• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMU power distribution (inter-car connections)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
The first series of Eurostars (373s) don't have 25kV connections, I don't believe. Each power car has a pantograph raised and the power car supplies power just for its own motors and the adjacent motor bogie under the first coach.

That does sound correct. Would make sense as well given the Tunnel's requirements (of the time) for degrees of redundancy with equipment, as well as the ability to split the train in the middle and drive both halves out separately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
It does indeed, because it is.

Everything on the 373s is in the power car essentially.

The "power car" is however spread across the leading vehicle with the cab, and the first passenger coach coupled to it — a design it shares with the early TGVs it is based on.

Railperf

Established Member
Does anyone know the power supply arrangement for Italian Railways ETR500. These are similar to TGV in that they have a 4,400kW power car at each end of the train. On certain lines I.E Diretissima - In DC mode, both power car pantographs are raised. On other DC lines, they seem to run on DC with only a single pantograph raised - and therefore single power car working - assuming the power supply is too fragile to cope with that sort of power draw. On lines with a 160km/h max speed, 4,400kW is enough - even if acceleration is 'sluggish'.
But on AC power, only one panto is raised - but there is no roof mounted distribution cable. So I'm assuming the there is a 25kV AC power cable running under the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.