• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMTs route catering trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
East Midlanda are currently doing a three week trial of catering off the normal routes. Selected Skegness & Norwich services are getting a trolley East of Nottingham. Not sure how far this happens on the Skeggy route but unfortunatley its only as far as Peterborough on the Norwich. In my opinion Ely would be better as Nottingham-Peterborough is probably the quietest part of the route. Last Thursday the 11.57 was very busy until Peterborough where she boarded but only around 40 remained thereafter. Even so she seemed to be doing a decent trade passing through again after Grantham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Just checked for you with one of the managers and Norwich trial has finished already. Skegness only now. The Skegness have been done in previous summers. I do agree that Norwich do need trollies and that Norwich to Ely is definitely the busiest section. Would be better having a Norwich to Peterborough trolly and based in Norwich rather than attempting something from the Nottingham end.

dk1

Veteran Member
Just checked for you with one of the managers and Norwich trial has finished already. Skegness only now. The Skegness have been done in previous summers. I do agree that Norwich do need trollies and that Norwich to Ely is definitely the busiest section. Would be better having a Norwich to Peterborough trolly and based in Norwich rather than attempting something from the Nottingham end.

May have happened if AGA had taken over Norwich to Nottingham if the proposed split takes place. Not sure whether East Midlands will continue with it if only Not-Pbo.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Many moons ago (early 90s) I had a part-time job with Rightline. Used to do Sheffield to Ely and back every Sunday afternoon. Was always very busy!

Must have been a Regional Railways (or Provincial) 156.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I did Nottingham - Skegness and back today. Blimey, isn't Skeggy a depressing cavalcade of comic sans t-shirts and novelty fridge magnets these days?

Pity there was no trolley. I could have really done with a nice cold drink and maybe some crisps...

David Barrett

Skegness, Cleethorpes, Blackpool...all about the same :P

This reminds me of a row which broke out in the fitter's mess room at Immingham many years ago when someone had the audacity to say that he thought Skegness was better than Cleethorpes. Any way the shouting continued for a short while,

"CLEETHORPES-SKEGNESS-CLEETHORPES-SKEGNESS" and so on until someone asked,

"Which one do you think Dave?"

So I put my Guardian down and quietly said,

"Whitby".

Whilst the place doesn't come into the trial, the mention of Cleethorpes, EMT and an on train catering attempt does leave me with a vision of the trolley and its hapless attendant being refused, along with a number of aspiring passengers, entry to the train at Market Rasen and directed to the bus stop at the end of the station approach.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Many moons ago (early 90s) I had a part-time job with Rightline. Used to do Sheffield to Ely and back every Sunday afternoon. Was always very busy!

Must have been a Regional Railways (or Provincial) 156.

You probably served me many times. Norwich had Julie, Angie & Sharon with the BIG hair :lol:

CallySleeper

Established Member
I had a trolley on my Skeggy trip yesterday, albeit probably because it was an HST. The return (153+156) didn't.

I note the 17.30 ex Skeggy was a 153+156+158 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.