• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ending a journey early on MegabusPlus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I wouldn't advise anyone from stopping short on advance tickets in case there is an unannounced revenue block at stations, as Northern are increasingly doing. Naming stations where it is common will only lead to someone finding out and putting that station on the list for a revenue block.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You are handed the ticket as you get off the coach and told that if you don't have it when checked on the train at St Pancras you'll have to pay full fare for the journey.

Sure, but the argument is that you could bin it and the staff on the rail leg wouldn't be able to do anything about it as there's no requirement to show it. Not that I would try doing that (unless I had good reason to be trolling the company in question).

Skymonster

Established Member
I wouldn't advise anyone from stopping short on advance tickets in case there is an unannounced revenue block at stations, as Northern are increasingly doing. Naming stations where it is common will only lead to someone finding out and putting that station on the list for a revenue block.

But in the case of MegabusPlus at East Midlands Parkway, when you get off the train you have to walk out of the station building to get onto the bus to continue north. Any MegabusPlus passenger is acting perfectly legitimately by leaving the platform and progressing to the kerbside bus stops. Revenue Protection on the station platform or at the exit door to the building would find nothing untowards. If the passenger then heads towards the bus but just happens not to get onto the bus, in reality I'd have thought there's not much anyone could do.

Andy

Established Member
But in the case of MegabusPlus at East Midlands Parkway, when you get off the train you have to walk out of the station building to get onto the bus to continue north. Any MegabusPlus passenger is acting perfectly legitimately by leaving the platform and progressing to the kerbside bus stops. Revenue Protection on the station platform or at the exit door to the building would find nothing untowards. If the passenger then heads towards the bus but just happens not to get onto the bus, in reality I'd have thought there's not much anyone could do.

Andy

Talking about advances in general - there was a thread recently where someone admitted that they were going to stop short and therefore go against the ticket's T+Cs.

cuccir

Established Member
In practice, there are lots of cases where stopping/starting short is either common or being caught would be very difficult, particularly if people stop short at an interchange station where they switch immediately onto another ticket.

My dad has been starting/stopping short on Advances for years, as he lives between two stations, one with Advance fares and the other slightly closer with slightly fewer services stopping and no Advances. Clearly, local guards aren't bothered about it as he does this at least once a month and, particularly where starting short, they must be aware of people doing it.

But I'd never recommend it to someone unless I was sure that they were fully aware of the possible consequences.

Established Member
Think we all know it happens, but if TOCs start to hear about it, there will be more effort to stop people from doing it, even if it means revenue blocks on each platform.

Statto

Established Member
In practice, there are lots of cases where stopping/starting short is either common or being caught would be very difficult, particularly if people stop short at an interchange station where they switch immediately onto another ticket.

My dad has been starting/stopping short on Advances for years, as he lives between two stations, one with Advance fares and the other slightly closer with slightly fewer services stopping and no Advances. Clearly, local guards aren't bothered about it as he does this at least once a month and, particularly where starting short, they must be aware of people doing it.

But I'd never recommend it to someone unless I was sure that they were fully aware of the possible consequences.

Indeed, remember a whlist ago reading someone complaining in the Media they got PFed, for using MegaTrain ticket[think it was SWT], but got off short of the destination on the ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed, remember a whlist ago reading someone complaining in the Media they got PFed, for using MegaTrain ticket[think it was SWT], but got off short of the destination on the ticket.
Yes, the infamous Eastleigh incident. If that is going to be mentioned, it's only right that it is also mentioned that the PF was successfully appealed.

It was stated at the time by the experts on here that the correct action would have been to charge an excess (as per NRCoC) and that Penalty Fare legislation does not appear to allow for a PF to be charged in these circumstances.

It's been covered numerous times before on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.