• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enforcement of face covering requirement - BTP statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Statistics obtained under freedom of information legislation showed that during a period in July almost 17,000 passengers per week were “spoken to” by BTP for failing to wear a valid face covering with just under 1,000 a week required to leave the network. However on average just 19 fixed penalty tickets were issued per week.

The usual rent-a-quotes point out that there is no resourcing, the legislation is difficult to enforce, too many loopholes etc.

(source: rolling TV news this morning; I’m sure anyone particularly interested can find more in their favourite medium of choice)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Statistics obtained under freedom of information legislation showed that during a period in July almost 17,000 passengers per week were “spoken to” by BTP for failing to wear a valid face covering with just under 1,000 a week required to leave the network. However on average just 19 fixed penalty tickets were issued per week.

The usual rent-a-quotes point out that there is no resourcing, the legislation is difficult to enforce, too many loopholes etc.

(source: rolling TV news this morning; I’m sure anyone particularly interested can find more in their favourite medium of choice)
I’d be interested to know how BTP were certain the people they fined/told to leave were not covered by an exemption.

pdeaves

Established Member
I’d be interested to know how BTP were certain the people they fined/told to leave were not covered by an exemption.
My hunch would be primarily the 'attitude test' whilst being spoken to. It's probably not difficult for someone with police training, applied properly, to establish quickly whether someone is legitimate or not.

BRX

Established Member
My hunch would be primarily the 'attitude test' whilst being spoken to. It's probably not difficult for someone with police training, applied properly, to establish quickly whether someone is legitimate or not.
Whether what they "establish" has much connection with reality is a different matter.

MikeWM

Established Member
Statistics obtained under freedom of information legislation showed that during a period in July almost 17,000 passengers per week were “spoken to” by BTP for failing to wear a valid face covering with just under 1,000 a week required to leave the network.

...so about a 20:1 ratio - of people being hassled unnecessarily by the BTP when they presumably had a legitimate exemption, over those who (apparently) did not.

Sounds like an excellent use of time and resources :rolleyes:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
...so about a 20:1 ratio - of people being hassled unnecessarily by the BTP when they presumably had a legitimate exemption, over those who (apparently) did not.

I'm not sure that you can draw that conclusion from the data available? We have no idea what the nature of the conversations that took place with the 17,000 people were. It could be just as likely that plenty of them didn't have an exemption but were reasonable when spoken to and didn't kick off. The 1,000 that were asked to leave probably behaved unreasonably in response to the BTP speaking to them and so were shown the door.

MikeWM

Established Member
We have no idea what the nature of the conversations that took place with the 17,000 people were. It could be just as likely that plenty of them didn't have an exemption but were reasonable when spoken to and didn't kick off.

Yes, that's probably true. And without knowing how many people they *didn't* talk to (if that makes sense!) I suppose it is hard to put into perspective.

island

Veteran Member

Sounds like an excellent use of time and resources :rolleyes:
I imagine many of those interactions were of the nature of “excuse me, have you forgotten to put on your face covering?” “oh yes, sorry” pulls out mask, puts it on, and carries on “thank you”

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I imagine many of those interactions were of the nature of “excuse me, have you forgotten to put on your face covering?” “oh yes, sorry” pulls out mask, puts it on, and carries on “thank you”
Gets on the train where there’s no longer any police: takes off

AdamWW

Established Member

Or indeed telling someone without one to pull out that next time they should bring one, rather than just trying to fine everyone who genuinely appears to have forgotten/not paid attention to the rules etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.