• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enthusiasts documentary at Stafford railway station

Status
Not open for further replies.

gem

Hi, My name is Gemma and I'm a student at Staffordshire University. I am creating a documentary about train enthusiasts and was wondering if anyone would like to come and talk to me. I will be coming on the platforms a lot more in the coming weeks (without my camera to start with) and am really keen to find more about the hobby and meet some real characters.

The documentary will be exploring the hobby and portraying it in the good manner, my aim is to give people a true representation of the hobby and change people preconceptions of it.

If anyone would be interested in taking part or know of anyone that might be please email me at [email protected] or reply to this post.

Thank you very much

Gemma

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Don2912

Hello Gemma,

Getting the terminology correct would be a good start - It is railway station. :)

That said, I wish you well in your research; had you been undertaking it at Derby or Nottingham, I would have gladly taken part (although to be honest, I can be a little sceptical when dealing with researchers, especially with the media).

Best Wishes,

Don

Crossover

Established Member
I'm an ex student of Staffs Uni so sadly no longer still regularly in the area. Stafford is an enthusiast haven though (they welcome it as well) so it wouldn't take long to find a few. Some aren't camera shy either, but not all portray us in a good light ;)

Roverman

I live in Stafford and travel by train about 4/5 times a month. Message me some times when you'll be on the concourse and I'll see if I can't come down and help ya!

gem

Thank you very much for your response Don2912. I had expected to have to go to a few different stations to meet people, do you think there would be others that would be up for being filmed at Derby or Nottingham?

Thanks
Gem
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks Crossover for replying :)

Thanks
Gem
That's great Roverman thank you very much, I will let you know when I will be there.

Thanks
Gem

Hi, My name is Gemma and I'm a student at Staffordshire University. I am creating a documentary about train enthusiasts and was wondering if anyone would like to come and talk to me. I will be coming on the platforms a lot more in the coming weeks (without my camera to start with) and am really keen to find more about the hobby and meet some real characters.

The documentary will be exploring the hobby and portraying it in the good manner, my aim is to give people a true representation of the hobby and change people preconceptions of it.

If anyone would be interested in taking part or know of anyone that might be please email me at [email protected] or reply to this post.

Thank you very much

Gemma

Thank you very much for your response Don2912. I had expected to have to go to a few different stations to meet people, do you think there would be others that would be up for being filmed at Derby or Nottingham?

Thanks
Gem
Thanks Crossover for replying :)

Thanks
Gem
That's great Roverman thank you very much, I will let you know when I will be there.

Thanks
Gem

Doncaster is a good place some real annoraks .

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Doncaster is a good place some real annoraks .

The reak annoraks aren't necessarily good for portraying the hobby in a positive light though - but given the variety of people who go to Doncaster, then I'm sure you'd find plenty of people willing to speak to you.

From experience, there don't usually seem to be that many around at Nottingham - it might be that I just don't notice them.

The reak annoraks aren't necessarily good for portraying the hobby in a positive light though - but given the variety of people who go to Doncaster, then I'm sure you'd find plenty of people willing to speak to you.

From experience, there don't usually seem to be that many around at Nottingham - it might be that I just don't notice them.

not all are some spoil the hobby for decent enthusiasts .

tsr

Established Member
I would suggest that your documentary might be more interesting if you manage to book some cheap Advance tickets and travel to some other areas of the UK, especially if you can find out whether or not some "unusual" train workings are likely at a specific location (this is much easier said than done, but, for example, finding a large station where a railtour will pass through at a specific time may lead to some sizeable congregations of enthusiasts! ;)). Try Bristol Temple Meads, Peterborough, Clapham Junction, London Victoria, London Euston etc. when there are special charters running, if you can find a good enough ticket deal. You may find Birmingham New Street, Preston, York and Doncaster interesting, too, and these may be slightly more accessible.

That said, there should be plenty of filming opportunities in your exact area to keep you occupied! ;)

gem

Thank you 90047 for you response, I do wish to portray the hobby in the best possible light :)

Thanks
Gem
Thank you trentside for the suggestions :)

Thanks
Gem
Thank you tsr for your help, very useful info.

Thanks
Gem

Harbon 1

Doncaster is good for every type really, derby is also quite busy with spotters, and the odd photographer.

I wouldn't mind speaking to you at derby if you were to go there

gem

I will be coming to Stafford Railway Station on Saturday 2nd March (but will be returning on various dates throughout March). Anyone who would be willing to be filmed while talking about the hobby, please come and say hello, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to find out as much as possible about it all :) Thank you
Thank you Matt for your reply, I am currently considering going to a few other stations, so I will keep you posted

Thanks
Gem

43021HST

Established Member
Not all trainspotters are anoraks, but most are, some you meet down the ends of the platform, are exactly the sort of people I'd avoid. It can be a bit like hanging round some of Jim Hendersons creations, being around some of those neds.

Heres a taste of things to come in creating your documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DN1yhNz4Rc

Clip

Established Member
gem,

please make sure you inform Stafford station in advance and when you get there if you are to carry out any filming or interviews. You may run into bother if you do not have permission.

Tomnick

Established Member
It's not all about platform ends on the national network - plenty of enthusiasts give their spare time to help keep various heritage railways running. Certainly a different, and hopefully interesting, angle on the hobby!

David Goddard

Established Member
Very pleasing to hear that someone wants to portray enthusiasts in a positive light for a change. Far too many reports send out the wrong message.
Contrary to the belief of so many, (usually those who just sit in a pub or on the couch all day), being interested in railways (or indeed buses, or planes) is NOT about standing on platforms (street corners/airports) taking numbers and all of the stereotypes that go with it which got created in the 1980s.
Yes some of us take numbers as well, at times, but many will have a broad interest in the subject including timetabling, operations, signalling, architecture and much more.
I for one am part of Britain's leading Railway Society, through which I have met many like minded people of all backgrounds who share the hobby.

I would be very pleased to see the outcome, so please do share it when you can. Anyone who has seen Vicki Pipe's excellent reports on YouTube will know that there is a lot more to it.

Stafford is a great place to start, and if you ever come to Reading please message me. Good luck!

Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I usually go to platform ends and yes as well as an enthusiast, I am that kind of spotter. While some do mess about, be grumpy old farts or be downright rude, there are some who will be more than happy to help you. Make sure you choose the right people because there are some knowledgeable spotters out there in my experience, you just have to fund who they are!
I usually go to platform ends and yes as well as an enthusiast, I am that kind of spotter. While some do mess about, be grumpy old farts or be downright rude, there are some who will be more than happy to help you. Make sure you choose the right people because there are some knowledgeable spotters out there in my experience, you just have to fund who they are!

That should be *find

Status
Not open for further replies.