• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMU preservation society launches website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It doesn't appear to be finished yet, I found a lot of broken links.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think there is a lot of point - it makes people aware of the project, and even if the site is not fully complete, it tells us basically about the project, which I have to say looks very interesting.

Jordy

Established Member
It looks a very interesting site, i'll have a proper look at it later on.

Jordy

TheSlash

Established Member
I am meeting with the chairman of EMUPS tomorrow and will pass on the positive comments of Laverack222 and Jordy, which i am sure will be well recieved

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Still a lot of broken links.....

Guys guys what am I happy that I was able to sit in a 421 in 2003 :lol:

My mission for next time visiting the UK (Probably April 2006)
- Alteast 1 picture of a CEP/VEP or whatever it looks like.

So if you know where I can spot one, or more in 2006...... please let me know. ;)

T

Tom

What about negative comments Steve?

RailUK was launched with no broken links, but they appear due to my mistakes.

A full site, with no broken links, is far better than one with broken links.

You may be missing vital information.

Dave A

Holland on Rail said:
Still a lot of broken links.....

Guys guys what am I happy that I was able to sit in a 421 in 2003 :lol:

My mission for next time visiting the UK (Probably April 2006)

So if you know where I can spot one, or more in 2006...... please let me know. ;)

:lol: Not gonna happen :( If you spot one, well, i don't know. I suppose you'll be very lucky, and I will envy you!! <D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd have thought they'd need to know about broken links, it's a web design no-no to launch a site with many broken links as people end up wasting time clicking lots of links that don't work and may give up.

laverack222 said:
I think there is a lot of point - it makes people aware of the project, and even if the site is not fully complete, it tells us basically about the project, which I have to say looks very interesting.
That can still be achieved. If the page isn't there, it's fine to list it but just remove the hyperlink. Then everyone's happy. :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
David (londontube) said:
Holland on Rail said:
..My mission for next time visiting the UK (Probably April 2006)

:lol: Not gonna happen :( If you spot one, well, i don't know. I suppose you'll be very lucky, and I will envy you!! <D
Sorry but you will have to go to a preserved line, and they will be hauled by a diesel loco.

If you're happy with a CIG, you could travel along the short Lymington branch.

There are also Thumpers, which are similar, but diesel, and can be found on preserved lines. Also, Chiltern uses a Class 121 slam door "bubble car" at peak times between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
yorkie said:
There are also Thumpers, which are similar, but diesel, and can be found on preserved lines. Also, Chiltern uses a Class 121 slam door "bubble car" at peak times between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough.

Not just at peak times, I've been on it as late as 11am - or 8pm.

T

Tom

The Lymington Branch will keep slammer service until 2013, well, that's when the HSE have it marked as until.

Coxster

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
The Lymington Branch will keep slammer service until 2013, well, that's when the HSE have it marked as until.
There are talks of extending the Romsey to Totton service to Lymington, after de-electrifiying the Lymington branch.

TheSlash

Established Member
Coxster said:
TheSlash said:
Just to let you know that the official EMUPS website is now online.
www.emups.org.uk
For those who don't know, EMUPS are the guys who bought SWT unit 1198.
Albert's group down Dartmoor?
Yeah.

To see a CEP in 2006, there is the East Kent railway, Dartmoor railway, Eden Valley railway and i think i've missed one?
There at CIGs at Dartmoor Railway, Dean Forest railway, Great Central and of course the modernised CIGs in use on the Lymington branch
Celebrity VEP 3417 Gordon Pettitt is still at Bournemouth depot and is currently being used as a dead load for Class 73 loco training

Coxster

Established Member
There is also a VEP at the Churnet Valley Railway (although I'm not sure if it is a full VEP, or just a driving coach).

T

Tom

...a bit pointless de-electrifying the Lymington branch!! They do up the line... and then it turns to DMU modern service.

Plus, the DfT requirements state that the Totton service is to be withdrawn to Eastleigh!!

TheSlash

Established Member
The Lymington line has suffered badly from power supply problems in recent years. This problem was made worse by restrictions on electrical pylons in the New Forest. Add to this the problems of the short platform at Lymington town, the line was under threat.
One solution looked at was de electrification and introducing a diesel shuttle, this would either cover the existing Lymington pier to Brockenhurst diagram, or be an extension of the Romsey to Totton DMU service. The latter required an additional 2 units where as the former required 1. Using a 2 coach Class 170 would also solve the problems of short platforms.
Then a brilliant plan was hatched.
By using a heavily modified 3 coach 421 CIG you could provide an unique service.
Firstly by removing the TSO, you reduced the strain on the motors, which would then require less power
The TSO removal also meant the unit now fitted comfortably into the shortest platform on the line, both practically and within HSE guidelines.
The heavy modernisation made the units more accessable to wheelchair bound customers
As for the exemption only lasting until 2013, i expect this is to give a large window of time for both SWT and heritage rail service operators to discuss a long term package with the related safety body to give MK1 vehicles a long lease of preserved life

insider

tubechallenger said:
What about negative comments Steve?

RailUK was launched with no broken links, but they appear due to my mistakes.

A full site, with no broken links, is far better than one with broken links.

You may be missing vital information.

My info on this is that the group dong the work is small, and prefers to spend as much time as possible either working on thier train or helping other groups. the website is thus not a major priority. It will get seen to AFAIK when time allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.