• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enthusiasts getting access to depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Would a group of enthusiasts ever be allowed access to trains inside depots? I think it's a long shot, but it may be possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
You can get access to Loughborough Motive Power Department normally from about 9am till 5pm every day, except when heavy lifting or anything dangerous to the public is in operation.

Doubt you can access other depots though.

Nick

NET did a tour last year and beleive there was a RailUK meet to Crown Point?

David

Established Member
I suppose it is possible, after you have proved your not a terrorist, and filled in all the relevent health and safety forms (all 300 pages and in triplicate), and proved your ID to several dozen managers.

In short, no. I beleive most, if not all depots are now refusing to issue passes to enthusiasts and photographers unless it is for some PR or an article for a magazine.

Although I may be wrong.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
No that was a Transport Forum meet unless I am correct. I almost went on it, but I realised that Central Trains are useless on Sundays.

joy54.gen

It seems one are the only TOC that give access to their depots, I went on the Norwich Crown Point meet and it was a good day, all of the depot was viewed and alot of info was gained.

ChristopherJ

If you wrote to 'one' Anglia, you could possibly get a tour of Crown Point Depot in Norwich, myself and a few other members from this forum had a tour in winter 2004.

I must stress, this was before the terrorist incidents in the United Kingdom, the recent events may have eliminated all chances of having a tour of railway property such as a depot.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with asking but don’t get your hopes high that they will say yes!

Tom B

Established Member
They're snotty enough about you taking photos of their trains from public land or on public stations, what do you think they'll be like in depots!?

Sprog

Established Member
Ive got tours of several depots around the West, mostly through luck!

These where all pre-london attacks though.. :(

My list is currently:

Margam
Canton (twice)
St. Phillips Marsh (twice)
Ramsgate

Ironcially, the only 'local' depot i havent gained entry to is Bristol Barton Hill, despite this being my closest. Ive asked on several occasions and even applied for wokrk experiance there back in year 10. But each time i got a rude reply or in the case of the exp. a blunt letter. Maybe one day... :?

I think Willesden depot also grant (or granted) depot permits if you formally write to them (West Coast Traincare) asking nicley, though ive yet to try it myslef.

Id love to visit Loughbrough one day..maybe a trip up there is in order next year... :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cockfosters said:
They're snotty enough about you taking photos of their trains from public land or on public stations, what do you think they'll be like in depots!?

The difference is that, while at stations you get the odd 'snotty' jobsworth (but in my experience they are very much the minority!), whereas at Depots you would have specific permission to be there & take photos and be accompanied by an employee so there wouldn't really be an issue.

Sprog

Established Member
The only depot ive had a problem with is Crewe 'International' Electric depot

Whilst at Crewe on the Works Weekeend, we'd driven up to crewe and decided to make a whistle stop tour to Cewe IEMD(then Basford Hall Yard later) to 'kop' the stored 92s and anything else that was on-shed. (first time we'd ever been there)

We drove up the small road and parked by the entrance of the closed builders yard, got out and picked off the 92s and a 90. I walked towards the gate to see what was beyond it, and the PA on the gate suddenly scared the sh*t outa me, with a guy saying "can you keep away from the gate!", even though i was at least 3 feet away as it said it.. :?

hmm, so we just said ok to the guy, walked back to the car and buggered off.

Still struck me as being very rude though......aww well...got the 92s ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You jammy git spm_43030, doing MG and CF...Seeing the stored stuff in CE I'm envious of, there's loads I need there.

I regret not doing the CP tour though, I should have made an effort to get there!

No need to ask for permission at HF, there's both rarely stuff in there (certainly nowt interesting) and it's also viewable from a nearby road bridge anyway. There was a loose covered steel wagon in there once, in the disused HST siding, but I haven't got the footage freely available now. That's about as interesting as HF gets now, btw. You do get trains using reversing sidings (the bit viewable from the road bridge) when turning back towards Birmingham/London/wherever, then that's it.

Best one to do if you want to cop a lot of numbers in one day would be HM. Got 11 new numbers from there yesterday! Just a pity I couldn't see the rest from the 158!

Sprog

Established Member
FGWFan said:
You jammy git spm_43030, doing MG and CF...Seeing the stored stuff in CE I'm envious of, there's loads I need there.

Hehe, well, like i said...The Margam tour was pure luck.

We got a look round the sheds and in the cab of a 60 and kopped all the locos on-shed :P

Same with Canton. First visit we just looked around the load-bank and the running shed, but on the second, we got to go in the heavy maintenance shed and see an 08 stripped with all its pistons lined up along the pit. Very interesting, shame i didnt have my camara at that time.

Aww well, memories will do me!! :D

Sprog

Established Member
Me too. Alas, security guard on the gate wouldnt even let us down the road to phot the Turntable...... :cry: :x

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I did organize the Crown Point meet for Christmas indeed, Maybe ill set up another one, but unfortunatly maybe after christmas sometime in january perhaps

Dennis

Established Member
heart-of-wessex said:
I did organize the Crown Point meet for Christmas indeed, Maybe ill set up another one, but unfortunatly maybe after christmas sometime in january perhaps

Good luck. 'One' are on the Security Risk idea at the mo

Beaker

Established Member
I have doen some austria and swiss and a few polish ones. My camera failed on the polish and did not have a camera on swiss and austria.

Status
Not open for further replies.