• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of Schönes Wochenende Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
The Quer-Durchs-Land ticket will be the replacement on weekends, but that does not allow use of U-Bahn or local trams or buses like the Schönes Wochenende Ticket.
Which means a lot of revenue sharing between DB and the transport authorities (of which Germany has a lot!). Doing away with the SWT means that DB will have some more revenue as those who use SWT regularly will switch to the QDL, which will still be a good value ticket.

Those traveling within a single Bundesländ will probably use a Länderticket as those are often more attractive than SWT/QDL anyway, and will remain valid.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Sales of the SWT have dropped with every price increase.
There does not seem to be a uniform rule on using QDL on buses and trams.
I guess the introduction of QDL and the Ländertickets, which in some cases allows cross border services, caused too much duplication .

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've used the SWT maybe twice, ever.

Although when you think about it, the revenue allocation for it must be a nightmare.

I've had one bloody good trip on it, starting in Frankfurt and doing a full circuit via Wuerzburg, Nuremberg, Munich, Lindau, Stuttgart and Mannheim.

Happy memories but honestly it's rare I'll need to do such a long trip.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I lived in Germany in 99-2000 I did loads of weekend trips, some very long distance, on a Wochenendticket. Got a bit expensive of late, though, so I would imagine far fewer are sold compared with Laender Tickets and Verbund tickets.

Groningen

Established Member
When it was cheap i often went to Basel and Salzburg (pulled by a 103 from München) on the first day and back to Frankfurt/Wuerzburg - Hannover - Bremen to Groningen on the second day. Remember that the price was first 7,50 euro for 2 days. Now more than 40 euro for 1 day.

433N

To be fair, I don't think it will make any difference to me whatsoever.

For me, the train restrictions pretty much limit the distance you can travel if you actually want to do something when you get to the other end. I am (and think I have always been), quite happy to use Laender tickets to explore my local environment. However, again, I would often struggle to do what I wanted given the train restrictions. For example, a Mannheim - Konstanz day trip on a Baden-Wuerttenburg Laender and RE, RB, IRE would be pretty tight.

Groningen

Established Member
You can get from Mannheim with change in Karlsruhe in 4 hours and 36 minutes with local trains. And back via Stuttgart for example.

AnkleBoots

Quer-Durchs-Land ticket ... does not allow use of U-Bahn or local trams or buses
This is terrible, it's not just about the cost of additional tickets, it's about having to work out the peculiarities of the zones in each Verkehrsverbund.

As Luxembourg moves towards entirely free transport, Germany moves the other way.

farci

This is terrible, it's not just about the cost of additional tickets, it's about having to work out the peculiarities of the zones in each Verkehrsverbund.

As Luxembourg moves towards entirely free transport, Germany moves the other way.
I agree it's retrograde, but is it fair to compare a small unitary area like Luxembourg (600,000 people) to a German Verkehrsverbund like Frankfurt metro area of 5.5 million?

duesselmartin

Established Member
I agree it's retrograde, but is it fair to compare a small unitary area like Luxembourg (600,000 people) to a German Verkehrsverbund like Frankfurt metro area of 5.5 million?
Luxembourg is an exeption.
I like to compare to Italy we're regional fares are a lot cheaper than in Germany.
Just travelled from Rome city centre to Ostia in the coast for €1.50.
In my home town of Duisburg that fare would be three bus/ tram stops!

Catracho

And now compare the state of Italy's finances/infrastructure/public & social services to those of Germany. Minus certain exceptions of course.

duesselmartin

Established Member
And now compare the state of Italy's finances/infrastructure/public & social services to those of Germany. Minus certain exceptions of course.
Germany's infrastructure is certainly also deterioating despite or because of austerity.
As to the cost of a ticket, 1.80 for 3 stops or 2.80 for a single city or €70 for a month is not an incentive to use public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.