• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineering work on ECML, every weekend from 10/11 to 2/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just looking at journeys ahead of time for travelling on the ECML on December 1st and noticed +60 min journey times. Looks like there's some engineering work going on between Peterborough and Doncaster every Saturday & Sunday from the 10th November to 2nd December.

All National Rail & LNER sites says is:

Engineering work is taking place between Doncaster and Peterborough, closing various lines.

Trains will be diverted via Lincoln Central, extending journey times by up to 60 minutes.
Anyone know anymore about the exact nature of the engineering works?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Start of Werrington grade separation works is likely
Seems likely (or should that be possible?) - NR did announce something about the work on Werrington starting in ‘late summer’. That probably translates to mid November on the rail calendar... :D

Stampy

Pain in the backside, that is.....

Planning to go to Lincoln on 10th November from Peterborough.

Can get up to Lincoln ok, but coming back is a different story!!!

After 5pm, the 1st train i can catch back is the 1903, and i have to go Lincoln - Sleaford - Grantham, and then get the RRB, arriving back in Peterborough at just after 10pm!!!

Quicker to drive!!!

Aictos

Established Member
Moving Peterborough PSB into York ROC??

Isn't that supposed to be happening around now?

Not just yet!

The plan was the following:

Kings Cross-Hitchin to close in 2018
Kings Cross PSB to close, area to be controlled by LNE Regional Operations Centre at York.
Bounds Green North and South shunting boxes to close 2018.

Peterborough to close in 2019
Peterborough PSB and Eastfield signal box to close, along with Helpston gate box (former signal box), area to be controlled by LNE Regional Operations Centre at York.

So not just yet as to resignalling however I've been led to believe by reading a NR release that the former Peterborough PSB area will be done first THEN the former Kings Cross PSB area but hey ho.

All I do know is Peterborough isn't closing anytime soon but it's days are numbered which is a great pity.

eastdyke

Established Member
Seems likely (or should that be possible?) - NR did announce something about the work on Werrington starting in ‘late summer’. That probably translates to mid November on the rail calendar... :D
Morgan Sindall are the main contractor and have been working for a number of weeks.
I noted clearance works as well as a possession of the Joint Line when I passed on the ECML on Sunday.
Werrington has started and is due to complete in 2021. :cake:

Class 170101

Established Member
Leeds area (York IECC) is being re-controlled to York ROC this Christmas apparently so I doubt there would be resources for Peterborough and / or Kings Cross to be re-controlled as well.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Let's hope it is slightly better organised than last winter, when a trainload of passengers were dumped on a locked-up station...

SC43090

Was just looking at journeys ahead of time for travelling on the ECML on December 1st and noticed +60 min journey times. Looks like there's some engineering work going on between Peterborough and Doncaster every Saturday & Sunday from the 10th November to 2nd December.

All National Rail & LNER sites says is:

Engineering work is taking place between Doncaster and Peterborough, closing various lines.

Trains will be diverted via Lincoln Central, extending journey times by up to 60 minutes.
Anyone know anymore about the exact nature of the engineering works?

If you look under allocations, diagrams & timetables you will find a thread titled joint line diversions posted on 7th September you'll find all the information about whats HST operated /class 67 drag trains on there........

SC43090

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not just yet!

The plan was the following:

Kings Cross-Hitchin to close in 2018
Kings Cross PSB to close, area to be controlled by LNE Regional Operations Centre at York.
Bounds Green North and South shunting boxes to close 2018.

Peterborough to close in 2019
Peterborough PSB and Eastfield signal box to close, along with Helpston gate box (former signal box), area to be controlled by LNE Regional Operations Centre at York.

So not just yet as to resignalling however I've been led to believe by reading a NR release that the former Peterborough PSB area will be done first THEN the former Kings Cross PSB area but hey ho.

All I do know is Peterborough isn't closing anytime soon but it's days are numbered which is a great pity.

Kings Cross to Hitchin now planned for 2020-21
No immediate plans for Peterborough PSB/Eastfield/Helpston in CP5 (before 2024, for the un-initiated); or Bounds Green/Ferme Park shunting panels for that matter; which are LNER (soon to be Hitachi) infrastructure anyway.
Leeds area (York IECC) is being re-controlled to York ROC this Christmas apparently so I doubt there would be resources for Peterborough and / or Kings Cross to be re-controlled as well.
Correct.
With York IECC and Kings Cross PSB (that's around 10 desks worth of signalling; which is a lot of work) going to York ROC in the next couple of years resignalling/recontrol resources are somewhat tied up on the East Coast. The Durham Coast re-signalling has essentially been shelved already; and Ferriby - Gilberdyke may well follow.

Class 170101

Established Member
Kings Cross to Hitchin now planned for 2020-21
No immediate plans for Peterborough PSB/Eastfield/Helpston in CP5 (before 2024, for the un-initiated); or Bounds Green/Ferme Park shunting panels for that matter; which are LNER (soon to be Hitachi) infrastructure anyway.

Correct.
With York IECC and Kings Cross PSB (that's around 10 desks worth of signalling; which is a lot of work) going to York ROC in the next couple of years resignalling/recontrol resources are somewhat tied up on the East Coast. The Durham Coast re-signalling has essentially been shelved already; and Ferriby - Gilberdyke may well follow.

