• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enthusiasts on the Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Squaddie

Who died? Do yourself a favour and don't go abroad or even view some of things that various 'darlings' do in this country, you might die of indignation.
Luckily, in this case, no-one died. But many people trespassing on railway lines do die every year.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Who died? Do yourself a favour and don't go abroad or even view some of things that various 'darlings' do in this country, you might die of indignation.

Someone doesn't have to die to make something illegal and stupid.

scotsman

Established Member

Like snorting "plant food"?

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Well seen as i believe a trespasser has been killed at chapeltown this evening id say that people do die trespassing so it should be stopped...

Beveridges

Established Member
The Kettle heads are the most well-known for trespassing!

Also sticking heads out of windows of trains moving at speed - another almost equally dangerous act

tsr

Established Member
Also sticking heads out of windows of trains moving at speed - another almost equally dangerous act

Indeed. People have even been decapitated on boats moving at no more than 10 knots when they have struck bridges after leaning overboard, and someone who sticks their head out of the window of a train is taking a massive risk - scale the boat analogy up a bit...

Chris125

Established Member
I doubt the people in this article were enthusiasts tbh, though its no excuse.

Chris

deltic1989

Established Member
It does'nt matter if anyone died or not the fact is had the driver not taken the action he did, someone very well could have. It is ILLEGAL to trespass on a railway for a reason and the sooner some of these total d!ckheads learn that the better.
Is a photograph really worth risking your life for?

cuccir

Established Member

Accidental deaths in the UK have fallen over the last twenty years and are just about the lowest in the world (for roads, as a guide, we have the 5th lowest deaths per capita in the world, and the 2nd for countries of any real size: we'er behind the Marshall Islands, Sweden, Malta and San Marino).

Overall accidental death rates are still falling. But no, it's our regulations which are wrong.

ex-railwayman

Well, it does state that 2 were elderly women, so, probably not your local yobs then, possibly holidaymakers from another country perhaps, Canada or The States, they seem to be keen on the Scottish Highlands, especially now that it's Spring, and these folks don't always study the laws of the land they visit. The chap should know better than to stand actually on the track, whatever country he's from.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Clip

Established Member
Hasnt this viaduct been discussed with walkers before on here? I seem to remember something similar with walkers using it as a short cut.

tsr

Established Member
Hasnt this viaduct been discussed with walkers before on here? I seem to remember something similar with walkers using it as a short cut.

As it said in the article. Even if it's a locally-known (or simply notorious) shortcut, that doesn't mean it's safe, legal and so on, but, as we know, people often think such "local knowledge" or rumours are equivalent to "common sense", whereas that's not the case, and safety should always come first.

Clip

Established Member
As it said in the article. Even if it's a locally-known (or simply notorious) shortcut, that doesn't mean it's safe, legal and so on, but, as we know, people often think such "local knowledge" or rumours are equivalent to "common sense", whereas that's not the case, and safety should always come first.

Never said it was. What I did allude to is that its a known problem. And as its a known problem maybe they should do something about it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

As the report states, the above matter seems well known to the British Transport Police. Meetings in schools and in community venues should be held by the British Transport Police in both Edderton and Ardgay to highlight both the dangers involved of these actions and also of the actual legal nature of these incidents, plus coverage made in the local newspapers.

Maxfly

So, oh special one. In that case what makes it alright for eejits like that to just wander about the line then, and for thick photographers to plonk themselves in the four foot to get another samey snap of a train then??
Why should I have to caution trains because some self righteous **** thinks it is his god given right to trespass and get a pitcure of a train then? Why do i have to waste police time and my own as well as the next train load of passengers when carry out the procedures set out in the rule book? Take your own indignation and beat a path to the nearest asylum ta muchly lol:lol:

Grantham

So, oh special one. In that case what makes it alright for eejits like that to just wander about the line then, and for thick photographers to plonk themselves in the four foot to get another samey snap of a train then??
Why should I have to caution trains because some self righteous **** thinks it is his god given right to trespass and get a pitcure of a train then? Why do i have to waste police time and my own as well as the next train load of passengers when carry out the procedures set out in the rule book? Take your own indignation and beat a path to the nearest asylum ta muchly lol:lol:

I think it turns out they were older women, not photographers. No point ranting about people off topic, hey? There are plenty of complaints about signalmen if you want to go off topic! ;)

KA4C

Well said

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think it turns out they were older women, not photographers. No point ranting about people off topic, hey? There are plenty of complaints about signalmen if you want to go off topic! ;)

Apart from the fact that the article states that the driver also reported a man with a camera and a tripod was also on the line.

whhistle

On Moderation
It is ILLEGAL to trespass on a railway...
Pfft. I break the law on a daily basis I should think.
I would guess you do too.
Remember, not obeying road signs is illegal yet I would say the majority of road users do this every time they get behind the wheel.

I'm not saying what the women did was right, but saying "it is illegal" is a non-argument these days.

Squaddie

Remember, not obeying road signs is illegal yet I would say the majority of road users do this every time they get behind the wheel.
Just out of interest, which road signs in particular do you think the majority of road users disobey every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.