• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of semaphores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidL

Interesting considering it is a block post, where would control go to ? St Helens or Huyton ? First I've heard about it.

Some relevant documents are here
http://wwta2.networkrail.co.uk/brow...West\NCG12011LNW504 Prescot&pageid=2889&root=

The docs say control is going to St Helens, which still has at least one semaphore standing on the remnants of the St Helens - Sutton line :)

However, I also read that St Helens and Huyton follow it into oblivion, along with many others 2 or 3 years later. However, this was on an unofficial spreadsheet posted on another forum.

Hope that's of some use
David

Established Member
I'm surprised that the Walsall to Rugeley line isn't getting much attention from photographers considering the short time the three boxes have left.
Called in at Hednesford and Brereton Sidings at the end of last month, Bloxwich will also be done at some stage before it closes. We have some interior shots from all three boxes and other long since closed ones in that area in our collection somewhere.

Also, here is Bloxwich when the sidings there used to see freight traffic.

SIGGY56

Having read through this thread, here are a few I think havent been mentioned:

In the West Midlands I know that Rugeley Town (Brereton Sidings SB) and Droitwich are all mechanical: I believe Hednesford is also mechanical while Lichfield TVJ still has mechanical points but colour light signals.

In North Wales, aside from Helsby Junction, there are, I believe, also mechanical signals at Ellesmere Port (in part? Phil Deaves records EP as once having had 5 boxes of which not all are closed), Rhyl, Abergele, Llanwrst, Llanfair PG, Gaerwen, Ty Croes, Valley and Holyhead. I know that the NWCL - of which Llanwrst is not part - has other boxes (Talacre, Llanfairpwl and Mostyn Dock Jcn to name but three) but how many of them are mechanical I am not sure.

I hope to go doing photos on the NWCL when I get a chance.

Dave

North Wales Coast signalboxes as follows :-

Rockcliffe Hall - Small panel located in portakabins mounted on top of each other.
Holywell Junction - 54 lever frame controlling a mix of semaphores, two colour light distant signals, mechanical and clamp lock work points (although there are redundant sidings clipped out of use as well)
Mostyn - 40 lever frame, Controls mechanical signals and points. Box now opens as required.
Talacre - 24 lever frame. Controls a mix of semaphore and colour light signals. Mechanical points (connections to the former Point of Ayr Colliery all out of use)
Prestatyn - 45 levers. Controls signals only. Up distant signal is still mechanically worked.
Rhyl(former Rhyl No1) - 90 levers. Controls a mix of semaphores and colour light signals, mechanical points and clamp lock points.
Abergele - 60 levers. Semaphore signals, 2 colour light distant signals and mechanical points.
Llandudno Junction - NX Panel. All colour lights and power operated points.
Deganwy (former No2 box) : 18 levers. A mixture of colour lights and semaphores. Controls 2 level crossings.
Llandudno (former No2 box) : 34 levers (reduced from 86 in 1978). Semaphore signals and mechanical points except from one clamp lock operated.
Llanrwst - 20 levers, only 4 levers in use controlling signals each way. points are train operated.
Penmaenmawr - 25 levers. All colour lights and clamp lock worked points.
Bangor (ex-No2) - 60 levers (reduced from 90 in 1972). Controls colour light main signals, mechanical shunt signals and a mix of mechanical, clamp lock and motor worked points.
Llanfair PG - 4 levers (reduced from 18 in 1974). Controls the level crossing only. Signals protecting are worked from Bangor. (Crossing box ONLY)Gaerwen (ex-No1) - 20 levers. Mainly mechanical apart from the distant signals each way and a level crossing.
Ty Croes - 6 levers (Reduced from 18 in 1993). Controls the level crossing protected by semaphore signals. (Crossing box ONLY)

Valley - 25 levers. A mix of semaphores and colour lights, clamp locks points and level crossing.

Holyhead - 115 levers (1 - 15 removed). Mechanical semaphores and shunt signals and clamp lock worked points.

Status
Not open for further replies.