternoon/evening call (northbound) there - I can't recall whether the "placing journeys" ran ECS or actually in service, so can't be certain whether there was a corresponding stop in the opposite direction.

Barnsley - Sheffield was a twenty minute stopper back then, so an additional service (and one that ran non-stop north of Meadowhall) was a welcome development - even if it took a long time to actually reach London.

5. Intercity 225

Intercity 225 Member

Thank you for the replies, very interesting reading.

I’ve also come across this timetable - it says that the Midland Mainline York services stopped at Meadowhall too, were these also operated by the Class 170s?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Ra...746345?hash=item3d65ca1069:g:0yEAAOSwGllaYmAv

And the main reason I initially asked the question was because Meadowhall showed as a limited service stop on the EMT network maps until relatively recently - was this just an oversight? Example below:

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/EMT v2.7.pdf

Many Thanks

6. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

There was also a Nottingham to Barnsley service in the middle of the day, via Alfreton. The York and Scarborough definitely called on a weekend too, I remember catching it approx 2004.

7. Intercity 225

Intercity 225 Member

Interesting and many thanks for the info... I presume that those services were also run by 170s at the time then?

Also the following EMT map shows services to Barnsley during their franchise - do you know if this is a misprint or whether services continued during their operation or not?

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/East Mids 2.jpg

Thank you

8. Ebore

Ebore Member

9. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

The Turbostars left Midland Mainline in 2004 I think, they were never really suitable for Midland Mainline. I think the Midland Mainline services to Matlock ended at around the same time.

10. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Member

The only time I ever caught one of these (from Meadowhall to Barnsley and back at a lunchtime) it was a 5 car 22x - not a 170.

11. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Something to do with 222s being too heavy. Bridge maybe?

12. Intercity 225

Intercity 225 Member

Thank you for the additional replies.

Does anyone know when the EMT Barnsley services stopped? And also why Meadowhall is omitted on the York EMT services today?

Many Thanks

13. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

Are platforms 1 and 2 at Meadowhall too short for 222s?

14. louis97

louis97 Established Member

Makes no difference, 222s have SDO.
    York service has no requirement to stop, so no reason to. EMT have stopped it before however, I think at Christmas.

15. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Barnsley services were withdrawn at the December 2008 timetable change (when the MML was recast from 4tph up to 5tph long distance)