• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entering a railway career

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

I really have made quite a catch with my girlfriend =). She's just imparted to me that she really wants a job on the railways.

She hasn't got sparkling GCSEs, she's got 9 and a half (one short course, you see) I think, 2 and a half Cs, and a load of Ds and Es.

So come on gang, leaving personal aptitude out just for now, what are the various jobs she could do on this basis and how would she go about getting into them?

Zoltán

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
You need to be 18 for onboard positions and IIRC 16 for station stuff. Just keep checking the various TOC websites.

As an aside, if she doesn't have C's in GCSE English/Maths I would recommend trying to do the short resit course. Would probably improve chances of getting a job.

nutter

I looked into this when i was still at school, only a year ago, so shouldn't have changed TOO much. Jobs on the railways are exclusivly 18's and overs due to insurance in my experiance, although not mandatory. If she could get a job on the heritage for a starter that would do alot of good, almost making up for the lack in C grade GCSE's

And nick, that was tight, we don't :argue: about your boyfriend do we. She wants a job on the railways, Zoltan's pretty lucky to have a gf who even excepts the railways, let alone wants to work on em, round here there unheard off

TheSlash

Established Member
Right, first of all, i would like an immediate end to the bitching over people's lovers etc.
Now as for jobs.
It's difficult to say. Station staff and work your way up? Pway isn't a ladies thing.

WhiteVanMan

I started off on the platforms nearly 6 years ago - and I really havent got anywhere as Im still technically station based :(
I frickin' hate it..... :(

metrocammel

www.railstaff.co.uk , which links to "Railway People" allways seems to have a good selection of rail-related jobs. There is a printed version, which is like a green coloured newspaper, this also has loads of job pages in. I can get a copy of if you wish, as I dont think its available to the public.

compsci

I suspect that they're referring to the management side of things (given that I'm a graduate), but I had several people, including my Dad and some of the more senior people I met at Friends of LTM meetings warn me to keep railways strictly as a hobby. Political interference was cited as a particular issue.

This is unlikely to apply to anyone thinking of starting closer to the action as it were, but I thought that it would be best to mention it in the more general context of this thread, and as it might be an issue in the future.

Sprog

Established Member
good.

My career has just began! Fun.

Good luck to her Zoltan my freind.

You will have to introduce us one day!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.