• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England's new three-tier lockdown system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
I'd rather stay in the UK TBH. It's just that I think they should pick whether they want to be independent or a full part of the union and stick with it.

But you might be able to get back into the EU after independence. Or are you assuming that the UK will re-join anyway?

Yew

Established Member
Apparently Manchester are going into T3.

Jonathan Van Tam also has the cool nickname of "Jay Vee Tee"

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Jonathan Van Tam also has the cool nickname of "Jay Vee Tee"

Properly cringey when Boris says it....

A bit irritated there are public questions asking if a national lockdown would be appropriate, when the slides presented clearly show that infection rates are not a national problem.

Darandio

Established Member
Just prolonging the agony then. If T3 comes, say, at the weekend, what do they do if the cases and hospital admissions falls significantly before then?

Pretend it hasn't happened.

It's announced they are going tier 3 in Greater Manchester from Friday, it's only 9 days after Liverpool even though they wanted them both at the same time. What a load of bollocks.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
"JVT" (As he's now apparently known) seems a bit obsessed by care homes, with a public question who has only been able to see her mother with dementia once since March.

My Dad was only in a care home for 15 months before passing away; I can't imagine losing 7 months (and likely more) of this of opportunity to see him. Visitors are probably one of the few 'quality of life' metrics that actually matter for care home residents.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Properly cringey when Boris says it....

A bit irritated there are public questions asking if a national lockdown would be appropriate, when the slides presented clearly show that infection rates are not a national problem.

At least "JVT" seems to recognise that a national lockdown to is unlikely be effective in a national sense as difficult to justify in many areas with low rates. Thankfully.

Howardh

Established Member
Judging by social media, to put it politely, we're not over-enthusiastic about Johnson's statement.

packermac

This story highlights just how ridiculous this has all become

One lady comments that she will not see her granddaughter, even though they live on opposite sides of the same street, their homes are in different Tiers.

There’s no way I would comply in that situation
This happens everywhere though around the world wherever there is a boundary or border. Someone has to be the ones on it. I seemed to remember in the first wave the BBC reported on a supermarket that sat across the Dutch/Belgium border (it runs through the store) and hence had at that time different rules depending on which side of the border (i.e. which country) you were from.
No different to many European borders where there used to be a border post in what was basically a residential street before free movement removed the need.

Darandio

Established Member
I had to laugh at this line:

Boris Johnson says he wanted a deal but had to take action because of the urgency of the situation.

So urgent that they spent a week arguing about money.

STINT47

To say people are not happy with the situation in Manchester after these announcements is an understatement.

Will be interesting to see levels of compliance and if this leads to civil unrest. The Kaiser Chiefs I predict a riot is going round in my head right now.

SteveM70

Established Member
What an utter sh*tshow of a press conference

Johnson appears to be penalising the people of Manchester because Burnham stood up to him.

And Cummings appears to have decided the medics need to be shown as “personalities” as Van-Tam was referred to excruciatingly as JVT at every opportunity

Darandio

Established Member
What an utter sh*tshow of a press conference

Johnson appears to be penalising the people of Manchester because Burnham stood up to him.

How exactly? They were destined for tier 3 anyway, it was even acknowledged by the likes of Burnham that they had to go that way.

Arguing over money for a week when an apparent 'urgent' crisis needed dealing with makes them both look incredibly stupid as far as i'm concerned.

DB

This happens everywhere though around the world wherever there is a boundary or border. Someone has to be the ones on it. I seemed to remember in the first wave the BBC reported on a supermarket that sat across the Dutch/Belgium border (it runs through the store) and hence had at that time different rules depending on which side of the border (i.e. which country) you were from.
No different to many European borders where there used to be a border post in what was basically a residential street before free movement removed the need.

Isn't North Yorkshire (England's largest county by area) counted as one entity? So if there is an increase in cases in Scarborough or Whitby that could lead to restrictions in Skipton, Settle and Hawes? Not very logicial.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Isn't North Yorkshire (England's largest county by area) counted as one entity? So if there is an increase in cases in Scarborough or Whitby that could lead to restrictions in Skipton, Settle and Hawes? Not very logicial.

