• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Epping-Ongar for BVE4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have finally got around to finish the route! :blob5:
You can download it on BRT http://www.bveroutes-trains.co.uk/ongar.html.

It features

Five running diagrams
Accurate scenery with many purpose built objects.
Traction motor cutout at power rail gaps.
Photorealistic rails, objects, sky and clouds.
Realistic countryside ambience and sound effects.

Many thanks to Rich for hosting the files. Enjoy it guys! :)

Edit: Chris Roger will take down the his BVE 2 version of the route shortly, for those who want to download the BVE 2 version, SHOULD DO SO NOW, before its too late. The BVE 2 version is on http://www.freewebs.com/railsouth/bve/frameset.htm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LabRatAndy

Well done for creating such an excellent route, I've just tried it and it looks brilliant!!!!!!

Simon_G

Had a run through and like it very much :) (reasonable framerates too ;)).

I saw some strobing where you've used separate textures for the quoins and windows of the station buildings, only really noticeable at Ongar, but apart from that the stations are lovely models.

"Strobing" ? Do you mean the flickering effect, when two textures are placed at the same place?

The textures are separated by 1mm and it displays fine for me. Beta testers didnt say anything about this either. :-?

Any ideas?

Bizarre

Excellent route Kelvin - well done! I particularly like the "extras", such as the hot air balloon and kite. There are probably more which I've not yet noticed!

I too get some flickering but am not unduly concerned.

T

Tom

I certainly didn't notice any flickering - mind you it may be because of the fact I normally have the graphics settings up high (anisotropic & antialiasing!)

tubenutter

Hi,
I'm having a problem:
I try and load the Ongar route -- when i click 'OPEN' on the file it runs through the files and stuff at the bottom of the window, and then when it's finished it just stays on a blue screen (with bve on it). It does it with all 5 things (ie stormy, rainy, etc.) but doesn't do it on other routes. Any explanation anybody?
Cheers
Jonny

eezypeazy

A superb route - thoroughly enjoyed it!

Flickering is particularly noticeable at Ongar. 1mm separation between faces doesn't seem to be enough!

Once that's fixed, this will become a classic route.

Liked the rabbit...

eezypeazy

Dennis

Established Member
Nice route to drive; the ice-cream van music at the end is an imaginitive touch! The announcements are good too - I have only ever used ones created from speech synthesisers (being from deepest Wiltshire, my announcements sound like they are being made by mutant turnip basher!).

re the flickering problems, I would agree with EP on this, 1mm is not enough and would suggest 5 or even 10mm is necessary. I have not had a look at the construction of any of the object files showng the problem to check if it is an option, but consideration could be given to combining two textures into a single bitmap (eg using Photoshop's 'layers').

The only real critical comment I would make is with the blue pixels on the tree textures. I have spent many a happy(?) hour trying to eradicate such features from trees myself and do appreciate the difficulty doing this. However, as these form a significant part of the scenery, it would be good to lose the blue.

The way that I deal with textures containing transparent regions which I want to 'cut' from photos or other images is to apply as much background colour to the (tightly cropped) bitmap image in normal 8 bit format as is easily possible before resizing using nearest neighbour resampling (not diffusion, as this will mix the backgroud colour into the object texture) and then convert to an indexed 8 bit image, applying no dithering, as this too will result in mixing of the colour at the boundary of the transparent region. As a final check, view the image as a negative (inverse) - it's surprising how many stray pixels this can show.

Biolizard

Hi,
I'm having a problem:
I try and load the Ongar route -- when i click 'OPEN' on the file it runs through the files and stuff at the bottom of the window, and then when it's finished it just stays on a blue screen (with bve on it). It does it with all 5 things (ie stormy, rainy, etc.) but doesn't do it on other routes. Any explanation anybody?
Cheers
Jonny

Got the 1938 stock installed to the right directory? That was the problem with mine, the installer put them in the wrong folder, and when I moved the files Ongar worked.

Harold

Downloaded and drove this route yesterday, excelent work, certainly is an improvement from the first release. The detail on this route is excelent, well done to all involved.

Harold.

tubenutter

Got the 1938 stock installed to the right directory? That was the problem with mine, the installer put them in the wrong folder, and when I moved the files Ongar worked.

Cheers, that worked perfectly!

Also agree, a fantastic route!

Hi, which particular trees/bushes are you having the blue halo with? The tree's are from the routebuilder's library and it displays fine at my side.

For those who has flickering problems, can you please send me screenshots of the affected objects, so that I can fix it according to the screenshot. Its hard to work on stuff that I dont see the problem with on my side.

Dennis

Established Member
This is the sort of thing I was highlighting - (part of the LHS of tree1.bmp)

tree1.JPG

The blue pixels which don't quite match the background colour can show up quite noticeably when close to the objects.

eezypeazy

Difficult to illustrate "flickering" in a static screenshot, but here goes...

The stonework on the corners of this otherwise superb station building at Ongar: in this still shot, you can see "strobing" across the stone, which varies dependent upon the distance you are from the object, hence the "flickering".....

ongar.jpg

Regards

eezypeazy

eezypeazy

It occurs wherever the object overlaps aren't sufficiently separated.... eg, the sign at the end of the Epping platform.... on my machine, it's also possible to see the flickering if you open Ongar Station in Structure Viewer, and zoom in and out of it.....

eezypeazy

Right, this object now has 1cm separation... has the flickering been eliminated or not?

Attachments

• ONG_building.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 6

eezypeazy

Er, sorry, no.... here it a screenshot, the object is in Structure Viewer and spun to show what I'm getting.....
ongar2.jpg

If it's any consolation, I find eliminating this in my objects quite time consuming.....

I think I can rationalise what's happening. If two faces occupy the same place, BVE tries to display them both, but it can't, so we see them alternating, which therefore appear to flicker. If two faces are placed near each other, one further forward than the other, this won't be a problem close-to, because BVE will have worked out the separation... but at some distance away, the separation won't be enough, so they'll flicker (I hope this is making sense...). This might show it better....

A detail from a signal box: the "sign" is a separate object, slightly ahead of the brickwork, but at this close an examination appears ok.....

lowrow2.jpg

But a short distance away, the "flickering" is apparent...

lowrow3.jpg

Anyone offer a solution?

eezypeazy

Regards

eezypeazy

Status
Not open for further replies.