• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entire 800/801/802 fleet stood down for safety checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
The issue for me is we are apparently looking at 12 months to fix the entire fleet , and that is an awfully long time for the south west to lose a London service. Especially with the upcoming staycation boom this summer.
Changing at Bristol and Swindon might be OK for a week or two but it won't cut it in the long run. Similarly expecting everyone to take the extremely slow SWR service from Exeter to Waterloo.

ScouserGirl

The issue for me is we are apparently looking at 12 months to fix the entire fleet , and that is an awfully long time for the south west to lose a London service. Especially with the upcoming staycation boom this summer.
Changing at Bristol and Swindon might be OK for a week or two but it won't cut it in the long run. Similarly expecting everyone to take the extremely slow SWR service from Exeter to Waterloo.
12 months!!!!! Are they planning on running some IETS in the mean time ie the ones which cracks aren't too bad?

irish_rail

Established Member
12 months!!!!! Are they planning on running some IETS in the mean time ie the ones which cracks aren't too bad?
That is 12 months for the entire fleet obviously there will be some coming back to traffic (one would hope) as and when they are fixed.

TheLastMinute

I have sympathy with that view, but 2 weeks is a long way in the future in the context of the current problem.

Even if the crew knowledge, PTI, clearance and safety case issues can be sorted, the major problem remains of what is used to replace the Castles on their current Cardiff-Taunton-Penzance work?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Yes that's somewhat stating the obvious. No doubt GWR are looking at short/medium-term and the DfT considering longer-term options.

father_jack

To return to the "gnashing of teeth" surrounding the south west to London and vice versa, an early look at tomorrow's plan sees a 1314 and 1650 Plymouth to Paddington diverted to and terminating at Bristol TM after Taunton and also a 1020, 1315 and 1520 Bristol TM to Plymouth, not in Real-time yet and no indication of motive power class or TOC. All subject to change of course.

(@Horizon22 you deleted my post before I had a chance to answer last night, trains were removed and reinstated half hour later....:smile:)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
(@Horizon22 you deleted my post before I had a chance to answer last night, trains were removed and reinstated half hour later....:smile:)

Just a note I don't moderate this particular forum, so wasn't me! The teams that managed the CIS and timetable systems were probably trying to organise everything overnight.

vikingdriver

However the original question was about increasing Waterloo-Bristol by adding extra services from Waterloo

I don't think the question meant running additional trains in additional pathways, more simply adding extra direct services which is nothing more than changing what the rear 3 coaches do when they get to Salisbury. The new timetable from Monday for example doesn't have the previous 0920 Waterloo to Exeter/Bristol and so there is one additional direct train instantly that could potentially run. Anyway moving on :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This thread has now been unlocked. As a reminder we already have several thread running in other areas of the Forum which would be suitable for several different off-shoot discussions. For instance we have a thread here which is already quite lengthy on ideas people have for how to cope with this issue whilst it is ongoing. There is a thread here which covers various travel updates and options for people who are actually travelling.

The thread we are currently should really be focussed more on the 80x (and 385s if anyone is aware of what's actually going on with them!) and what is happening to those fleets. We have plenty of capacity for other threads to cover the huge range of issues that the current situation presents.

Also, as a reminder, if you see any posts which cause you concern, break the Forum Rules or you believe are being deliberately disruptive then please use the report button (found at the bottom of every post) to bring those to our attention. Please do not reply to such posts as it makes tidying up a thread afterwards that little bit harder :)

Many thanks,

ainsworth74

scotraildriver

Established Member
Any update on the ScotRail 385's that were being inspected for simialr issues?
10 units out of service with small cracks related to the jacking pocket. No issues with the yaw dampers. Whole fleet checked again overnight, nothing more found.

TheLastMinute

10 units out of service with small cracks related to the jacking pocket. No issues with the yaw dampers. Whole fleet checked again overnight, nothing more found.
Speaks to size of the problem when you're relieved to read it's only 10 units removed from a fleet!

Has there been any word on if the initial investigation has made any connection between the 385 cracks to the ones on the IETs?

scotraildriver

Established Member
Speaks to size of the problem when you're relieved to read it's only 10 units removed from a fleet!

Has there been any word on if the initial investigation has made any connection between the 385 cracks to the ones on the IETs?
Similar but different issue according to Engineering.

sonic2009

Established Member
Do we know if any of the Azumas are stranded away from depots, a bit like the two at Worcester for GWR

Wyrleybart

Established Member
This is probably second-guessing the situation, but you would imagine that once Hitacho / Agility have set up the repair workshops they would be selecting the units which require the least attention first, ro speed them through the process, sign them off, and get them back to work. That is assuming the cracks are limited to just one of maybe two vehicles of a set.

Alternately, perhaps Hitachi feel the need to repair every weld under every vehicle, in which case the five car 800/0s and the 9 car 800/1s might be a priority.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
According to a story in a York newspaper 3 days ago, LNER were advising people not to travel on their services. The story went on to say that ALL Hitachi 800 type trains had been withdrawn from service. Whether or not that is factually accurate is neither here nor there, people will believe it. They won't go hunting around for second opinions or researching facts and figures, they'll simply accept what they're being told in the press. So, yes, it's a PR disaster for LNER, GWR, Hull Trains and anyone else that relies on Hitachi 800s. They've been banging on about their amazing new trains, and now, in the eyes of the public, it's come back to bite them on the backside

So according to one story in a York newspaper, you conclude it’s a PR disaster? How many people read York newspapers. I lived in York for years, and never did!

Of the 91 found with cracks, are we talking about 1 crack on 1 vehicle per set, multiple cracks on a vehicle, multiple cracks across all 5/9 vehicles, or a mixture of the three?

Yes!

TheLastMinute

This is probably second-guessing the situation, but you would imagine that once Hitacho / Agility have set up the repair workshops they would be selecting the units which require the least attention first, ro speed them through the process, sign them off, and get them back to work. That is assuming the cracks are limited to just one of maybe two vehicles of a set.

Alternately, perhaps Hitachi feel the need to repair every weld under every vehicle, in which case the five car 800/0s and the 9 car 800/1s might be a priority.
I'd imagine that Hitachi will want to get as many units out as quickly as possible. I believe they are paid per diagram - the more units in service, the less lost income/fines.

flash

For traction:
Someone has to write a full traction course. Includes manuals and fault guides (some material may be readily available)
Classroom based training, maybe a week, depending how different the traction is.
Train handling with an instructor (a minimum of 20 hours depending on how different the traction is to what drivers already sign)
A final written pass out exam (1 day)
A final ride assessment (1 day).

All in all, 2 to 3 weeks. Obviously the number of instructors and trainers you have will affect how long it takes to train a whole depot
You will then the competency revalidation program to go with it.... its not just training drivers - its also keeping them validated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.