• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineering train derailment at Winsford

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.M_DannyC

Just got this from the National Rail website via the Virgin Trains twitter account:

"An engineering train has derailed at Winsford.
Because of this, trains are currently unable to run between Preston / Liverpool Lime Street and Crewe. This will continue until further notice.
No details are currently available regarding alternative travel arrangements. Please check back later."

Hope it isn't to bad of a derailment (if that's possible) as its going to cause havoc for Liverpool fans trying to get to the Carling Cup final later today :(

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Thankfully I'm going to be travelling in the opposite direction.
If they don't manage to lay on coaches I wonder if I'll be permitted to travel via Manchester.

Travellers to Wembley are being urged to drive to CRE/SOT/STA

Miken

Thankfully I'm going to be travelling in the opposite direction.
If they don't manage to lay on coaches I wonder if I'll be permitted to travel via Manchester.

Travellers to Wembley are being urged to drive to CRE/SOT/STA

Yes - on the NR Website tickets are being accepted on Northern Rail, TPE and Virgin in and out of Manchester.

The line is being reported as "closed until further notice" so I'm concerned about travelling (to work) tomorrow - I'm on the 0545 Wigan-Euston and NR Enqs put me through to a bloke in India. He was not briefed on the derailment, clearly didn't understand the significance of a derailment/line closure at Winsford so whilst he was polite was worse than useless in being able to tell me with any confidence if travel was going to be possible. Is there anyone in the know about the extent of the damage? Thanks....

plannerman

The advice on Radio 5 has been as above - however Merseyrail have just sent a tweet (possibly accidentally - it looks like a staff communication) that the 0954 special from Liverpool South Parkway is back on. This goes against everyone else's advice, and the message seems to have disappeared again from the Merseyrail website

AntoniC

I`m now glad I am not going to the Cup Final to watch my LFC play this afternoon !

(I didnt qualify for a ticket & couldnt afford one !).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
0900 Preston-Euston showing Cancelled on NRE to Crewe, then On Time to Euston - except at Watford Jn where it is forecast to be 461 minutes late!

83G/84D

Established Member
The advice on Radio 5 has been as above - however Merseyrail have just sent a tweet (possibly accidentally - it looks like a staff communication) that the 0954 special from Liverpool South Parkway is back on. This goes against everyone else's advice, and the message seems to have disappeared again from the Merseyrail website

There is such a train shown on TRUST (1Z24) but no stock is allocated.

calc7

Established Member
Instead of the 0815 to LIV, which was showing as terminating at Crewe on the Euston departure board, I am on the 0810 to MAN.

Is the best advice to continue on this to MAN and change for TransPennine or will I have better options from Crewe? (arriving there circa 1019)

Schnellzug

Established Member
Do you think that the rail "industry" is secretly subsidised by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders? Every single day, virtually, there's some fiasco or other, and the only advice that the Rail "Industry" can ever offer is to drive, or to lay on Coaches.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Instead of the 0815 to LIV, which was showing as terminating at Crewe on the Euston departure board, I am on the 0810 to MAN.

Is the best advice to continue on this to MAN and change for TransPennine or will I have better options from Crewe? (arriving there circa 1019)

Stay on to MAN arr 1055 and then get 1107 TP to LIV arr 1159.

Changing at Crewe (1042 VT to HHD), and at Chester (1130 Merseyrail to LIV) gets you there at 1213, mainly because you have nearly half an hour to wait at Chester.

Note the Chat Moss route is closed this weekend for electrification works, so all MAN-LIV trains go via the CLC route (Warrington Central).

calc7

Established Member
Stay on to MAN arr 1055 and then get 1107 TP to LIV arr 1159.

Changing at Crewe (1042 VT to HHD), and at Chester (1130 Merseyrail to LIV) gets you there at 1213, mainly because you have nearly half an hour to wait at Chester.

Note the Chat Moss route is closed this weekend for electrification works, so all MAN-LIV trains go via the CLC route (Warrington Central).

Thanks mate - that's what I was guessing.
No chance of a quicker journey via rail replacement buses?

First class

Established Member
Merseyrail Electrics are running a special 15 min service to/from Chester UFN to cater for travelling fans.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thanks mate - that's what I was guessing.
No chance of a quicker journey via rail replacement buses?

I can only find reference to a bus between Runcorn and Crewe (and no timetable).
Best stick to the train I think.
With a 15-min service at Chester you would get to LIV by 1158 that way.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Do you think that the rail "industry" is secretly subsidised by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders? Every single day, virtually, there's some fiasco or other, and the only advice that the Rail "Industry" can ever offer is to drive, or to lay on Coaches.

Probably. But today the assumption must be Cardiff fans have been up to no good ;)

Thanks for that, but Merseyrail had not mentioned any 15 min service on their site.

No, I couldn't find any mention of Merseyrail services either... and looks like the ATW services (Chester-Crewe) are up the wall too now.

Jonesy

Any idea where about in the Winsford area and the cause of the derailment yet?

Hi Paul,

The train that has derailed is the HOBC (with a class 70 on each end). It has occured just to the North of Winsford station. The leading 70 (70011) has uncoupled (with about 10 wagons ) from the rest of the train and can be seen from Winsford station, or alternatively from Wharton Gardens. The rest of the train, including the derailed wagon, can be clearly seen from the A5018 heading towards Northwich (I've already been myself this morning to have a look). The track does not look too badly damaged, although I am no expert on how long it will take to repair. One thing I thought amusing was (because the track circuit is occupied) the platform screen at Winsford heading southbound was showing "stand clear - fast train approaching!". Hope this helps.

Jonesy

mullin

Live departure board for Wigan shows a Virgin train about to leave Crewe, calling at Chester, Warrington Bank, Wigan and Preston. Tad unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies.