• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enforcement of the new rules on social distancing, unnecessary journeys etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe U am just more self contained. I am quite happy and have loads to amuse me.
I am aware of many young people who are far from happy right now; everyone is different

If anyone has anything to say about the enforcement of the rules, please do.

But if it's just going to be discussing the guidelines/rules then there isn't much point in having two threads on the same subject ;) The thread for that is Government advice discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MDB1images

This is a deadly virus which is spreading like nothing seen in our lifetime.
The main advice is to stay at home, it's being repeated by many of the Doctors &Nurses who know they will die over the coming months trying to save lives.

If you don't want to stay at home because the Government told you or don't do it because the Police ask you then PLEASE do it because the Nurses are pleading with you to do so.
Stay at home and stop the spread.

farleigh

I don't mind them asking but they need to accept appropriate/plausible answers and cannot demand ID.

Normally I would get:
  • 60 minutes of cycling per week (minimum - if I only go to work or the station each weekday)
  • 100 to 180 minutes of vigorous intensity, playing football, per week (depending on how often I play football)
  • 60 to 180 minutes of light activity involving football but not playing it competitively; ie. I will be walking or jogging around the pitch and not running at high intensity as it's not competitive for me.
  • A reasonable amount of walking in the course of a normal working day as some of the jobs I do involve a fair amount of walking
  • In addition to this I occasionally go for longer walks or cycle rides, sometimes with forum members
I am therefore going to do a suitable amount of exercise, as I see fit, to replace that. The fact that some people don't want me to do this will make me want to do it even more; I know you like saying "I am not going to change my mind" but guess what? I am not going to change my mind :D The fact I know you won't change your mind isn't my loss; it's yours!

I know I am right to do it and many people I know agree with me.

The idea that the figures you provide above are enough to remain what I would consider suitably active healthy are not figures I accept. They will be the bare minimum and not something to aspire to!
Good post

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am having loads of fun. Thanks.

Oddly I'm being more sociable (virtually, obviously)[1] and doing more exercise than normal. And eating healthier, too, because there's no Maccys and no chippy and I don't want to go to the purgatory experience that a supermarket presently is so am economising to eke out more time from what I've got :)

[1] Spent the evening with friends from uni (online) who I normally see about twice a year. Really enjoyed it. Were it not for COVID19 I wouldn't have seen them until September. Silver linings and all that...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For completeness I am at the other end of the same town and we don't have much open space. The best would be Caldicotte Lake but access on foot form here is not great and meeting someone on the pathways there would not allow for social distancing. The canal towpath is out for the same reason. Leon Rec is very busy at the best of times so i give that a miss. Instead I have just been walking a 40 minutes loop around the local area. Not great but such is life at present.

Assuming you're still in Fenny I'd go via the road towards Simpson (over the level crossing) then there's a path up from that road to the H10 redway (Redway spec is 2m wide so all of them should be wide enough) then Caldecotte Lake is your oyster. That linking path may or may not be 2m wide (I forget) but it is not well known so I would be surprised to see a single other person on it.

AndrewE

Established Member
Just saw NW (England) news report of people arrested for "shopping for unnecessary items!"
Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where a policeman was being grilled for making stupid arrests - like "walking along the road with an ugly woman!"

AM9

Veteran Member
So the latest announcement is that the current Quarantine might be maintained until September or beyond:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52084517
It could be six months before life in the UK returns to "normal", England's deputy chief medical officer has said.

Speaking at the government's daily coronavirus briefing, Dr Jenny Harries added: "This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."

But, she continued, the UK had to be "responsible" in its actions and reduce social distancing measures "gradually".
That means that much of the restrictions on unnecessary journeys and driving to tourist hotspots under the premise of 'taking exercise' will need greater enforcement as the weather improves through spring and into summer. One practical way to reduce or even prevent those selfish drivers parking in national parks such as the lake district or peak district would be to close all car parks at those popular locations.

trainophile

Established Member
Just saw NW (England) news report of people arrested for "shopping for unnecessary items!"
Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where a policeman was being grilled for making stupid arrests - like "walking along the road with an ugly woman!"

So is there a list of necessary/unnecessary items now?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So the latest announcement is that the current Quarantine might be maintained until September or beyond:

That means that much of the restrictions on unnecessary journeys and driving to tourist hotspots under the premise of 'taking exercise' will need greater enforcement as the weather improves through spring and into summer. One practical way to reduce or even prevent those selfish drivers parking in national parks such as the lake district or peak district would be to close all car parks at those popular locations.

If I'm not allowed to catch the train for six months, it's effectively "total lockdown" for me anyway.

AndrewE

Established Member
I doubt it. But it just reinforces the worries expressed here by me and others about "little Hitlers" making up and enforcing their own rules - and getting even more authoritian and irate if anyone argues with them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It specifically says that we would not be in lockdown for 6 months but that some measures may be required for 6 months.

There is no way the current measures could be enforced for 6 months; it would be a case of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" ; the current measures are causing misery and stress for many people who are going to be in a far worse position to fight the virus than if they had been fit, healthy and happy.

