• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT strike (regional routes) - Sat 20 & 27 Jul, 3 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Further to my post last week on a thread which got closed by admin as I hadn't noticed the present earlier thread

Industrial action by the RMT is currently many cancellations on EMT on Saturdays, almost unnoticed on this forum.

Why do the unions always choose Saturdays for their strikes and inconvenience football supporters? Last season was ruined by a lengthy series of Saturday strikes on Northern. And in London, tube workers threatened to disrupt FA Cup/Vase/Trophy weekend last May until coming to a last minute agreement.

I have some sympathy with the strikers but wish they would occasionally pick on different groups of passengers to share out the misery more equitably.

I now see that the RMT have called a strike on Merseyrail Electrics on, you've guessed it, SATURDAY 24th August.

In the event my journey from Ellesmere Port to Alfreton, normally a simple trip with one change taking 3 hr 40 mins, actually took 5 hrs 26 mins as the Northern service from Lime Street to Piccadilly was 33 mins late making me miss the skeleton two-hourly Manchester - Nottingham service. Northern crew were apparently unable to clear a PAD error on the class 195 and had to call in maintenance staff. What is a PAD?

(To make matters worse, Bradford got stuffed 4-0)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Further to my post last week on a thread which got closed by admin as I hadn't noticed the present earlier thread

Industrial action by the RMT is currently many cancellations on EMT on Saturdays, almost unnoticed on this forum.

Why do the unions always choose Saturdays for their strikes and inconvenience football supporters? Last season was ruined by a lengthy series of Saturday strikes on Northern. And in London, tube workers threatened to disrupt FA Cup/Vase/Trophy weekend last May until coming to a last minute agreement.

I have some sympathy with the strikers but wish they would occasionally pick on different groups of passengers to share out the misery more equitably.

I now see that the RMT have called a strike on Merseyrail Electrics on, you've guessed it, SATURDAY 24th August.

In the event my journey from Ellesmere Port to Alfreton, normally a simple trip with one change taking 3 hr 40 mins, actually took 5 hrs 26 mins as the Northern service from Lime Street to Piccadilly was 33 mins late making me miss the skeleton two-hourly Manchester - Nottingham service. Northern crew were apparently unable to clear a PAD error on the class 195 and had to call in maintenance staff. What is a PAD?

(To make matters worse, Bradford got stuffed 4-0)

Logically it's the best way to get your strike more support from the staff. Staff don't like working Saturdays as it's a lot of aggro and contingency guards don't want to work either.

If Saturday didn't involve herding drunks then it would be less popular for strikes.

Jozhua

Established Member
Logically it's the best way to get your strike more support from the staff. Staff don't like working Saturdays as it's a lot of aggro and contingency guards don't want to work either.

If Saturday didn't involve herding drunks then it would be less popular for strikes.

Lol very true, football fans aren't exactly the best passengers, not fair on staff to have to deal with shouting and sometimes aggression from fans!

With that said commuters can be a bit entitled and leasure passengers tend to include those "I want to speak to the manager" types. I just want some quiet on my trains, I'm sure the staff feel the same way too...

Scotty

Lol very true, football fans aren't exactly the best passengers, not fair on staff to have to deal with shouting and sometimes aggression from fans!

With that said commuters can be a bit entitled and leasure passengers tend to include those "I want to speak to the manager" types. I just want some quiet on my trains, I'm sure the staff feel the same way too...

Not every football fan is a hooligan, wanting to cause trouble wherever they go.

PG

Established Member
TBH when I first read mention of drunks I took it as a reference to 'Hen-Party' attendee's who can sometimes be just as boisterous as any footie fan, and thus probably another reason for RMT members to better support (in)action on Saturday's.

Status
Not open for further replies.