• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entire 800/801/802 fleet stood down for safety checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Plans were discussed for a 387 crowd buster from Cardiff for rugby and other events. Guess it didn't happen due to COVID but the signage is up on Cardiff station and the wires are live all the way.

It’s a shame that GWR, in their wisdom, removed the HSTs from the safety case up into Paddington. 4 coaches is better than nothing, and would have at least allowed some kind of service this morning, even if it meant connecting into 387s. Some drivers still sign both HST and 80x so I’m sure it could be feasible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
A key issue which needs clarifying is why this is an issue which requires immediate suspension of the fleet for checking as opposed to one which needs urgent checking on a more staggered basis over the next few days.

HST274

The 1P66 Worc to pad is now being formed of a three car train instead of an 800 (a 166/165 maybe. I am not knowledgeable about the fleet). Shows sign GWR are being a bit proactive.
-Robert

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Are there any 321's around to substitute on the ECML like last time :lol:

JN114

Established Member
The 1P66 Worc to pad is now being formed of a three car train instead of an 800 (a 166/165 maybe. I am not knowledgeable about the fleet). Shows sign GWR are being a bit proactive.
-Robert

165103, went up on 1W05

RobShipway

Established Member
Are the yaw dampers for the CAF trains, the same manufacturer as the ones used on the Hitachi 8XX trains?

Shame, that the Class 769's are not able to be used.

High Dyke

Established Member
-Robert
165103 for the record.

Older trains I could understand. However, new trains only a few years old?

mikeg

Established Member
This is ludicrous. If it's causing people to drive it's probably putting them in more danger. Not only that but you'd think LNER would ease up on their mandatory reservations policy but no

24Grange

So only way to Exeter is 159 from Waterloo ? Good job we are at minimal covid customer levels or they would be swamped. Could you get into Cornwall? Voyager or 150's?
I don't think National Express are running a full service anyway? Is it a design issue or mechanical ? I have always wondered why 800's do a sickening hip shattering painful horizontal sudden shift left or right - noticed from new (sometimes with a bang) when they go over anything other than plain track.

Since safety cases and accountability and transparency are so strict ( along with long testing and proving sessions for new trains) why has this happened?

So not Javelins ? They seem much more "robust" and tidy anyway ( and been running longer)

RobShipway

Established Member
There was a rake of mk 4's sat at Neville Hill when I went past last week. Whether they're usable I don't know.
I thought that the MK4's where having work done to them, to help keep them disability compliant?

londonteacher

And yet they've found the time and space to suggest information on here isn't correct, without correcting it.
Yes, but there are times when the forum is not the most accurate. So, it's a fair disclaimer even if on this occasion it's false.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This is ludicrous. If it's causing people to drive it's probably putting them in more danger. Not only that but you'd think LNER would ease up on their mandatory reservations policy but no

That doesn't help when there aren't any trains running to begin with!

24Grange

Strategic reserve of HST's anyone? ( to be stored next to all the old steam engines and brought out in when national emergency.
Thinking about it, back in the day the loading gauge across BR was pretty much the same ( with some exceptions0 and trans could go anywhere. Now virtually every line has its own exceptions and loading gauge, so ( even if had the spare stock) can't swop around

Highlandspring

Established Member
Roger Ford has just been on R4 and said he believes it is the yaw damper fault identified last month.
4000 brackets to check, and difficult to repair.

Odd that we have a similar problem with CAF Civity units at the same time.

The potential issue is with welds on a different part though it's in the same general vicinity as the yaw damper mounting.

Three-Nine

So only way to Exeter is 159 from Waterloo ? Good job we are at minimal covid customer levels or they would be swamped.
Unfortunately, and with the usual sense of UK railway timing, there's bus replacement services between Salisbury and Gillingham and Axminster and Exeter.

Wolfie

Established Member
Strategic reserve of HST's anyone? ( to be stored next to all the old steam engines and brought out in when national emergency.
Thinking about it, back in the day the loading gauge across BR was pretty much the same ( with some exceptions0 and trans could go anywhere. Now virtually every line has its own exceptions and loading gauge, so ( even if had the spare stock) can't swop around
But only after they have had a complete rebuild to make them safer lol....

See:

NSEFAN

Established Member
This is ludicrous. If it's causing people to drive it's probably putting them in more danger.
I can't imagine that any TOC wants to take its entire fleet offline at such short notice. Just had to listen to some small man mouthing off at staff at Reading about it. As if it's the dispatcher's fault that trains cannot run.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am sure once they are in a sensible position to inform of the exact reasons David Horne will tweet something out.
If I were Mr Horne, I would be embarrassed at the rudeness and arrogance of my social media staff and be making an immediate call to the control room manager to tell my staff to stop sending such ridiculous messages. It’s not exactly as if it’s a secret; it was the top story on the BBC 9am radio news and other Tocs that run these trains have been much more forthcoming with information.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Indeed, xenophobia rules.... There have been enough British engineering disasters...
Roger Ford pointed out that yaw damper problems of this sort had been around for several decades.
He highlighted the difficulty of repair with an aluminium body.
I think 158s were one of the classes involved, which were not "foreign".

PS From TPE's web site:
Due to a problem currently under investigation, we are advising customers NOT TO TRAVEL between Liverpool and Newcastle

So not limited to GWR/LNER.
And a similar message on the Hull Trains web site.

Last edited:

tgsh2011

I disagree with you there. In my opinion, the majority of passengers wants to turn up, get on the train and go on their merry way. If their train hasn't shown up, they want to know their other options. How to get to their destination, will their ticket be accepted and what time they will arrive.

Enthusiasts need to leave TOC's Twitter team to their jobs in assisting passengers not bogging them down with tit tat arguments trying to prove they know more then the TOC's.

When the problems confirmed, those who want to know will find out, whilst the majority of passengers will be too busy doing what ever it is they are doing to care why their train was delayed or cancelled that morning.

Our friends on the LNER Twitter feed tried to imply that information from this forum might not be correct. This is a well respected forum with many knowledgeable contributors and that was pointed out. Why LNER could not have been open and honest with customers is beyond me. It is fair to suggest that they knew full well what was going on but for reasons unknown did not wish to convey that information to fare paying customers. There was nothing wrong with saying that the trains were being inspected and would come back into service when safe to do so. Customers can handle such information.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So only way to Exeter is 159 from Waterloo ? Good job we are at minimal covid customer levels or they would be swamped. Could you get into Cornwall? Voyager or 150's?
Short HSTs supported by 158s provide the local service in Cornwall. GWR are stating that 75% of the normal service level is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.