Reality is that a local outbreak in one place wouldn't register on the averaged out figures for the whole area.

DB

Reality is that a local outbreak in one place wouldn't register on the averaged out figures for the whole area.

Possibly not - but the area is mostly so sparsely populated that a concentration in one of the larger towns (there are only really two - Harrogate and Scarborough) could have an impact.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I believe restrictions are decided at a district level. Barrow has Tier 2 but Carlisle is still Tier 1 despite them being in the same county, likewise for Elmbridge vs Guildford or Coventry vs Birmingham. Granted, in North Yorkshire some of the districts are pretty huge (Hambleton might be the worst - if the York spike spread to Easingwold, why should Stokesley/Northallerton be put into measures), but in exceptional circumstances districts can be split too (such as the High Peak).

packermac

How exactly? They were destined for tier 3 anyway, it was even acknowledged by the likes of Burnham that they had to go that way.

Arguing over money for a week when an apparent 'urgent' crisis needed dealing with makes them both look incredibly stupid as far as i'm concerned.
Exactly if I was a newspaper editor I would already have the headline written for 4 or 5 weeks time "Burnham killed my (insert applicable relative)

Darandio

Established Member
Exactly if I was a newspaper editor I would already have the headline written for 4 or 5 weeks time "Burnham killed my (insert applicable relative)

Well I wouldn't quite go that far!

I understand the need to try and secure adequate funding for the people you represent. What I don't agree with is using it as leverage to delay measures until you get what you want, especially if the need is so urgent and much of the rhetoric is about taking swift action to save lives. Now they're calling Burnham #KingoftheNorth on social media, it baffles me.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

If they were intent on peddling the fallacy that the tier three restrictions would actually have an effect.

DJH1971

Established Member
The advice does seem to be a bit vague, especially regarding non-essential travel from and very high risk area and vice-versa.

The official guidance on Gov.UK for travel to and from a very high risk area states 'you should try to avoid travelling outside the very high alert level area you are in or entering a very high alert level area, other than for things like work, education or youth services, to meet caring responsibilities or if you are travelling through as part of a longer journey'. Basically whilst it is advising you not to take non-essential travel, it is also implying that it is not illegal to do so.

kristiang85

Established Member

Ah that would be one of my favourite geo-political anomalies in Europe - Baarle Hertog. Give it a search on Google Maps; the borders are crazy indeed. The definition of your jurisdiction (whether Belgium or Netherlands) is based on which side of the border your front door is, so over the decades various houses/businesses on the lines have changed their front doors around depending on which tax regime was friendlier.

Quite how it worked in COVID times (e.g. the Netherlands has been a lot more lax than Belgium), it would be interesting to know.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Well I wouldn't quite go that far!

I understand the need to try and secure adequate funding for the people you represent. What I don't agree with is using it as leverage to delay measures until you get what you want, especially if the need is so urgent and much of the rhetoric is about taking swift action to save lives. Now they're calling Burnham #KingoftheNorth on social media, it baffles me.

I wonder if the cost of the delay will turn out to be more than the £5m they were squabbling over.

Chester1

Established Member
I wonder if the cost of the delay will turn out to be more than the £5m they were squabbling over.

It bought a week and a half extra for Mancs to see friends and family and for hospitality businesses to make some money.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

Because people are finally starting to realise that lockdown without the cushy 80% is a nightmare?

Well the extra week's delay, with the marginally higher R will get us a little bit closer to the inevitable exit point to this crisis.

DustyBin

Established Member
To say people are not happy with the situation in Manchester after these announcements is an understatement.

Will be interesting to see levels of compliance and if this leads to civil unrest. The Kaiser Chiefs I predict a riot is going round in my head right now.

There have been a few things discussed on here that may lead to civil unrest, but nobody could have foreseen this. I’m not sure about rioting but I can very well imagine people in Greater Manchester saying stuff the restrictions as a result of their local leaders openly challenging it. It’s an interesting situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.