• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engelbert Humperdinck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
For Eurovision :D:D:D:p

Never saw that one coming.....

Do you think it's an early April fool. Mind you it could have been Cliff Richard.
They will be bringing back Katie Boyle next, (and that is really showing my age!)

ushawk

Established Member
So he will be up against Jedward basically - we wont ever win it again anyway so ive no idea why we bother entering.

WestCoast

Established Member
Eurovision gets stranger every year. I think the only year where the UK actually did reasonably well recently was when Andrew Lloyd Webber was responsible for the act and song.

Pete Waterman's act/song was a disaster.

ACE1888

He's only 75, give him a chance:lol:
The only reason we watched it in the 70/80's was to see the voting, and to hear Terry Wogan taking the pi** out of anyone and everything:D

Darandio

Established Member
It's actually a masterstroke. He is still highly regarded in many Eastern European countries where some of the strangest voting takes place.

richw

Veteran Member
He's highly popular in Belgium along with many eastern European countries where he has been much more successful. Maybe not such a bad entrant after all

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

deltic1989

Established Member
IMHO It won't matter who we enter into the Eurovision song contest, as the voting is never done by how good the songs are, its all political nowadays cast your minds back if you will to 2003, the year that Britain openly decalred support for the American invasion of Iraq "Nul Points", and the act that we entered whilst it wasn't brilliant it wasnt as bad as the Irish.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
So he will be up against Jedward basically - we wont ever win it again anyway so ive no idea why we bother entering.

Presumably we are nly entering for a laugh!

Eurovision gets stranger every year. I think the only year where the UK actually did reasonably well recently was when Andrew Lloyd Webber was responsible for the act and song.

Pete Waterman's act/song was a disaster.

Pete's finger has long left the pulse it wa son in the 1980's. He is pretty past it musically now.

Some of the acts we see every year are just bizarre. The Uk entry might fall into that category this year!

It's actually a masterstroke. He is still highly regarded in many Eastern European countries where some of the strangest voting takes place.

Indeed, what we may see as bizarre might go down well in otehr parts of the continent!

IMHO It won't matter who we enter into the Eurovision song contest, as the voting is never done by how good the songs are, its all political nowadays cast your minds back if you will to 2003, the year that Britain openly decalred support for the American invasion of Iraq "Nul Points", and the act that we entered whilst it wasn't brilliant it wasnt as bad as the Irish.

I think you are right about 2003, but in the last couple of years the political motive has lessened again. Of course, you will always have an element of neighbouring countries voting for each other because it is more likely that they will share the musical tastes of the region.

WestCoast

Established Member
I think you are right about 2003, but in the last couple of years the political motive has lessened again. Of course, you will always have an element of neighbouring countries voting for each other because it is more likely that they will share the musical tastes of the region.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't it change recently so that each country split the vote between a judging panel and a public vote?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't it change recently so that each country split the vote between a judging panel and a public vote?

I'm not sure, but I think you are right. Mrs Greenback is far more interested in Eurovision than I am!

Prometheus

Still a bit peeved that we're still worried about who's doing it when it's a song contest.

Perhaps the idea is to make sure that we lose so the BBC doesn't risk having to pay to stage the 2013 contest. There's a recession on, you know!

Crimson_Quiff

The ONLY time I actually paid attention to this politically-driven garb was in 2006 when Lordi played and won! Fair do's, probably for the wrong reasons but I still revelled in it!

EM2

Established Member
For those of a certain age, have a look at this tweet from David Gedge of The Wedding Present:
@northover72 if someone offered you a million to be the UK's Eurovision 2013 entrant would you do it?
DLG : They wouldn't need to pay me.
Gedge For Eurovision!

LE Greys

Established Member
My answer to that would be,
"Yes, provided the phone networks in the whole of Europe were down and there was a power cut in the studio."
Let's see if any of them can sing without sound systems. <D

CC 72100

Established Member
Sweden or Malta to win for me. I think those Russian grannies will be popular mind

WestCoast

Established Member
Apparently the Russian grannies are younger than Engelbert and they would spend the winning money on rebuilding a church in their village!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Apparently the Russian grannies are younger than Engelbert and they would spend the winning money on rebuilding a church in their village!

Do you mean that their combined ages are still less than Englebert? :lol:

Fair play, though, he did well for an old man!

My favourites were Italy, Ireland (I hate myself) and France.

WestCoast

Established Member
I think the funniest thing of the whole night was that the woman announcing the results from Sweden had a full on Essex accent and couldn't pronounce Azerbaijan! :lol:

Oh, and Germany's sneaky dig at the host country with "it's nice to have a choice"!

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think the funniest thing of the whole night was that the woman announcing the results from Sweden had a full on Essex accent and couldn't pronounce Azerbaijan! :lol:

That was both awesome and strange! Definitely the funniest thing in a show that was largely devoid of laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.