• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Epping & Ongar railway resumption of services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Would like to sample their diesels one day, however bit of a trek from here lol! also the Olympic Torch passing through here on the 26th, Rock n Roll!

With a decent varied diesel fleet (Classes 03x2, 25 and 31 plus DMU and DEMU), hopefully they'll arrange a Diesel Gala once they've got trains running and settled down.

TGVDUDE

With a decent varied diesel fleet (Classes 03x2, 25 and 31 plus DMU and DEMU), hopefully they'll arrange a Diesel Gala once they've got trains running and settled down.

And 37, I might consider heading down for an arranged Gala if cheap advances can be had, as you say the varied fleet is appealing

anthony263

Established Member
And 37, I might consider heading down for an arranged Gala if cheap advances can be had, as you say the varied fleet is appealing

FGW do have some good advance fares on saturdays in fact I have travelled first class a couple of times to London because it was cheaper than traveling in standard.

Another plus is that I dont have to sit with all the drunks on the 1str few Swansea - London trains on a saturday morning.

On weekdays however I would suggest going up to London on megabus and getting the train back in the evening.

Pugwash

And to think they could have kept the electric rails down and had a heritage tube line 5 years ago.

TGVDUDE

On weekdays however I would suggest going up to London on megabus and getting the train back in the evening.

I've looked at this option a number of times, however i'd rather spend those hours on a train where i'm free to move about as I please etc, I don't find travelling on coaches that attractive! lol

341o2

Established Member
And to think they could have kept the electric rails down and had a heritage tube line 5 years ago.

This has been debated elsewhere on this forum & opinion is that the extra expense/legislation etc would make a heritage electric railway unfeasible.

Has the 3CIG unit arrived from the Swanage railway?

anthony263

Established Member
I've looked at this option a number of times, however i'd rather spend those hours on a train where i'm free to move about as I please etc, I don't find travelling on coaches that attractive! lol

You may be surprised but I myself agree with you although there is more room to move around in the new double deck coaches Megabus are operating..

Crawley Ben

It seems an awful lot of hard work has been put in by the volunteers and owners of the Railway. I for one, will be looking to go along at some point. I wish those at the Railway well, and hope everything works out well.

Ben

EOR-Simon

As kindly highlighted by anthony263, EOR will be running passenger services from 25th May, commencing with a special resumption of service weekend. We will then be running steam and diesel hauled services weekends and bank holidays, then daily during the Olympics.

There will be loco hauled trains Ongar to North Weald, with a heritage shuttle from North Weald into Epping forest.

We will also operate a heritage bus, running between Epping (LUL Central Line, Zone 6) to our station at North Weald at a regular frequency every day we are running. All three heritage transport experiences are included in your EOR ticket.

You can buy your ticket online now for all dates we are running (including the first weekend!), and even receive a discount: http://eorailway.co.uk/your-visit/booking-online/
You can also find us on Facebook, or follow us on twitter @eorailway

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
As kindly highlighted by anthony263, EOR will be running passenger services from 25th May, commencing with a special resumption of service weekend. We will then be running steam and diesel hauled services weekends and bank holidays, then daily during the Olympics.

There will be loco hauled trains Ongar to North Weald, with a heritage shuttle from North Weald into Epping forest.

We will also operate a heritage bus, running between Epping (LUL Central Line, Zone 6) to our station at North Weald at a regular frequency every day we are running. All three heritage transport experiences are included in your EOR ticket.

You can buy your ticket online now for all dates we are running (including the first weekend!), and even receive a discount: http://eorailway.co.uk/your-visit/booking-online/
You can also find us on Facebook, or follow us on twitter @eorailway

I will try to get there some time in the next few months, is Epping still in the Travelcard Zones? or will an extention ticket be required?

DVD

Did anyone go last weekend ? How was it ?

I can imagine Epping Ongar becoming very popular, must be the nearest preserved / heritage line to London.

anthony263

Established Member
Looking at other forums it seems a lot of people visisted the Epping & Ongar railway when it re-opened and all have given good reviews so far.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Well, from watching YoutUbe it looks a pretty scenic line, actually. I was wondering if a Hall might not be a bit wasted there, but it looks as if they get a good workout.

gazthomas

Established Member
I was there today, the sun came out, Hall and 37 on main run from Ongar to North Weald and 31 and 03 on Coopersale shuttle.

Friendly staff, clean coaching stock and novel change of trains at North Weald.

37 up the 1 in 60 back to Ongar very noisy too!

Great little line with massive potential.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I was there too yesterday, and did three trips on each section of line. An impressive line especially considering it has only just reopened and certainly has potential. The passenger numbers appeared good too although I was surprised by the lack of enthusiasts present.

gazthomas

Established Member
I was there too yesterday, and did three trips on each section of line. An impressive line especially considering it has only just reopened and certainly has potential. The passenger numbers appeared good too although I was surprised by the lack of enthusiasts present.
I think part of the problem is the lack of information on the website about which locos are running. Also there are no listings on Presgen either, which doesn't help visibility. I'll drop them an email as a suggestion.

I've uploaded a few of my photos from the day here:

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/photographer/2421

Also, the the 3-VEP it would be great to have a 73 or 33/1 there to join the 31 and 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.