• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT strike (regional routes) - Sat 20 & 27 Jul, 3 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Out of interest considering that I'm guessing Crewe-Derby won't be running on Strike Days what's the alternative route to get from say Manchester/Crewe-Derby on these dates?

Are there any plans to run limited Rail Replacements on any of the routes affected like what Northern did when they were striking last year?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Out of interest considering that I'm guessing Crewe-Derby won't be running on Strike Days what's the alternative route to get from say Manchester/Crewe-Derby on these dates?

Are there any plans to run limited Rail Replacements on any of the routes affected like what Northern did when they were striking last year?
If there is no train or bus replacement service via Uttoxeter you can still go via any other permitted route, e.g. via Tamworth or via Sheffield.

Qwerty133

Established Member

cactustwirly

Established Member
Looks like a handful of services at most cancelled on most routes in all honesty. The fact that you haven't even managed to get the Skegness HSTs cancelled suggests this strike is terribly supported to be honest.

You don't know that, they might have been able to train up a load of managers.

londonmidland

Established Member
No direct Nottingham to Norwich services and no rail replacement. Looks like passengers for East Anglia will have to get a Skegness service to Grantham, LNER down to Peterborough and then XC/GA to their final destination.

Steveoh

No direct Nottingham to Norwich services and no rail replacement. Looks like passengers for East Anglia will have to get a Skegness service to Grantham, LNER down to Peterborough and then XC/GA to their final destination.

Yep, looks to be the case. Being affected by this it would be quite nice to know what's intended. Luckily we aren't booked to travel until the 3rd so previous weekend experience should tell us what's going to happen.

Edit: I've been told ticket acceptance should be in place. I guess we'll find out.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
You don't know that, they might have been able to train up a load of managers.
Then they have an awful lot more managers than I'd expect. Let's remember TOCs normally use managers from sister TOCs as well as their own during strikes but EMT is the last stagecoach owned franchise meaning they have no other TOCs to borrow managers from. Also remember that during the last strike they just about managed an hourly service on the London line and basically nothing else.

LowLevel

Established Member
Then they have an awful lot more managers than I'd expect. Let's remember TOCs normally use managers from sister TOCs as well as their own during strikes but EMT is the last stagecoach owned franchise meaning they have no other TOCs to borrow managers from. Also remember that during the last strike they just about managed an hourly service on the London line and basically nothing else.

The London side train managers aren't striking.

clagmonster

Established Member
Looks like a handful of services at most cancelled on most routes in all honesty. The fact that you haven't even managed to get the Skegness HSTs cancelled suggests this strike is terribly supported to be honest.
Hang on.
Robin Hood:
All Nottingham - Worksop trains caped, only the hourly Mansfield Woodhouse terminators running.

Nottingham - Norwich
Everything caped

Grimsby - Lincoln - Newark
Everything caped

Nottingham - Derby
Everything caped

Nottingham - Leicester
Everything caped

Joint Line
Everything caped

Along with varying levels of reduction in service to everything else except Derby - Crewe.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Maybe go check out the actual ballot return to see how well supported it is.

vlad

How come Derby to Crewe is running as normal? I can't help feeling there's a catch.

Silver Cobra

Interesting to see that EMT have prioritised keeping the Nottingham-Skegness route running as near to a full service as possible, including the HSTs. The extra summer holiday traffic must be sufficient enough to warrant this. I was planning to travel to Skegness on July 27th using the first HST from Sleaford before the strike was announced, so as long as the timetable for the 20th is used on the 27th, that can still go ahead.

Established Member
How come Derby to Crewe is running as normal? I can't help feeling there's a catch.
Why would you think the Crewe route would be dropped completely? It is a very busy route and is quite vital.

I would think that a lot of the staff that will be working on the strike days may be managers of some sort which a lot work out of Derby (and maybe Nottingham) which is why most of the routes that are running are centred around these areas.

Jozhua

Established Member
Just as Northern rail gets fixed :(

Now I'm going to be relying on two franchises with a habit of striking, if TPE start, that'll be the icing on the cake! :s

LowLevel

Established Member
Just as Northern rail gets fixed :(

Now I'm going to be relying on two franchises with a habit of striking, if TPE start, that'll be the icing on the cake! :s

We don't have a habit of striking. There's a very specific range of issues affecting one grade who haven't been on strike for many years. That isn't a habit.

vlad

Why would you think the Crewe route would be dropped completely? It is a very busy route and is quite vital.

I know it's busy - from experience it's usually standing room only on the hourly 153....

I was just commenting that given the lack of investment in this route (although this could be observer bias) it seems unusual that Derby to Crewe is the only route that won't be affected by the strike.

