• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Endeavour Sunday 18 February 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0033944

I've just seen the first 15 minutes of tonight's epiode of Endeavour (the Morse prequel) which contsined a scene obviously shot on a preserved line (Southern Region I think given the station paint scheme). Last series was set in 1967, ending in the autumn, so this series is, I suspect, set either in autumn '67 or spring '68. Initially, the railway-based scenes were at least period- if not Regionally-correct - a Rail Blue class 33 on bauxite XP-rated vans and a bauxite guard's vehicle which appeared to be a BR standard type, however, a subsequent night-time station scene showing the front of what I think was a BR Standard 3 or 4 pulling into the station was rather disappointing. It had to be a passenger service for plot reasons, but surely a green Met-Camm unit or similar could have been used?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The open station scenes were on the mid-Hants while the closed station is Quainton Road. I was a bit disappointed not to see a class 205 !

w0033944

Apparently, this series is set in Spring '68, so it doesn't matter whether the station is supposed to be in WR or SR; there shouldn't be any steam!:rolleyes:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I suppose its not too long after the 1967 Bournemouth line electrification scheme displaced steam from the Southern.

w0033944

Yes, you would have thought so. But then again, they did film it on the mid-Hants !
Indeed, and I'm not expecting the locos and stock to be correct for the area, but, given that the remaining main line steam in spring '68 was based around 200 miles from where the series is set, it would be reasonable to assume that suitable non-steam equipment could have been used, if available.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed, and I'm not expecting the locos and stock to be correct for the area, but, given that the remaining main line steam in spring '68 was based around 200 miles from where the series is set, it would be reasonable to assume that suitable non-steam equipment could have been used, if available.

Yes, the mid-Hants looked a bit well kept (and not corporate enough) for 1968 BR !

MarlowDonkey

The model railway had a Western in it. Were there any convincing 00 models in 1968?

Bevan Price

Established Member
I suppose its not too long after the 1967 Bournemouth line electrification scheme displaced steam from the Southern.

Wouldn't a series set in the Oxford/Abingdon area be on the Western Region, though?

Yes, and there was no booked steam anywhere near Oxford in 1968. But the show is made for general viewers not just rail enthusiasts, and most of the audience would not know - or care - if the rail scenes were historically accurate.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Tonight's episode was set in late May and early June 1968; at the end of it the radio announced the assassination of Robert Kennedy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I noticed that - surely the scriptwriters could have had more imagination than that?!?

I think the writers have quite a sense of humour. I'm sure they were parodying the swimming pool sketch from 90's comedy "The Day Today" a few series back !

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Twitter comment suggests that a couple of the staff in the motel had the same name as Crossroads characters as well, plus there was a reference to yet another thing.

Oh, and a posthumous cameo by Colin Dexter, who appeared as "employee of the month - signalman Dexter" on a notice next to the booking office window. Will have to watch the first two again to see if they've pulled a similar stunt in those...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
An authentic looking 47 at the end. A very enjoyable episode.

Was good - often is - the attention to period detail is excellent - even down to cigarette and biscuit packets. The Crossroads reference was superb. (though probably only noted by anyone over the age of 50)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Twitter comment suggests that a couple of the staff in the motel had the same name as Crossroads characters as well, plus there was a reference to yet another thing.

Oh, and a posthumous cameo by Colin Dexter, who appeared as "employee of the month - signalman Dexter" on a notice next to the booking office window. Will have to watch the first two again to see if they've pulled a similar stunt in those...

Ah yes, nice to see Colin Dexter still putting in an appearance, albeit posthumously

DuncanS

I think the receptionist was supposed to be Jill Mortimer (as she was then, later Jill Chance) and the cleaner was referenced as "Mrs T" who could be no one else but the legendary Amy Turtle.

harz99

Was good - often is - the attention to period detail is excellent - even down to cigarette and biscuit packets. The Crossroads reference was superb. (though probably only noted by anyone over the age of 50)
One thing they did miss was the shiny well polished rails on the supposedly long closed and disused track that Morse walked along.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think the receptionist was supposed to be Jill Mortimer (as she was then, later Jill Chance) and the cleaner was referenced as "Mrs T" who could be no one else but the legendary Amy Turtle.

I'll have to take people's word for that as I never watched Crossroads myself...

PeterC

Established Member
I missed it but it doesn't sound too bad in terms of anachronisms. Nothing as glaring as some that I have seen like a BR lion rampant logo in the 1890s.

The Crab

I assume that the railway scenes were shot on a preserved line. Anyone know which one?

ilkestonian

I noticed at least one of the smokebox numberplates in the loft with the model railway was a ficticious number :D

As for authenticity of the railway elements, I did what I always do. I simply enjoyed the superb story and didn't let pedantry get in the way of that.

The surreal inclusion of the Crossroads Motel was the icing on the cake. Brilliant scriptwriting and staging on several levels :D

Status
Not open for further replies.