CP6 is from April 2019 for 5 years. CP5 ends March 2019.

I thought Ferriby - Gilberdyke was supposed to happen this November or am I confusing it with another re-signalling project?

If you look under allocations, diagrams & timetables you will find a thread titled joint line diversions posted on 7th September you'll find all the information about whats HST operated /class 67 drag trains on there........

SC43090

I can't find the thread you're mentioning, would you be able to post a link?

godfreycomplex

Established Member

I thought Ferriby - Gilberdyke was supposed to happen this November or am I confusing it with another re-signalling project?
Excuse the typo
Very possibly, I’ve heard differing reports, one that says it’s been postponed until next year or maybe the year after. I don’t work round that way though, so I could be wrong

SC43090

I can't find the thread you're mentioning, would you be able to post a link?

As i said if you go to Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables go to page 7 the 3rd item down you should find the thread titled Joint line diversions Autumn 2018..... The last post was on 14th September......

SC43090

lincolnshire

At present time there is some Rail Replacement in the system for 11th, 24th & 25th November and 1st & 2nd December 2018 as advertised on stations by TPE all Saturdays and Sundays so may be they have taught the signalling system installed to talk to York ROC this time. As last April 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2018 was either an April fool or it was not on speaking terms with York ROC.
Good job the old faith full system was still working and it hadn,t got passed the point of no return signalling wise and they still had the staff to be able to run trains.

deltic08

On Moderation

Gilberdyke area resignalling is almost complete with new signals already erected and covered over. I can't imagine it would be delayed at this late stage. It wouldn't save money by delaying now.

Class 170101

Established Member
Gilberdyke area resignalling is almost complete with new signals already erected and covered over. I can't imagine it would be delayed at this late stage. It wouldn't save money by delaying now.

Assuming it not works of course. Otherwise there will be Schedule 8 Payment galore.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Saturday the 10th will certainly be a fun day for anyone travelling with the ECML closed between Doncaster and Peterborough and the MML closed between Bedford and Leicester...

deltic08

On Moderation
Signalmen have been offered jobs elsewhere, like York-Harrogate, but many have chosen redundancy.

Aictos

Established Member
Saturday the 10th will certainly be a fun day for anyone travelling with the ECML closed between Doncaster and Peterborough and the MML closed between Bedford and Leicester...

I wonder how they're going to run the Stansted Airport to Birmingham/Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich services though on that day?

I wonder how they're going to run the Stansted Airport to Birmingham/Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich services though on that day?
Liverpool to Norwich is split at Nottingham and the Nottingham to Norwich portion of that service will divert via Syston

Aictos

Established Member
Liverpool to Norwich is split at Nottingham and the Nottingham to Norwich portion of that service will divert via Syston

I've checked National Rail and there's no talk of this happening as the only affected services are LNER, Grand Central and Hull Trains due to the engineering works between Peterborough and Retford with some diversions and a rail replacement bus service in operation.

The only alternative to the EMT services is the Midland Mainline works south of Leicester that is currently being advertised on National Rail.

eastdyke

Established Member
East Midlands Trains has details on their website (not the easiest to find though :frown:). Starts at around page 48 of the linked pdf:
https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Global/ENGWK33_WEBSUMMARY.pdf
Trains will operate independently between Liverpool and Nottingham and Nottingham and Norwich
Trains between Nottingham and Norwich will be diverted and will not call at Grantham
Rail replacement buses will operate between Nottingham and Grantham
Customers may also use Nottingham to Skegness trains to travel between Nottingham and Grantham
Journey times will be extended
A replacement timetable for Liverpool - Norwich, Nottingham - Skegness &
Derby - Crewe services on Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th November commences
on the following pages.
I too found nothing on NR Enquiries.

Aictos

Established Member

Stampy

Well least they've got the engineering works on their website, I guess that means that the Norwich to Nottingham service is going via Stamford and Melton Mowbray as usually is the case.

Didn't see any Norwich-Nottingham trains (or vice versa) trains "on the board" at either Peterborough OR Nottingham yesterday when I travelled from Peterborough to Lincoln and back and what a bloody trip it was...

I'd been advised that due to the work on the ECML - it would be quicker to come back via Nottingham from Lincoln......

1st train was the 1232 from Peterborough to Lincoln, which left on time - but then ground to a halt near to Deeping St James, before crawling along behind a train all the way way to just before Sleaford, where the 1-car 153 filled to capacity. Arrived in Lincoln 3 mins late.

2nd train was the 1725 train from Lincoln to Nottingham was uneventful.... :)

3rd train was the 1912 train from Nottingham to Leicester which left late, and was effectively a shuttle train between Nottingham and Leicester (where the MML was shut to Bedford).
Amusing thing was a stuck up woman on this train who REFUSED to leave her seat, and DEMANDED that the train take her to St Pancras!!!

4th train was the 2018 from Leicester back to Peterborough, which (again) was packed.

Finally got back to Peterborough some 9 hours after leaving!!!

Peterborough-Lincoln...... 1 hour 30 mins
Lincoln-Peterborough....... 4 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.