• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT Train Drivers Olympic Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianthegiant

Another argument on the union side that I read somewhere in the press but I don't think anyone mentioned here is to do with demographics. At present the railway is expanding, and presumably numbers of employees have increased in recent years. Hence the ratio of employees to retirees (is that a word?) is high. So at the moment the pot looks healthy but there needs to be some contingency to hedge against the risk that in the future the railway might go through a period of contraction again, reducing the number of people paying in. Though I'm not 100% clear if there aren't other checks in place for this risk factor?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chuckles1066

As others have said in this thread, the whole point of any industrial action is to cause maximum disruption to and/or embarassment for the employer, whilst losing as little pay as possible for the workers. The Olympics provide an ideal opportunity for this.

Indeed.

Politicians of all parties are petrified that, under the glare of the world spotlight via the Olympic Games, Britain will be shown up for what it really is.

I'm still baffled why the fuel tanker drivers didn't vote to strike about three days before the Games began.......panic buying of fuel would ensure the pumps were dry for the duration of the Games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way militant but it's high time the rest of the world had their eyes opened to the plight of your average Brit.

Sod's law says the sun will shine relentlessly for the duration and everyone will think that typifies our climate :mad::mad::mad:

exile

Established Member
Indeed.

Politicians of all parties are petrified that, under the glare of the world spotlight via the Olympic Games, Britain will be shown up for what it really is.

I'm still baffled why the fuel tanker drivers didn't vote to strike about three days before the Games began.......panic buying of fuel would ensure the pumps were dry for the duration of the Games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way militant but it's high time the rest of the world had their eyes opened to the plight of your average Brit.

Sod's law says the sun will shine relentlessly for the duration and everyone will think that typifies our climate :mad::mad::mad:

Well -considering that 95% of people in the world are worse off than the average Brit......

blacknight

Strange.

You'd almost think that the 'company' where trying to pull a fast one and save a few £million before the franchise ends...

Surely not:lol:
Not an easy dispute for politician to handle as it could be said drivers are acting in best interest of pension fund, whilt to coin a phrase An here today gone tomorrow TOC could be seen as acting in their own best interest.
Hard then for politicians to then appear in public calling for all of us to make better provision for our pensions in retirement

whhistle

On Moderation
The same thing happened in First North Western days, they then build up again with a new TOC then you can guarantee the cycle starts again. But I will be honest with everyone here when Morale is at Rock Bottom the only people who suffer (apart from the staff) are the passengers.
Perhaps a benefit of the longer franchises planned.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Perhaps a benefit of the longer franchises planned.

Like most I would welcome longer franchises, but it also takes an MD who can be fair and negotiate, Heidi had that and she was respected this latest MD is a joke who seems to thrive on p**sing its staff off.

Status
Not open for further replies.