HH

Established Member
Pay discrimination must refer to the fact that the ex-Central "senior conductors" get paid less than the ex-MML staff. AFAIK this has been the case since day 1; the T&Cs are a bit different too, but the duties are not identical either. I tend to think that this is preemptive action aimed at Abellio, as previously suggested.

On Moderation
This has to be one of the most pointless examples of strike action ever seen. In the dying days of the franchise, RMT ought to know full well that EMT are not going to be able to commit to anything beyond the end of the franchise; by the time any deal might be agreed, Abellio will be in charge and they will have to start over again.

This has all the signs of being about the RMT's leadership seen "being tough" than anything else. There's a surprise - Mick Cash's term of office ends in September.

HH

Established Member
This has to be one of the most pointless examples of strike action ever seen. In the dying days of the franchise, RMT ought to know full well that EMT are not going to be able to commit to anything beyond the end of the franchise; by the time any deal might be agreed, Abellio will be in charge and they will have to start over again.

This has all the signs of being about the RMT's leadership seen "being tough" than anything else. There's a surprise - Mick Cash's term of office ends in September.
Ah. Thanks for that insight.

LowLevel

Established Member
Pay discrimination must refer to the fact that the ex-Central "senior conductors" get paid less than the ex-MML staff. AFAIK this has been the case since day 1; the T&Cs are a bit different too, but the duties are not identical either. I tend to think that this is preemptive action aimed at Abellio, as previously suggested.

Nothing to do with the two sides of the business. Everything to do with EMT choosing to change the contracts they offer to people within the same grade to attempt to save some money and various agreements or non agreements as the case may be.

It's been going on a very long time and it would be a bit hard to take the matter up with Abellio without going in to dispute with Stagecoach first, no?

It's about a whole list of issues that have been festering for a while.

I wish I could go into more detail but on a public forum that would be unwise.

On Moderation
It's been going on a very long time and it would be a bit hard to take the matter up with Abellio without going in to dispute with Stagecoach first, no?

It's about a whole list of issues that have been festering for a while.

I wish I could go into more detail but on a public forum that would be unwise.
Being in dispute doesn't have to mean going on strike. Better surely to start having discussions with Abellio, rather than taking the childish action they have and throw the toys out of the pram with an organisation that isn't going to be able to implement anything.

Class 170101

Established Member

Or via XC from Leicester to Ely.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Being in dispute doesn't have to mean going on strike. Better surely to start having discussions with Abellio, rather than taking the childish action they have and throw the toys out of the pram with an organisation that isn't going to be able to implement anything.
What makes you so sure anything new needs to be implemented. It all stems to agreements/non-agreements/resolution of disputes from quite some years ago that have been festering in the background for ages.

Carlisle

Established Member
What makes you so sure anything new needs to be implemented. It all stems to agreements/non-agreements/resolution of disputes from quite some years ago that have been festering in the background for ages.
Then, if what’s been said on here is correct, it sounds like Stagecoach could do with the services of a decent lawyer (but undersabbly the way the DFTs treated them propably can’t be bothered) given all this appears to have practically nothing to do with the current employer or they’d have declared a dispute ages ago if issues weren’t resolved, and almost everything to do with pre emotive action against a future employer they don’t yet work for .

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Then, if what’s been said on here is correct, it sounds like Stagecoach could do with the services of a decent lawyer (but undersabbly the way the DFTs treated them propably can’t be bothered) given all this appears to have practically nothing to do with the current employer or they’d have declared a dispute ages ago if issues weren’t resolved, and almost everything to do with pre emotive action against a future employer they don’t yet work for .
A union isn't a corporation so cannot prosecute the company.

LowLevel

Established Member

I'd love to know how anyone could hold Abellio to be responsible for many and numerous issues with drafting contracts and implementation or otherwise of agreements between 2008 and 2019. The action has to start against Stagecoach. Abellio can look at it as they see fit and can still resolve historic issues.

woodmally

So what is the reason for this strike? I have read all these posts and still non the wiser. Something to do with pensions and wages but what is the problem with the wages? It seems like this is completely out of the blue.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
So what is the reason for this strike? I have read all these posts and still non the wiser. Something to do with pensions and wages but what is the problem with the wages? It seems like this is completely out of the blue.

My understanding is that there may well be some grievances that should have been resolved by now but, like others, I still find the relatively sudden strike action, against an operator in their last month of operation, to be a little odd. Why wasn't such action pursued many months ago if the union felt they weren't getting anywhere ?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
My understanding is that there may well be some grievances that should have been resolved by now but, like others, I still find the relatively sudden strike action, against an operator in their last month of operation, to be a little odd. Why wasn't such action pursued many months ago if the union felt they weren't getting anywhere ?
Simple, you talk and discuss things through before you ever reach strike action. This has been ongoing for years and multiple avenues have been taken, they've all led to this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.