There has to be a limit and the younger generation and the fit & healthy cannot be completely sacrificed; there has to be a compromise that takes mental health concerns into account.
My understanding is that it would be shopping for "luxury" items that would be prohibited.

nedchester

Established Member
Reading some of guidelines on exercising by some on here are bewildering.

I normally cycle 50 miles per week (usually a one hour lunch session a few days a week). I today cycled 17.5 miles (took about 90 mins) and passed very few people on my ride (it was mostly a rural ride near my home). I reckon that if I'd gone for a 30 minute walk near my home I'd have been at greater risk of being within 2 metres of another human being. Cycling is definitely safer and good for the immune system and cardiovascular system (which would help in the event of infection).

I do find some are making up what they think are the rules (1 hour max for example).

And just to hit the jackpot of self-righteous indignation that I've seen on social media, what if I stop for a break on a railway bridge and take a photo of a train.

I got some adverse comment for stopping my bike ride for 5 mins last Sunday and taking a picture of a 56 on an infrastructure train with my mobile.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
It's amazing how many daily mail readers don't read the legislation.

The law states that there is no time limit on the length of time during their permitted outdoor exercise one can undertake during the current restrictions are in place.

So for example if someone who normally does a 10k run wanted to do one, they can do it looking at the legislation

ENGLISH Legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made
WELSH Legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/353/regulation/8/made
SCOTTISH Legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/103/part/4/made

In fact, the English legislation does not even prohibit one going outside for more than one form of exercise looking at it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's still subjective though.
Maybe in some cases, but I'd hope and presume that leniency would be shown where it is subjective.
... I today cycled 17.5 miles (took about 90 mins) and passed very few people on my ride (it was mostly a rural ride near my home). I reckon that if I'd gone for a 30 minute walk near my home I'd have been at greater risk of being within 2 metres of another human being. Cycling is definitely safer and good for the immune system and cardiovascular system (which would help in the event of infection).

I do find some are making up what they think are the rules (1 hour max for example)....
I saw @Bletchleyite propose this (it was just an idea) and then a couple of people seemed to repeat it as if it was a rule (this does demonstrate the potential dangers of people posting ideas for restrictions in a thread about actual restrictions; some people pick up parts of post and think it's real!)

I have ensured that all my walks have been greater than an hour; my longest was closer to four hours!

farleigh

Heard the police are now dyeing lakes black to stop people visiting. What could possibly go wrong?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are retailers such as M&S that serve other stuff e.g. clothes as well as food, prohibited from selling the other stuff?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Heard the police are now dying lakes black to stop people visiting. What could possibly go wrong?
I thought that we had established that this referred to a specific well-known 'flooded quarry' near Buxton that has often unusually 'blue' water because of toxic chemical leeching from old mining spoil.

A very long-running local issue.

Darandio

Established Member
I thought that we had established that this referred to a specific well-known 'flooded quarry' near Buxton that has often unusually 'blue' water because of toxic chemical leeching from old mining spoil.

A very long-running local issue.

Indeed. Often dyed to discourage people from wanting to take a dip!

nedchester

Established Member

The law states that there is no time limit on the length of time during their permitted outdoor exercise one can undertake during the current restrictions are in place.

So for example if someone who normally does a 10k run wanted to do one, they can do it looking at the legislation

ENGLISH Legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

In fact, the English legislation does not even prohibit one going outside for more than one form of exercise looking at it.

That's interesting especially as I live only a couple of miles from the Welsh border. Just one bike ride a day into Wales then! (I don't go out on the bike more than once anyhow!)

AndrewE

Established Member

I think you mean "the law does not stipulate a time limit," rather than "states that there is no time limit ." Similar words, different meanings...

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Without wishing to be pedantic, I think that's actually Not The Nine O'Clock News rather than Python and the charge was "walking around with an offensive wife". Here's a link to the infamous "Constable Savage" sketch.

Trackman

Established Member
Well, around here (I'm stuck up North) it seems people are now adhering to the rules.
Cops are stopping people on the motorway (M61) and the Police helicopter has been checking large parks/playing fields etc.
I think it's really sinking into people now.. thank gawd.
Before it seemed people thought it was a like big holiday as described in the media.

AndrewE

Established Member
I wonder what they are using...

More worryingly is the effect on freshwater plants and organic matter including fish, water birds and wildlife who drink from these lakes
It's a vertical sided pit, full of caustic water (lime processing waste) so I doubt there is much, if any, life in, it.

tsr

Established Member
It's a vertical sided pit, full of caustic water (lime processing waste) so I doubt there is much, if any, life in, it.

Sounds like the sort of delightful place which has no grounds to have the public anywhere near it. The police are probably doing no worse than manufacturers who make shower gel and cleaning products taste deliberately nasty to avoid kids drinking them.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Without wishing to be pedantic, I think that's actually Not The Nine O'Clock News rather than Python and the charge was "walking around with an offensive wife". Here's a link to the infamous "Constable Savage" sketch.

One of the charges was for ‘Coughing without due care and attention’... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.