• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT & SWT Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed but never really noticed that the EMT and certain SWT stock carries the same luvery with different company branding for each respective company.
Anybody know how andcwhy this came about?
Why do they both carry such different but the same liveries?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomglazed

Both of the previous franchises on these lines were operated by Stagecoach. The livery used their corporate branding and colour palettes heavily and was applied with some variation to signify which type of service the stock typically ran on:
  • Red base - Urban
  • Blue base - Suburban
  • White base - Intercity
EMT was the same idea except no red base and in its place was all blue to signify local/metro.

Incidentally on SWT, I am not sure which came first but the stagecoach colours were either picked for this purpose or it was a co-incidence, was able to use the former British Rail region colours that all the stock was in at the time when Stagecoach took the area over.

sd0733

Established Member
I noticed but never really noticed that the EMT and certain SWT stock carries the same luvery with different company branding for each respective company.
Anybody know how andcwhy this came about?
Why do they both carry such different but the same liveries?
Both liveries are adaptations of Stagecoach livery as they ran both TOCs.

So the SWT livery
800px-South_West_Trains_class_158.jpg

And the EMT livery
1280px-158854_Sheffield.jpg

Are the same, were applied by the same company, but now EMT and SWT are seperate companies?

transmanche

Established Member
So the SWT livery And the EMT livery Are the same, were applied by the same company, but now EMT and SWT are seperate companies?
Both SWT and EMT were owned by Stagecoach. Neither SWT nor EMT exist anymore. SWT's franchise passed to SWR (owned by First and MTR) and EMT's franchise passed to EMR (owned by Albellio).

sprinterguy

Established Member
Incidentally on SWT, I am not sure which came first but the stagecoach colours were either picked for this purpose or it was a co-incidence, was able to use the former British Rail region colours that all the stock was in at the time when Stagecoach took the area over.
Purely down to fortuitous coincidence: I'm not sure exactly when the scheme was launched, but the Stagecoach stripes and colour palette were well established by the early eighties, long before Stagecoach got involved in rail franchising.

As far as I know the first application of Stagecoach livery to railway rolling stock was, in fact, the handful of mark 2s that were repainted in 1992 to provide an "open access" seated section on the London - Aberdeen sleeper.

pdeaves

Established Member
Purely down to fortuitous coincidence: I'm not sure exactly when the scheme was launched, but the Stagecoach stripes and colour palette were well established by the early eighties, long before Stagecoach got involved in rail franchising.
Yes, Network SouthEast (NSE) was red/white/blue and Stagecoach was red/white/blue/orange so it was easy to add an orange stripe to NSE colours to 'make it their own'. Chiltern's original livery also clearly owes its origins to NSE.

As far as I know the first application of Stagecoach livery to railway rolling stock was, in fact, the handful of mark 2s that were repainted in 1992 to provide an "open access" seated section on the London - Aberdeen sleeper.
Indeed so. That service didn't last very long: http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/operators/franchises1.shtm#pioneers It's interesting (to me, anyway) that Stagecoach, which really was a pioneer in doing the sleeper seated coaches and thus the first private operator (in the non-heritage sense) is now out.
Sample image: http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/700000/images/_701118_stagecoachtrain300.jpg

molecrochip

As far as SWT goes, initially, both the Mark 1 units and class 455 units gained an Stagecoach orange stripe along with some of the Class 442 units.

The plan was for the white stagecoach livery to apply throughout originally hence the Class 458 units were delivered in white. By the time that the Desiro order was placed, the decision had been made to have a different livery (i.e. Blue) for Outer Suburban Class 450 units. This caused the anomaly that the Class 458 units carried the wrong livery, later corrected when they were reformed into 5 car sets.

The Red livery was the final to appear at the end of 2004 when the Class 455 refurbishment began.

The EMT franchise did not start until 2007 so the base livery set was already well established. This followed the same pattern that First Group had already instigated by having similar corporate liveries for First Great Western, First Capital Connect and First Transpenine franchises.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
For some reason I always thought the Stagecoach blue scheme looked better on a 450 than a 153 though...

Im sorry but apart from having the same basic colours NSE and EMT/SWT liveries are nothing alike at all.
They give the trains a whole new look. Same with Chilterns railways scheme.

So if we focus on just the one livery... EMT especially the Class 158 units that were used on the Liverpool Lime street - Nottingham services.

What year was that livery applied to those trains?

I know the company had a fleet is Class 156 sets, did they ever use them on those afore mentioned services?

talltim

Established Member
Im sorry but apart from having the same basic colours NSE and EMT/SWT liveries are nothing alike at all.
They give the trains a whole new look. Same with Chilterns railways scheme.

So if we focus on just the one livery... EMT especially the Class 158 units that were used on the Liverpool Lime street - Nottingham services.

I know the company had a fleet is Class 156 sets, did they ever use them on those afore mentioned services?
The livery iwas applied fairly early on inthe franchise, the units they inherited were in a ragbag of liveries (some units having three liveries in one!) and were in a poor state internally. EMT refurbed them and repainted at the same time. Some will I'm sure be able to give actually dates.
The 156s weren't supposed be used on the Liverpool/Norwich services, but over the last few years of the franchise some were, always paired with a 158. However under EMR I've seen one of these services formed to two 156s

pdeaves

Established Member
True now, but the original immediate privatisation livery was based on NSE:
images

Chiltern: I talking original, pre-silver livery. Take out the NSE upsweep leaving just blue with angled end plus red stripe below. It was done like that to minimise repainting costs (just retouching the cab ends required). I'm looking for a picture of NSE and 'new' (at the time) Chiltern side by side but can't find one yet.

Goldfish62

Established Member
True now, but the original immediate privatisation livery was based on NSE:
images

Chiltern: I talking original, pre-silver livery. Take out the NSE upsweep leaving just blue with angled end plus red stripe below. It was done like that to minimise repainting costs (just retouching the cab ends required). I'm looking for a picture of NSE and 'new' (at the time) Chiltern side by side but can't find one yet.
This used the NSE layout as a base, but with Stagecoach colours, except with pale beige replacing white. The blue, red and orange shades were those used on Stagecoach buses in the stripey era and are not related to NSE shades.

The 458 livery and subsequent variations were based on and introduced at the same time as the new corporate swirly style applied to buses. Interior colours, apart from seat moquette and floors are largely the same as Stagecoach buses as well.

Stagecoach are planning on moving to more sobre colours, with the latest buses for Manchester having a grey and blue interior, and a much mooted new livery style is expected soon.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member

The class 158s received East Midlands Trains livery as they were refurbished between Autumn 2008 and Spring 2010: 158783 was the first unit to be released from works in the EMT livery on 31st October 2008.

A list of refurbishment dates for the individual units involved can be found here:
http://railwayuk.50webs.com/158emt.html

Class 156s haven't, to my knowledge, been regular booked traction on the Liverpool - Norwich services since class 158s were introduced to these services in the early nineties, however during East Midlands Trains' tenure class 156s have often deputised for unavailable class 158s, particularly in the role of the unit that strengthens the Nottingham - Liverpool section to four carriages.
T
The 156s weren't supposed be used on the Liverpool/Norwich services, but over the last few years of the franchise some were, always paired with a 158. However under EMR I've seen one of these services formed to two 156s
There was even a 156+153 formation that made it at least as far as Manchester on Saturday. That strikes me as quite unusual on that service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.